Need Refresher Driving Lessons

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Location: New York, New Jersey and now The Villages (Virginia Trace)
Default Need Refresher Driving Lessons

Hello My Good Buddies. Now that I have a new puppy, who I adore, I need to hit the road. I lost my beloved husband Joe just five months ago and I have not driven in 25 years. Joe did all of the driving. Even though people have offered to take me out driving, I would feel better going to a professional. Does anyone have the name of a good driving school or instructor so I could have a couple of refresher lessons. Again, thanks for your help.

Maureen
Old 07-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Joaniesmom

Maureen, You are one smart Lady! While I don't know any driving instructors down there, I do want to applaud you for wanting to take a refresher driving course. Especially since you haven't driven for so long.

You are showing consideration for your fellow drivers, pedestrians and everyone else who you may encounter along the road.

One thing did just pop into my head. It's called, I think 55 Alive. Possibly sponsored by AAA.

So you love that puppy up and enjoy your life at TV. By the way, we would LOVE to see some pictures of your beautiful baby!

Joaniesmom

Joanie's mom
Pennsylvania, Ohio, The Villages
So happy to be here!
Old 07-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Location: NYC, NY, Eastern Pa, Bergen County NJ, Buttowood The Villages

I am a lic driving instructor in NEW JERSEY as well as a home owner in The Villages.. I am a snow bird...... I will be down by Nov 1st this year and if you need some attention would be happpy to help you. I am presently up North working . In the meantime if you would like some opinions give me a call anytime.....I am Rick 551 265 5662.......and good luck
Old 07-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Veteran member

Rick - how nice of you! What a great offer.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaniesmom View Post
One thing did just pop into my head. It's called, I think 55 Alive. Possibly sponsored by AAA.

Joaniesmom
55 Alive is an AARP program that does not actually take you out for driving lessons. But it is a driving education program that can reduce your auto insurance for a three year period once you complete the course. AAA does have a similar program and you can take it online. Not sure about the online bit with AARP though. More information can be obtained through a Google Search!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 07-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Gold member
Location: Northfield IL, Tampa FL, Norway, Boynton Beach FL, Highland Park IL, Gilchrist soon!

Oftentimes the county will sponsor a driving school or seminar for seniors. You can also check with the DMV and ask their help as there are state sponsored programs as well. I know they have them here in IL, and hopefully in Florida too!

Wherever I am is where I'm supposed to be
Old 07-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe View Post
Hello My Good Buddies. Now that I have a new puppy, who I adore, I need to hit the road. I lost my beloved husband Joe just five months ago and I have not driven in 25 years. Joe did all of the driving. Even though people have offered to take me out driving, I would feel better going to a professional. Does anyone have the name of a good driving school or instructor so I could have a couple of refresher lessons. Again, thanks for your help.

Maureen
Good for you girl!
Old 07-01-2012, 10:23 PM
Sage

First of all, let me express my condolences on your husband's passing.

Skyguy79 is right about AAA driving course.

Do you have a license? You go girl!!!!!!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).

Last edited by 2BNTV; 07-01-2012 at 10:26 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old 07-01-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villager View Post
Rick - how nice of you! What a great offer.
Nice of you to help. Way to go Rick!
Old 07-02-2012, 05:57 AM

Perhaps you could check with the high school to see if they offer a driver's education program. If they do, maybe the instructor would be willing to work with you.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Location: New York, New Jersey and now The Villages (Virginia Trace)

Thank you all for the great advice. I do have a Florida driver's license. I did drive (my Ford Explorer) over the weekend with my daughter to see if it was going to be too big. I did OK and I think I will be OK with the Explorer. My daughter Jennifer is going back to NJ tomorrow and I just think having a few lessons will make me feel more confident. My friend Eleanore got me going on the golf cart and I am doing OK with that. Wish me luck. I am going to give it my best shot.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe View Post
Thank you all for the great advice. I do have a Florida driver's license. I did drive (my Ford Explorer) over the weekend with my daughter to see if it was going to be too big. I did OK and I think I will be OK with the Explorer. My daughter Jennifer is going back to NJ tomorrow and I just think having a few lessons will make me feel more confident. My friend Eleanore got me going on the golf cart and I am doing OK with that. Wish me luck. I am going to give it my best shot.
You probably should let Rick help you along. Its good to have a professional give you help cause driving these days are not what it used to be, especially from what I've read about driving in the Villages. Could be a little intimidating. Good luck.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Mojo you are a power of example. I don't doubt that this is an extremely difficult time for you and I do admire your spunk...... Hey, why not call your new puppy Spunky.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.