Tankless Water heater

Closed Thread
Old 12-18-2014, 08:11 PM
Default Tankless Water heater

I am curious if anyone has changed there water heater to a hot water heater that is tankless. Does it perform good and what brands would anyone recommend. How much does installation cost for electric models? It seems we run out of hot water or have to turn it up full to get hot water. We have turned the temperature all the way up on the water heater and it is only a 40 gallon unit that is a year old.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:34 PM

Sounds like you might have a defective water heater. It shouldn't run out in any homes here in TV unless you run the hot water for an excessively long period of time - not likely. If only a year old, it must still be under warranty so I'd call some to take a look at the existing unit before you put in a different system.

I have no direct experience with tankless systems in my home but have used them in places overseas. They worked good but I think they are fairly expensive to buy and install plus don't last as long as a good water heater tank like most of us have.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:39 PM
Sage

I had a gas tankless heater before moving to TV. It was fabulous and had a recirculating pump that provided instant hot water for a 4200 sq ft house. It also came with a lifetime warranty.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:51 PM

That would be a great system to have for around here. We haven't had a problem running out of hot water but it can take a long time to get it all the way from the tank at one end of the house to the guest bath at the other end.

To the OP, I just did a "Search" on Tankless Hot Water Heater and TOV returned a bunch of previous threads about this very topic. Many of them seem like they would give you some good, recent info for tankless here in TV.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:02 AM
Platinum member

We had a Renai (sp) gas tankless in NC and loved it. Saves fuel because it only heats the water as you use it and we never ran out of hot water. Cost was about $1000 and installation about $250. Don't know what it would be here in Fla but we plan to replace our current water heater with a tankless when it becomes necessary.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I asked the builder of our previous home (not in The Villages) about tankless electirc water heaters and he didn't recommend them. He told me he had put in several but wound up replacing them with a conventional electric tank water heater because of problems. He didn't elaborate on the problems. This was 10-15 years ago. He does install many gas tankless and has had good success with those. Also, keep in mind that you will probably need a 60 or 120 amp circuit for a tankless electric - will may need to upgrade your electric service. We have a 40 gallon electric tank water heater and have not seen any issues with hot water. Electric water heaters typically have 2 heating elements - perhaps only one of your is working?? I would have someone check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCHAMBY2000@YAHOO.COM View Post
I am curious if anyone has changed there water heater to a hot water heater that is tankless. Does it perform good and what brands would anyone recommend. How much does installation cost for electric models? It seems we run out of hot water or have to turn it up full to get hot water. We have turned the temperature all the way up on the water heater and it is only a 40 gallon unit that is a year old.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.