Telemarket Calls

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2017, 03:28 PM
Gold member

nomorobo only works with internet-based phones (VOIP), not wired landlines like Century Link.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

When I first got my Centurylink landline in 2011 I had the same problem. One of the unsolicited callers was Centurylink calling every month to sell me their Prism TV. I'd tell them I'm very happy with Directv. Then about the third month in a row, I said for what I'm paying you, I should have 'call block' added to my phone for free.

The next Monday they added call block for free. The only problem is it can only handle 12 numbers. When I get a call I don't want to ever call again, or see a caller ID number that I don't want. I pick up the phone and dial *60, then I dial #01#. The last number to have called is blocked forever. I keep a list because I always have 12 numbers, so I have to delete one to add another. I delete the oldest number, usually about 3 months old, and then add the newest number.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:36 PM
Platinum member

We have been getting a lot of telemarketing calls.
Just checked and nomorobo isn't used with Brighthouse.

What my hisband has been doing is taking the phone numers and manually blocking them on our phone. Phone rings once and that's it.

Has cut down a lot on all the calls.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:36 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed2bntv View Post
i ask them their home number and what time they eat dinner so i can call them back.
lol
Old 02-19-2017, 07:15 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,338 Posts

I hang up on computer calls, I drive live calls crazy until they hang up on me. Great way to relieve life strains.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:25 AM
Gold member
Default Amusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I like talking to telemarketers, but they don't like talking to me. I try to sell them something.
I too am on the no call list. I expect few people report calls to the no call list-I do most of the time. For people who do not report these calls that explains why it is not as effective as it should be.

If, I recall, under the law political calls and surveys are not restricted so you will have gotten calls like, are you happy with your lawn service.

Often, these calls come in at diner time. To me that is inconsiderate and rude. This is a volume effort. The caller needs to make so many calls per hour. You can see how long you can keep them on the phone.

I suggest-Wow I am very interested in your left handed pen. Just a minute I'm in the middle of making tomato sauce for diner-hold on it will just take a second for me to stir it. You can come back if you choose or just put down the phone with the line open. Or, you can come back and then say, I think it needs more salt-what do your think?
With one-after salt I asked the same question about oregano.

It is nasty-so is calling me, who is on the do not call list.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:40 AM
Gold member
Default re: your issue with century link

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
When I first got my Centurylink landline in 2011 I had the same problem. One of the unsolicited callers was Centurylink calling every month to sell me their Prism TV. I'd tell them I'm very happy with Directv. Then about the third month in a row, I said for what I'm paying you, I should have 'call block' added to my phone for free.

The next Monday they added call block for free. The only problem is it can only handle 12 numbers. When I get a call I don't want to ever call again, or see a caller ID number that I don't want. I pick up the phone and dial *60, then I dial #01#. The last number to have called is blocked forever. I keep a list because I always have 12 numbers, so I have to delete one to add another. I delete the oldest number, usually about 3 months old, and then add the newest number.
The do not call list exempts people you are already doing business with so legally they can call you.

Re; using call block
These companies almost always have several numbers such as 986-1000, 986-1001, 986-1002 etc. Hint when you do want to call some company and the number posted is 986-1000 should you keep getting a busy signal try 986-1001.

I expect, century link after your complaint added your name to their internal do not call list.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:16 AM

Tons on our cellphones since moving to o Verizon.... I do the same thI got, don't answer calls I don't recognize but it's annoying! I may do nomorobo.com. Never had this before we moved here from CA
Old 02-20-2017, 06:42 AM

The reason DoNotCall.gov doesn't 'work' is that it is simply a digital list of numbers that telemarketers are 'supposed' to get and then not call. There is no automation associated with it. It is up to the FTC to enforce it and it is very difficult for them to do so. Robo sales calls are almost impossible to ID, and telemarketers have become very adept at disguising their calls as 'surveys', or 'polls' (and at not revealing who exactly they are). Charities, political calls and others are exempt (does anyone think your local Congressman would vote for something that would prevent them from calling you for donations?). I know a bit about it because I implemented the Do Not Call system back when I was a Gov IT geek at the FTC.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:34 AM

If I don't recognize the number on Caller ID I usually ignore it. Should I happen to pick it up, I will either just hang up or when I feel in a playful mode I say, "Can you hang on for just a second" then put the phone down and walk away.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:52 AM

Not offering any advise - just a story I find amusing. While my son was in college he had a friend that took a job as a telemarketer. One day he happened to call the Army Recruiter. It turned out the Army Recruiter was better at sales than he was and talked him into a five year enlistment.

On the bright side, five years in the Army did him much more good than the health club membership he was selling would have done for the recruiter.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:27 AM

I thought I was pretty savvy but this is the first time I've heard of nomorobo. Just signed up our landline. Can't wait for the Android version. Thanks for the lead!!
Old 02-21-2017, 09:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default OhioBuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsonci View Post
I get a lot of unwanted calls. I no longer answer any calls if I don't know who it is. I screen all calls and answer very few and if they don't leave a message, I don't call back.
MIXSONCI, I know the feeling. When I get a call & if it doesn't list the name that's in my contacts, I disconnect it. If its that important they leave a voice mail. Personally I don't have a landline. The bad thing with my system about not recognizing a phone # is there's so many people I know here in TV that I don't have listed in my contacts that have number that appear that say, Calif. Maine, OH. ect. ect. so I don't answer. But I do agree the "Do Not Call List" seems like a waste. Maybe they're selling our numbers to telemarketers!
Old 02-21-2017, 11:37 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybeachgal View Post
I thought I was pretty savvy but this is the first time I've heard of nomorobo. Just signed up our landline. Can't wait for the Android version. Thanks for the lead!!
You will love nomorobo! It has cut my robocalls to about ZERO.

I learned about it from an AARP representative at a lunch.

I also have a Call Block feature on my Panasonic phone at home. I use that for the various sales calls - or even some annoying people - with the 352 area code.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:50 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Try this: Call a number you know is disconnected and not in service from your cell. When you know it will answer with the "da, da,da, the number you have called is not in service.." spiel then go to your answering machine and select "record greeting". Redial the disconnected number, put it on speaker and start recording your "greeting". Set your answering to 2 rings or less and in a short while, the calls stop! The "da da da" is picked up by the robo call machines and your number is dropped from further calling.

Tags
call, morgan, unwanted, calls, teeth

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.