Thermostat Settings

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2015, 02:48 PM
Default Thermostat Settings

I am a snowbird. When I leave I set the lower temperature at 62 and the upper at 78. What temperatures do you set it at?
Old 02-11-2015, 02:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsnider View Post
I am a snowbird. When I leave I set the lower temperature at 62 and the upper at 78. What temperatures do you set it at?
50 and 80 - and I recommend installing a humidistat
Old 02-11-2015, 05:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member

That is ok. But turn the water to the house off.
Humidity is the problem so a humanist is a good idea. Temp could the be set a little higher.
We use 78 and ceiling fans on low, when we are here and 80 or 82 when we leave. If needed our humanist will lower the temp 3 degrees.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:55 PM
Veteran member

I also agree that if you are a snowbird or leave your house empty for a number of months, you really should consider having a humidistat installed.

We had Munn's install it and it cost us approx. $100. I figure that we saved the $100 in the first three summer months that we were not in our villa in AC costs. My brother in law also purchased a newer unit that was an all-in-one unit, humidistat/thermostat and installed by Munn's as well. A little more sophisticated than mine and it cost approx. $300.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:57 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

You guys and gals should have a look at the Nest Thermostat. It's ideal for snowbirds and the integration with the Protect smoke and CO2 alarms is outstanding.

Http://Nest.com

Call or txt anytime @ (352) 388-1677

Tom@VillagerAV.com
Old 02-11-2015, 10:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagesAV.com View Post
You guys and gals should have a look at the Nest Thermostat. It's ideal for snowbirds and the integration with the Protect smoke and CO2 alarms is outstanding.

Http://Nest.com

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-11-2015, 10:46 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

55 and 82. If you have one of the new programmable thermostats, simply put it on vacation mode. It is set for proper temperatures to work with its humidistat. If you are not going to have your house checked by someone, a dehumidistat is a very good investment.

Other good things to do are turn your water to the house off; fill plastic bags with ice and place one over any drainpipe, especially the shower; put some toilet bowl cleaner or bleach in each toilet, cover bowl with plastic wrap; put your garage door on lock; unplug fridge and be sure to leave doors open; open all closet and cabinet doors; get a surge protector from SECO.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-12-2015, 01:50 PM

Also we pour a half cup of mineral oil in the sump of the dishwasher and into the garbage disposal.This prevents them from rusting and locking up.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:18 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
55 and 82. If you have one of the new programmable thermostats, simply put it on vacation mode. It is set for proper temperatures to work with its humidistat. If you are not going to have your house checked by someone, a dehumidistat is a very good investment.

Other good things to do are turn your water to the house off; fill plastic bags with ice and place one over any drainpipe, especially the shower; put some toilet bowl cleaner or bleach in each toilet, cover bowl with plastic wrap; put your garage door on lock; unplug fridge and be sure to leave doors open; open all closet and cabinet doors; get a surge protector from SECO.

And have someone check your house inside and out periodically. Have them flush toilets (replace toilet cleaner)and turn water on at each sink for a moment, this prevents trap drying out and letting sewer gasses in. Definitely turn your water off inside the house. Quarter turn valve usually near garage door on inside of outside wall.

BTW, not a bad idea to turn water off even for short absences. This bit of advise based on a personal and unpleasant experience,
Old 02-12-2015, 04:34 PM
Veteran member

We just bought a new house - the villages suggests 60 and 82. Frankly, don't know why you could not go lower on the low end. The high end is to keep the humidity down, so not sure why you need a humidistat on top of that.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:01 PM
Default Humidistat

Oaky, I got a humidistat. What humidity level should I set it at?

Thanks

Bill Snider
Old 02-25-2015, 08:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Are you gone for the summer and want to know what to set it at while you are gone or are you here all year round? If you are gone for the summer, I would ask your AC company for their recommendation for temp and humidity while you are gone and/or google it to see if you can find some recommendations. Hopefully some snowbirds will chime in. If you are here all year round, I have mine set to the minimum relative humidity as I like it dry in the summer. All this really does is keep the AC running a bit longer and the temperature sometimes goes below what I have it set at in an attempt to meet the humidity level I am asking for. Hope this helps some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsnider View Post
Oaky, I got a humidistat. What humidity level should I set it at?

Thanks

Bill Snider
Old 03-26-2015, 05:10 AM

We had a Honeywell humidistat installed a few days ago by John Carmichael (JC's A/C, 352-728-5338). He was able to install it the same day I called. The installed price was $150.

Munn's had quoted $214 for the same installation.

While JC was here I asked him to check the a/c as well.

Carmichael has been in "heating and a/c" since 1990, and fully "state" certified. He's a very low-pressure, nice guy. We'll use him again.

Best,
Casey
Old 03-26-2015, 06:28 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post

Can I ask? What's the reason for the ice in shower? Thanks
Old 03-26-2015, 06:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaLarry View Post
Can I ask? What's the reason for the ice in shower? Thanks

To prevent critters and trap evaporation. It's easier to install ice rather than water into a plastic bag.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.