The Time For a Performing Arts Center is Now

Closed Thread
Old 01-24-2010, 09:52 PM
Default The Time For a Performing Arts Center is Now

We are getting close again to The Villages Annual Survey. Last year almost 800 residents took the time to enter in the comments section of the "2009 Annual Villages Survey" in both "The Developers" section and "The VCDDD" section" comments that a New Performing Arts Center to replace Savannah Center is required for our community.

These comments took many people by surprise and has lead to members of the AAC (on the north side of Route 466) to request VCDDD staff to submit to University of Florida consultants plans for a architectural and cost study to retrofit Savannah Center with "rake" or slooping seating and permanent seats rather than replacement of temporary folding chairs with other temporary chairs.

As noble and meaningful request as this is, it is the only action the AAC could take given their limited power and funding. However, this action does not resolve the real issue and that is that Savannah Center is presently an inadequate facility that is:
- Too small to attract larger acts or a higher quality of "named" acts
- Too small to attract productions with scenery or sceneray changes
- Has poor acoustics
- Has poor lighting
- Is not friendly for residents with disabilities
- Has a stage which is too small for any type of dancing program
- Has poor temperature control
- Has no facilities for handling coats (remember those recent cold days)
- and of course could use stadium seating so that all seats have a clear
unobstructed view of the stage
- Has inadequate dressing room facilities for artists
- Has no storage areas for our talented resident music and Theatre groups
- and many other inadequacies

What is necesary is for Mark Morse or his designate representing the Developer, The VCDDD, The AAC, The Volunteers Peforming Arts Alliance (VPAA, a not for profit corporation that has been established to establish, build and operate a New Performing Arts Center), and others to jointly identify a location that can be used to locate a New State-of-the Art Performing Arts Center for which our community of close to 200,000 people (Villages and those of surrounding communities) can be proud of and which can attract higher quality entertainment, plays, and events.

However, to get this ball rolling more than the previous 8oo residents MUST make the case that a New Performing Arts Center is required. As of now everyone but Mark Morse is listening. This doesn't make him a bad person it just means that we need many THOUSANDS of residents to make their voices heard to get his attention.

The Polo Field is a great venue for watching this thrilling sport. But more people attend events at the inadequate Savannah Cente then attend matches at the Polo Field. So why can't we get Mr. Morse's attention to provide land for a New Performing Arts Center? Apparently the numbers of residents who have requested a New State-of-the Art Performing Arts Center is not large enough to get his attention.

So starting today we need everyone to pass this message along, to tell your neighbors and friends, to mention it a club meetings and at the golf courses, exercise classes, Town Squares, and on The Talk of The Villages" that we the residents request that a New Performing Arts Center be located and built within the area of The Villages on land donated by Mr. Morse.

What a fitting memorial to The Villages Founder, Harold Schwartz, to have the Harold Schwartz Memorial Performing Arts Center be located within The Villages attracting local, national and international artists; providing a venue for the children or our Charter Schools; providing advanced music, Dance and Theatre courses in association with our local colleges and the University of Florida System; providing state-of the art facilities for our many talented resident musicians, actors, artists, and dancers,

The action must be taken now; the Annual Survey is the only vehicle we know of to get the message accross; to get the desires of the residents in the minds and plans of Mr. Morse and his wonderful design and construction teams.

Therefore, PLEASE follow these instructions to the letter for your desire for a New Performing Arts Center to be heard.

In Both "The Developers" Section and "The VCDDD" Section of the new "2010 Villages Annual Survey" when it comes out in late March or early April begin your comments with these words and these words only

A New Performing Arts Center is necessary ...........................

Let the voices of the residents of The Villagers be heard.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:53 AM
Platinum member

I agree that a large, multi-use, state of the art performing arts center is a wonderful idea. But we are in a unique situation here, closer to the monarchy than the democratic model. But let's assume this is a benevolent monarchy where citizens can speak and be listened to.

Allow me to play the character Mr Morse, and forgive me for admitting that I have neither met him nor know anything about him.
As Mr Morse, I directly and indirectly receive scores of requests from the citizens. Most involve spending my money, which I am not entirely opposed to, under certain conditions. The Performing Arts Center is a worthwhile idea and could be a huge asset to The Villages, but I can't get involved in an idea unless there is little or no risk of failure and a limit to my financial involvement. I wish the citizens would form a committee, committed to developing the whole scope and detail of a center, concentrating on how it would be used, who would use it, and especially how it would be managed and how it could be financially self-sustaining. If such a committee were to come to me with a comprehensive proposal, my representatives would be willing to review it, and try to agree on the how and who uses of a facility. If the proposal had a convincing management and future financial plan, I might donate a suitable space near Sumter Landing and a significant segment of construction costs.

OK so maybe you think my characterization is laughable.
I'm a member of the Villages Woodshop. It is an amazing facility, which I'm told was constructed on land donated by the Developer, built and equipped by the Developer. It happened because volunteers made a detailed proposal with answers about management, future operations, safety, insurance, etc. In short, everything they could think of to answer any objection and make the proposal feasible. It became the classic win-win idea. It has physically expanded, financed the purchase of new equipment, and it's many members have made significant contributions to the community with woodshop projects.

No matter how hard we try, and despite the fact that our tax dollars go straight to Lake, Marion and Sumter counties, I do not foresee any county funded performing arts facility located within TV. But I think it's possible that we will have one if WE put our heads together and come up with a feasible, perhaps irresistible plan.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Deleted because it was dumb.

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-25-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijusluvit View Post
If the proposal had a convincing management and future financial plan, I might donate a suitable space near Sumter Landing and a significant segment of construction costs.

======

No matter how hard we try, and despite the fact that our tax dollars go straight to Lake, Marion and Sumter counties, I do not foresee any county funded performing arts facility located within TV. But I think it's possible that we will have one if WE put our heads together and come up with a feasible, perhaps irresistible plan.
Great post. It's a good idea to look at this from a business perspective since I'm sure that's how Morse would look at it. I'm sure the donation of the land would be the easy part of such a venture. The expensive part would be building the auditorium. Such an auditorium would cost many millions of dollars and for it to be financially viable it would have to draw large sellout crowds willing to pay the going rate for "name brand" entertainment (far more than the $15 - $20 that is charged at the Savannah Center). Given that it seems like the Savannah Center has trouble selling out at cheap prices, it would be an understandable concern if a larger venue could sell out at even higher ticket prices even if the entertainment was more name brand.

I would think that to pursue such a proposal, the target location for it would be in Brownwood. This would put it closer to the turnpike and I-75 to allow it to draw from a larger population pool. It would also allow for some economy in building it since the parking lots already planned for Brownwood could double for parking for the center. From a business perspective, it would serve as a major draw for prospective buyers of houses in the new sections of TV. Afterall, I'm sure that is the primary motivator behind any decisions of such magnitude by the Morse family. Finally, since Brownwood is very close to Wildwood, placement of such a facility there may actually be viewed by the Wildwood and/or Sumter County government as a worthwhile project to warrant tax dollars - as a means to help stimulate the Wildwood economy.

Just my thoughts.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:21 PM
Platinum member

The quantity of entertainment offered in TV has always amazed me. And, 99.9% of the time, so has the quality.

And almost always for less than $20. No way you can beat that in "The Big City!"

And, I've always wished for a better (especially more comfortable) venue. But, I am in full agreement with NJblue's observations that a really, truly top notch venue is going to mean much, much higher prices. Sure, there are many folks in TV and elsewhere who would willingly pay even as much as $50 for a good show - but I doubt very seriously that there are enough of them to sustain a multi-million dollar performing arts center.

Still and all, I highly support the notion that our responses to the upcoming survey must repeatedly suggest a better center!

SWR
Old 01-25-2010, 03:30 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie101 View Post

So starting today we need everyone to pass this message along, to tell your neighbors and friends, to mention it a club meetings and at the golf courses, exercise classes, Town Squares, and on The Talk of The Villages" that we the residents request that a New Performing Arts Center be located and built within the area of The Villages on land donated by Mr. Morse.
Why should we expect Mr. Morse to donate the land?
Old 01-25-2010, 04:16 PM
Gold member

I will definately add my 2 cents on the survey regarding a better facility....the present one at Savannah is slightly less than adequate.....
Old 01-25-2010, 05:50 PM
Sage
Default Can we just demand generosity, even folly?

Quote:
However, to get this ball rolling more than the previous 8oo residents MUST make the case that a New Performing Arts Center is required. As of now everyone but Mark Morse is listening.

Apparently the numbers of residents who have requested a New State-of-the Art Performing Arts Center is not large enough to get his attention.

So starting today we need everyone to request that a New Performing Arts Center be ...built...on land donated by Mr. Morse.

Therefore, PLEASE follow these instructions to the letter...

begin your comments with these words and these words only

A New Performing Arts Center is necessary ...........................
Well gosh, darnit. Is it just me or does this tone seem a bit harsh for requesting a donation, (let alone one that might hemmorhage money for years to come)? If it is financially viable, I would welcome a new performing arts center. I don't think I can conscientiously claim that one is necessary.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Gold member

Another point to consider is that once the developer has built his last home in TV and steps out of the picture, the home owners will pay for all the recreation infrastructure maintenance and operating costs. Would be interesting to know how much the developer is subsidizing the current facilities, common area maintenance, etc. Everyone could be in for sticker shock when the total cost of all ammenities is paid by the home owners.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:29 PM
Platinum member

I would think that the Morse family would have built such a facility if it would be a profitable venue. They are very smart business people. Just look around TV, business's that have high prices don't stay in business very long. We live a great lifestyle, but don't throw our money around.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:38 PM
Platinum member

Before arbitrarily requesting a Performing Arts Center via the annual survey, there are some questions we need answered.

How much is it going to cost?

Who is going to pay for it?

Who is going to own it?

Who is going to pay the annual expenses?

How much it cost to attend?

What caliber of performers can we expect?

Must it be in The Villages?

Will it be self sustaining?

Will its expense impact on our amenity fees, annual maintenance fees, taxes, or in any other way add to the expense of living here?

Would I consider being in favor of a local Performing Arts Center? Absolutely, if am satisfied with the answers to the above questions.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:01 PM

To address most of your valid concerns

1) A non-profit group has been formed to establish and run the facility on a pay as you go and as almost all such facilities around the country with assistance from benefactors, corporate grants, donations, and ticket prices. This group has implemented customer surveys, hired consultants to evaluate potential mix of programs, financial viability, preliminery architectural plans, and evaluation of potential locations.

The best location to serve the most people is within the Villages. The best use o the facility is in conjunction with the Villages Entertainent Department not in competition with it.

To secure land (obviously donated land reduces the costs of construction tremendously) within the Villages, to work with the entertainment departmnt requieres the interaction and cooperation of Mr. Morse, as well as the VCDDD, SLCDD, AAC and county and local governments.

All parties that have been contacted including all of the above have been "unofficially" enthusastic about such an endeavor. Mr. Morse through his representatives has not been so forthcoming.

His cooperation, the assistance of the outstanding Desgn and COnstruction people, the assistance of the entertainment department, the input from all the talented Villages emploees would go along way to making sure that this facility would be both a entertainment and financial success.

It would be run by an independent not-for-profit cooperation with no financial ties or responsibilities to The Villages or require funding through Amenity Fees.

However, Location a usual is vital.

However, everyone is waiting for Mr. Morse's input and go ahead. and that is not going to come about without a larger show of interest from Villages residents.

Unforunately, in the real world there would be press coverage, people would see articles, pictures, stories, interviews, radio and TV coverage about the plans as we all know this does not occur (and has not occurred) without "the blessing" ; thus "Talk of the Villages" becomes the only way to reach Villages residents, and for you to discuss with friends and neighbors.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:11 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
To address most of your valid concerns.
Thanks, Minnie, for that detailed answer. Before your answer my concerns were numerous but now they are satisfied.

Well, almost satisfied. A lot of people get a lot of enjoyment out of our existing venues. I realize they are not top of the class but the entertainment is quite good and the price seems right. Would a new venue impact detrimentally on the existing ones?

One other question. Why these references to "Mr. Morse"? If it is a viable project, go for it. Making an individual the bad guy doesn't help your cause.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
To address most of your valid concerns

1) A non-profit group has been formed to establish and run the facility on a pay as you go and as almost all such facilities around the country with assistance from benefactors, corporate grants, donations, and ticket prices. This group has implemented customer surveys, hired consultants to evaluate potential mix of programs, financial viability, preliminery architectural plans, and evaluation of potential locations.

The best location to serve the most people is within the Villages. The best use o the facility is in conjunction with the Villages Entertainent Department not in competition with it.

To secure land (obviously donated land reduces the costs of construction tremendously) within the Villages, to work with the entertainment departmnt requieres the interaction and cooperation of Mr. Morse, as well as the VCDDD, SLCDD, AAC and county and local governments.

All parties that have been contacted including all of the above have been "unofficially" enthusastic about such an endeavor. Mr. Morse through his representatives has not been so forthcoming.

His cooperation, the assistance of the outstanding Desgn and COnstruction people, the assistance of the entertainment department, the input from all the talented Villages emploees would go along way to making sure that this facility would be both a entertainment and financial success.

It would be run by an independent not-for-profit cooperation with no financial ties or responsibilities to The Villages or require funding through Amenity Fees.

However, Location a usual is vital.

However, everyone is waiting for Mr. Morse's input and go ahead. and that is not going to come about without a larger show of interest from Villages residents.

Unforunately, in the real world there would be press coverage, people would see articles, pictures, stories, interviews, radio and TV coverage about the plans as we all know this does not occur (and has not occurred) without "the blessing" ; thus "Talk of the Villages" becomes the only way to reach Villages residents, and for you to discuss with friends and neighbors.
Minnie,
Thanks for the additional information. Could you share the study (a pdf link maybe)? It would be helpful to know more about the financial assumptions, proposed location, architectural recommendations and other details. I don't know whether locating within, but having "no responsibilities to" The Villages is a good thing.

If Mr. Morse's representatives are not sold on the idea, I would at least like to know what their concerns are.

I don't usually throw either my support or opposition to something in my community that I know so little about, but interested in knowing more and could possible support this. Thanks again.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:28 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Minnie,
Thanks for the additional information. Could you share the study (a pdf link maybe)? It would be helpful to know more about the financial assumptions, proposed location, architectural recommendations and other details. I don't know whether locating within, but having "no responsibilities to" The Villages is a good thing.

If Mr. Morse's representatives are not sold on the idea, I would at least like to know what their concerns are.

I don't usually throw either my support or opposition to something in my community that I know so little about, but interested in knowing more and could possible support this. Thanks again.
My thoughts exactly. Share the full details of what's been done in a pdf. Let people read the detail and make further suggestions about next steps. Your current strategy seems to be focused on the single step of asking for survey support. Consider inviting people to a meeting to brainstorm new ideas. Brainstorming is hard to do in a venue like this, but can be amazing within an in-person meeting of informed, interested people. Hang in there!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.