Tire marks on epoxy garage floor

Closed Thread
Old 02-04-2016, 01:07 PM
Default Tire marks on epoxy garage floor

I have an epoxy floor and would not do it again. I have tire marks everywhere a tire has been parked on it. Was told it was because I pulled in with hot tires. Or it was because one of the cars has high performance tires. Well my GOLF CART leaves marks.
Have tried to clean with a rubber removing compound with no success.
Not a happy camper. Would have put pads where tires would be if only I had been told that every tire would stain it.
Painter looked at it and said he will repaint stained areas. He is well known and has excellent reviews. He did home interior and did beautiful job.
Can any expert out there tell me if it sounds like the sealer was too thin?
Will let you know how it turns out. His reputation leaves me optimistic at this point
Old 02-04-2016, 01:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I have epoxy plus a clear coat on my garage floor. It is still pristine. It was done by Tim Miller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardandsheila View Post
I have an epoxy floor and would not do it again. I have tire marks everywhere a tire has been parked on it. Was told it was because I pulled in with hot tires. Or it was because one of the cars has high performance tires. Well my GOLF CART leaves marks.
Not a happy camper. Would have put pads where tires would be if only I had been told that every tire would stain it.
Painter looked at it and said he will repaint stained areas. He is well known and has excellent reviews. He did home interior and did beautiful job.
Will let you know how it turns out. His reputation leaves me optimistic at this point
Old 02-04-2016, 01:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Are you sure you have an EPOXY coating in your garage? These very rarely are stained. Maybe you have a coating that looks like epoxy.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:00 PM
Veteran member

I have the same problem. Car & cart left tire marks that won't come off with scrubbing or even acetone. The painter said it shouldn't be happening. He used Sherwin-Williams products, so I wonder if dealer knows what he/she was talking about.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:04 PM

Mine was also Sherman Williams
Old 02-04-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Sounds like they may have applied a water based epoxy, which will react that way to hot tires. Should only use an oil-based product which will not mark.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I get some tire marks on my epoxy floor, I use a magic eraser and it comes up easily.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannon451 View Post
Sounds like they may have applied a water based epoxy, which will react that way to hot tires. Should only use an oil-based product which will not mark.
AH!! very interesting, I had never used the water based products, but this makes sense. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:57 PM

Not sure if you have epoxy. Tim The Toolman did ours and no tire marks from cart or car. You are welcome to come see our garage floor it you'd like to compare it to yours. PM me for address.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Decorative Concrete did ours 18 months ago, no tire marks from tires on car or carts. From what I've heard there are different types of Epoxy for various applications but, since I know nothing about that stuff I could only trust the recommendations from many when I contracted with Cliff. Maybe I just got lucky, but my garage looks like the day it was done.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-04-2016, 04:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Was told it was because I pulled in with hot tires.
I doubt that would cause it. How hot can tires get? They get warm, but you can still touch them. Your garage in summer gets way hotter than those tires.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Tim "the tool man" Miller did ours---not a mark on it
Old 02-04-2016, 08:39 PM

Our garage floor was done by Omar's Painting. It is epoxy and doesn't have a mark on it. We are very happy with the outcome.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:22 PM

Another recommendation for Tim Miller. Nearly 3 yrs. and not one problem. Love it.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:42 AM
Gold member

I bought the epoxy base and clear coat both at Lowe's and did the job myself and after nearly a year, there is still not a mark on it anywhere. We are very happy with the results. The water that drops from the AC and rain has to be mopped up it all because nothing soaks in.
Closed Thread

Tags
tire, tires, marks, told, floor, leaves, epoxy, beautiful, job, interior, home, stained, repaint, areas, excellent, reviews, turns, reputation, point, optimistic, expert, sounds, thin, sealer, camper

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.