Today I Realized The Value of Our Gates

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2017, 01:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
In our cart, heading North on BV at Hillsborough Gate. I was the fifth cart in line to cross at the gate. There were about five cars waiting to enter in resident lane. The gate attendant was enjoying an exceedingly long brain fart and left the non-resident gate arm in the up position, it took an excruciatingly long time to get across Hillsborough Trail. In anticipation of a popular retort to these sort of posts, I am not in a hurry. I just prefer to waste time sitting on a bench with a view rather than in a traffic jam wondering when my I will get my turn at avoiding being center punched by a landscaper driving a big diesel truck. Let's summarize. I am not complaining about traffic, I am advocating the continued use of gate arms controlled either electronically or by alert attendants. All-in-all, it was a great drive. Left Walgreens Mulberry Grove and went all the way to lunch at McCallister's Brownwood and back to Springdale. Including the side tracking, we covered 35 miles in the cart.
Okay. I just read your post and still don't know what it is that made you "realize the value of the gates????"
Old 03-22-2017, 04:28 AM

Quote:
In our cart, heading North on BV at Hillsborough Gate. I was the fifth cart in line to cross at the gate. There were about five cars waiting to enter in resident lane. The gate attendant was enjoying an exceedingly long brain fart and left the non-resident gate arm in the up position, it took an excruciatingly long time to get across Hillsborough Trail. In anticipation of a popular retort to these sort of posts, I am not in a hurry. I just prefer to waste time sitting on a bench with a view rather than in a traffic jam wondering when my I will get my turn at avoiding being center punched by a landscaper driving a big diesel truck. Let's summarize. I am not complaining about traffic, I am advocating the continued use of gate arms controlled either electronically or by alert attendants. All-in-all, it was a great drive. Left Walgreens Mulberry Grove and went all the way to lunch at McCallister's Brownwood and back to Springdale. Including the side tracking, we covered 35 miles in the cart.
Nice day for an otherwise enjoyable drive- fresh air great views and loving the life!
Old 03-22-2017, 07:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
Okay. I just read your post and still don't know what it is that made you "realize the value of the gates????"
When operated as they are supposed to be, they regulate the flow of all traffic so that neither cars nor golf carts are delayed too long.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic fox View Post
when operated as they are supposed to be, they regulate the flow of all traffic so that neither cars nor golf carts are delayed too long.
well said!
Old 03-22-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
let see how much trouble this starts.
Number one it is a privilege to drive a cart on the roads and they do not have the right of way.
on top of all the cart idiots that come out of the cart lane with out using there signal or yield the right of way to the cars.
again carts do not have the right of way on top of the gate attendant can't see the cross path of the golf carts and that isn't there responsibility to keep cart traffic moving but to keep cars moving.
Lets see how many angry people get pis*ed off on this comment that think carts have the right of way!
No one "has" the right of way until it is given to them.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
That's quite far. You must have a gas golf cart?

Maybe the attendant fell asleep at the wheel? LOL.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:22 PM
Sage

Maybe the attendant needed to use the restroom?

I know they leave them up when they have a pressing need.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-22-2017, 02:31 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post

Gas cart and we topped it off at the Shell where they sell the big burgers on the way down....didn't really need to but my wife is "cautious".
Old 03-22-2017, 03:47 PM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Maybe the attendant needed to use the restroom?

I know they leave them up when they have a pressing need.
I like the way you think. I'm always looking for a possible reason for whatever is going on thats out of the ordinary. There usually is an explanation that makes sense to the other persons point of view. None of us are without the ability to make mistakes.

Personally I'm glad that we have the gates and the 35 speed limit. They allow us to mingle in many modes of transportation, and I'll admit it, time to think hey where am I going ? . . oh yeah that's right mailbox, Oh but look at that bird and that biker.

I do wonder at the complacency of some golf cart drivers that merge without hand signals or worry that they might be in a cars blind spot. Not much protection in a cart vs car situation. All in all I'd say we do pretty darn well at it all.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:19 PM

Maybe if the gate house operator's told the vehicles to pull up to gate and then they opened it we would stand a chance,no they open it while they are coming through the guest gate lane and they fly by.Think the villages need to give these people a refresher course before someone gets t-boned.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post

Not that far for an electric either....it's when you push 50 miles that electric can get a little scary. Unless of course, you are driving one of the older electrics, then it's scary all the time. We have two electrics and no distance anxiety...so far.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-22-2017, 07:29 PM

My bigger concern is the crossing at Morse and Bonita where there is no gate. Cars fly through there with nothing to slow them down. This is the only entrance into TV where there is a cart crossing with no gate that I know of.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:35 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
Wouldn't it have been more enjoyable to drive your car?
Why live in a golf cart community if you're going to drive your car everywhere.? Never understand people saying if it's more then a 20 minute ride I'll take the car. You see things in your cart you'll never see in a car. People that need to use their cars are the same folks that never stop & smell the roses...JMHO
Old 03-22-2017, 08:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,929 Times in 2,454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
let see how much trouble this starts.
Number one it is a privilege to drive a cart on the roads and they do not have the right of way.
on top of all the cart idiots that come out of the cart lane with out using there signal or yield the right of way to the cars.
again carts do not have the right of way on top of the gate attendant can't see the cross path of the golf carts and that isn't there responsibility to keep cart traffic moving but to keep cars moving.
Lets see how many angry people get pis*ed off on this comment that think carts have the right of way!

Ok let's talk about the idiots in cars. You know the ones that change lanes in roundabout, stop in roundabouts , exit from the right lane at the 3rd exit of roundabout. Don't stop at 4 way stop signs, but stop when entering roundabout when NO traffic coming in the roundabout. Not using blinker lights. IMO safe to say there enough idiots to go around. This golf cart community safety is shared, gates left open is not in the best interest of this community, especially during snowbird season.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
Why live in a golf cart community if you're going to drive your car everywhere.?
A 'golf cart community'? Are we required to own and drive a golf cart?

We love living in TV and we like driving our car everywhere we need to go. The golf carts do not bother us at all. When we are in our car, we have no fear of being hit by a cart.
Closed Thread

Tags
gate, cart, traffic, left, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.