Today I Realized The Value of Our Gates

Closed Thread
Old 03-27-2017, 06:17 PM

Gate attendants are required to allow the Visitor gate to start back down prior to allowing another vehicle though. Gate attendants do not regularly operate the Resident gate. The resident controls the Resident gate. The gate attendant will typically only operate the Resident gate if traffic is backing up into the roundabouts or intersections. They are not permitted to have traffic back up into those areas. Vehicles have the right-of-way. Even when traffic backs up, it never takes very long for it to clear for carts to cross. Carts should NEVER cross when a gate is up unless they are absolutely positive that it is completely safe to do so. I recently saw a rental cart with teenagers shoot across a busy gate right in front of a vehicle. If the driver hadn’t slammed on the brakes, it could have been a terrible disaster. The gates are there because the Develop is contractually &/or legally required to have them. Most gate attendants are very good. A few are not. If you encounter a problem, call Community Watch to let them know (date, time, gate, etc.). They are there for your safety and to control traffic flow as required. Again … vehicles have the right of way. Be kind. :-)
Old 03-27-2017, 06:21 PM
Default It Doesn't Work That Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorhome View Post
they open gates as soon as someone gets in that line,why don't they stop them, tell them to pull up to gate so they then can see the carts and then open it.at least then carts and vehicles can see each other.
Vehicles have the right of way. Traffic flow from the main roads are priority. If the gate is up, just wait until it closes. It doesn't take very long for traffic to move along.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:23 PM
Default Legally, vehicles DO have the right of way. Not carts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roob1 View Post
No one "has" the right of way until it is given to them.
Legally, vehicles have the right of way. Not carts.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:29 PM
Sage

It depends on the circumstance. You can not make a blanket statement. If carts are at a stop sign at the gates then cars have the right of way. You need to define the context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyhop View Post
Old 03-27-2017, 06:46 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyhop View Post
Actually, Florida Law does not specify rights of way. It only addresses yielding.

Last edited by Rapscallion St Croix; 03-29-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default OhioBuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
In our cart, heading North on BV at Hillsborough Gate. I was the fifth cart in line to cross at the gate. There were about five cars waiting to enter in resident lane. The gate attendant was enjoying an exceedingly long brain fart and left the non-resident gate arm in the up position, it took an excruciatingly long time to get across Hillsborough Trail. In anticipation of a popular retort to these sort of posts, I am not in a hurry. I just prefer to waste time sitting on a bench with a view rather than in a traffic jam wondering when my I will get my turn at avoiding being center punched by a landscaper driving a big diesel truck. Let's summarize. I am not complaining about traffic, I am advocating the continued use of gate arms controlled either electronically or by alert attendants. All-in-all, it was a great drive. Left Walgreens Mulberry Grove and went all the way to lunch at McCallister's Brownwood and back to Springdale. Including the side tracking, we covered 35 miles in the cart.
You know I bet if one car would of stopped & let a couple of carts go thru, I can just about bet you that someone in a car would of started blowing their horn. At 466/Morse road gate one of the gate attendants did it there when I was waiting to cross & someone was nice enough to let me cross the road & someone 3 cars behind them was in a hurry & just laid on the horn & the person that let me cross stuck their arm out the window & gave that person the one finger THANK YOU. I had to laugh & wish I could of hugged this person!
Old 03-28-2017, 10:31 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
You know I bet if one car would of stopped & let a couple of carts go thru, I can just about bet you that someone in a car would of started blowing their horn. At 466/Morse road gate one of the gate attendants did it there when I was waiting to cross & someone was nice enough to let me cross the road & someone 3 cars behind them was in a hurry & just laid on the horn & the person that let me cross stuck their arm out the window & gave that person the one finger THANK YOU. I had to laugh & wish I could of hugged this person!
Well, as you know the horn blower was one of the special ones who's life totally interrupted schedule was delayed by a mere 10 seconds because how dare someone get in their way.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
Wouldn't it have been more enjoyable to drive your car?
Why would you want to drive a car when you can drive your golf cart?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
Well, as you know the horn blower was one of the special ones who's life totally interrupted schedule was delayed by a mere 10 seconds because how dare someone get in their way.
one doesn't have the right to break the law just to get warm fuzzies from the golf cart driver. Just obey the traffic law and one won't get honked at.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by joldnol View Post
one doesn't have the right to break the law just to get warm fuzzies from the golf cart driver. Just obey the traffic law and one won't get honked at.
? Not expecting warm fuzzies from other drivers. I never understood the impatience demonstated by drivers here in the villages. Aren't we retired and in a better position in life for time management of our day.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Listen to Don....Take it easy.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
? Not expecting warm fuzzies from other drivers. I never understood the impatience demonstated by drivers here in the villages. Aren't we retired and in a better position in life for time management of our day.

Successful people live here. Successful people are type A. Patience is not a virtue, it's an impediment.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I recall reading a post by one unhappy resident who complained about the difficulty of driving a cart along Morse just north of 466. He said every day a car will pass within a foot of his cart.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I know we do. I just find it a lot easier to get around in a cart to sight see and find parking. We've saved a ton on gas. I could not imagine how congested the villages would be if you had to drive your car to go play golf, tennis, pickleball, the pool, or do any thing else.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
I know we do. I just find it a lot easier to get around in a cart to sight see and find parking. We've saved a ton on gas. I could not imagine how congested the villages would be if you had to drive your car to go play golf, tennis, pickleball, the pool, or do any thing else.
Very true.

I can't even imagine the automobile congestion, if there wasn't such a great MMP/street option for golf carts.
Closed Thread

Tags
gate, cart, traffic, left, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.