Too many Lights in TV

Closed Thread
Old 09-30-2014, 11:23 PM
Default Too many Lights in TV

Maybe it's because I was born and raised in the country with no neighbors, but I think we have more night lighting here than is necessary. It is hard to see many stars on a clear night. Just how much lighting we have was really driven home to me a couple nights ago, when the power went out here around midnight for 1/2 hour. I went outside into the street. All the street lights, and all other lights, were out for not only my street, but adjoining streets as well, from as best as I could see by looking in between houses. Despite this, I could clearly see all of the street and individual houses, and would have felt comfortable riding a bike with no lights [except for the car factor of course!]. The sky was completely overcast, and power was out, yet my neighborhood was lit that well by excess light given off by nearby, but not visible, homes, streets, and businesses that produced a glow in the sky. The clouds might have actually made my street brighter than it would have been on a clear night, due to the clouds reflecting back light from other areas. Yeah, most folks feel safer with well lit streets and homes, and I can live with that, but I think motion activated lights would help out a great deal on that.

Oh, btw, this is not the start of any ban the lights campaign! Just my thoughts.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:45 AM
Sage

I usually are up in the early morning before the sun comes out and it's dark.

I have had no trouble seeing all the stars. The city where I came from seem to hide all the stars. Maybe with the power outage, the sky was illuminated better, so the stars were more visible. Could it be a lack of pollution in the air? Was it a full moon?

I believe all lamp post are sensored, but not motion senoered, so I guess don't understand your point of view as I find lighted streets to be more safe especially if driving.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 10-01-2014, 04:12 AM
Sage

Yes! Too many eye-pricking bright lamppost lights...why not soft lights?

Last edited by kittygilchrist; 10-02-2014 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

I think it depends on where you live? In my are not all that lite up after I get out of the housing area. I agree some lights can be tone down some, but remember we are getting old and cataract's limit vision or blur vision. IMO makes since to have certain areas lite up?

Where I come from you had limited vision of stars do to the city lights and of course full moon also limits star gazing. I haven't seen total star darkness since I was kid living small town. Even here I think Orlando lights limit star gazing.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:18 AM
nkrifats

After living in country and having no street lighting. I am happy with the lights. Especially when walking at night.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:54 AM

Flagstaff, Arizona, which has an observatory, has a shielded light ordinance. The lights must shine downward only. It lets you see the stars. I wish we had that here.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Can hardly wait for what will come next...........................
Old 10-01-2014, 07:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

This thread is sponsored by The Villages Burglary Association.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

it has taken 77 years for me to come across a too many lights issue!!

Suggests to me it is a page 12 priority (for consideration).
Old 10-01-2014, 07:34 AM

Some posters here may think there are too many lights in TV. I, on the other hand, don't think there is enough lighting on the multi modal paths, especially when driving at night, and especially since there are no high beams on golf cart lights. Does anyone else have the problem of maneuvering the paths when it is pitch black or am I the only one that has trouble seeing at night?
Old 10-01-2014, 07:36 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

I don't think it's an insignificant problem at all, and light pollution has been discussed in the news for many years. When I was a child I was able to look up at the night sky and see an infinite number of stars. Now, light from large cities and communities makes it hard to see as many stars and I think we may have all lost a little sense of our place in the universe because of it.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:41 AM

I don't think there are too many lights -at least in our part of TV. Also agree that the multi-modal paths could use more lighting. May be that's why I saw a car stuck on one of them last week?

Old 10-01-2014, 07:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Chicago converted its street lights to sodium vapor in the mid 70s. They were more energy efficient, but the orange glow created light polution and the sky was a bleached orange. I was disappointed that The Villages had these also, but they had become commonplace everywhere.

Now Chicago is converting the lights to metal-halide which are more energy efficient, longer lasting, just as bright, and without the sky glow. Hopefully, other municipalities will follow.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...ts-orange-glow
Old 10-01-2014, 10:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRX View Post
I don't think it's an insignificant problem at all, and light pollution has been discussed in the news for many years. When I was a child I was able to look up at the night sky and see an infinite number of stars. Now, light from large cities and communities makes it hard to see as many stars and I think we may have all lost a little sense of our place in the universe because of it.
When I was a child I could also see many stars...I could also read the newspaper in a dimly lit area, and could hear the high pitched sound a tv made when operating with the volume turned down. As we age, we have different abilities, and different needs. More light makes it easier to see things as we age.

To address the OPs unstated but infered question, I believe the level of lighting in TV is appropriate for the needs of the population. I'll post my own question...Is it more important to see stars or to provide lighting for security?
Old 10-01-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
This thread is sponsored by The Villages Burglary Association.
I cannot see any reason why a dark street and house would encourage more burglaries than we currently have if each house had motion dedectors that triggered bright lights to go on. The burglar's presence would be much more noticeable than when every house is equally lit with dim lights, as they are now. I do wonder if any studies have been on this. I am open to the results of any such studies.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.