Too many Lights in TV

Closed Thread
Old 10-01-2014, 10:55 AM
Dancing Thyme

My opinion is, there are not enough street lights and what there is definitely is not bright enough. Have you driven at night and tried to see street names on the signs? I've literally had to turn on my brights and practically aim them at the street sign to hopefully be able to read the name. Of course, this is only when I'm in an area that I'm not familiar with, but there are times when its dusk and I'm turning a corner, only to have a cart right there that I didn't see because the street light is half way down the block. This is a senior community with aging eyes, I think the lights should be brighter and better directed. This is not going to change anything, it is what it is and I'm willing to live with it.

Looking at the stars is nice, but not when it comes to what's more important, safety or dreaming... Just MHO.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 10-01-2014, 01:49 PM
Veteran member

I'm an Alaskan who misses the stars and Northern Lights.

However, I realize the safety issues and am glad for the street lights here.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:20 PM
Veteran member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
This thread is sponsored by The Villages Burglary Association.
I can always find a laugh here somewhere.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
My opinion is, there are not enough street lights and what there is definitely is not bright enough. Have you driven at night and tried to see street names on the signs? I've literally had to turn on my brights and practically aim them at the street sign to hopefully be able to read the name. Of course, this is only when I'm in an area that I'm not familiar with, but there are times when its dusk and I'm turning a corner, only to have a cart right there that I didn't see because the street light is half way down the block. This is a senior community with aging eyes, I think the lights should be brighter and better directed. This is not going to change anything, it is what it is and I'm willing to live with it.

Looking at the stars is nice, but not when it comes to what's more important, safety or dreaming... Just MHO.
I agree street signs can be hard to read at night. It would be better to have a mini, lamp post type, light on top of the street signs rather than the super bright street lights down the block. I hate to think of how much energy would be wasted if they added more street lights. Meanwhile, some people do carry flashlights for seeing such things as street signs at night.

I realize that most people here came from cities or towns with street lights, and simply have different expectations than I do. I am not trying to change the current lights. I had often walked home a few blocks from a friend's house to my last home up north in the dark. When there was no moon, I could not even see the road. I centered myself on the road by looking up at the sky, which would be framed by the "100% black" trees on each side of the road! I admit I was just a bit conscious of the downside of encountering an unseen skunk! That's why I preferred having a flashlight if I knew in advance I'd be returning home after dark.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:15 PM
Default Sumter Landing Crossings

Actually there are no walking or crossing lights at Sumter Landing near the Square... e.g... when you walk out of Panera Bread and cross the street
you are on you own... neither you or the driver can see you!!
Old 10-01-2014, 03:19 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybe View Post
I cannot see any reason why a dark street and house would encourage more burglaries than we currently have if each house had motion dedectors that triggered bright lights to go on. The burglar's presence would be much more noticeable than when every house is equally lit with dim lights, as they are now. I do wonder if any studies have been on this. I am open to the results of any such studies.
More lights would probably not reduce the number of daylight burglaries.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-01-2014, 03:26 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhsgypsylady View Post
Some posters here may think there are too many lights in TV. I, on the other hand, don't think there is enough lighting on the multi modal paths, especially when driving at night, and especially since there are no high beams on golf cart lights. Does anyone else have the problem of maneuvering the paths when it is pitch black or am I the only one that has trouble seeing at night?
You are not alone, gypsylady. Driving a cart at night requires a lot of attention. I try to avoid driving my cart at night and when I do I drive well below the 20MPH limit. That may annoy some of the faster, and decidedly wreck-less, dangerous and possibly impaired, drivers.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:51 PM
Veteran member

pbk, Tucson has one too because of Kitt Peak's proximity
Old 10-01-2014, 06:22 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
This thread is sponsored by The Villages Burglary Association.
Funny! I was thinking along those same lines.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:25 PM
Platinum member

Seriously, the original poster is right.
When I can't sleep I'll go into one of our spare
rooms and read or watch t.v.
My neighbor's lamppost light hits that side and blinds
weren't keeping the light out. I put up curtains and
it made the room bearable.

I do miss being able to see the stars and night sky.
Had that in Tampa and I loved sitting on my lanai
and looking at the stars.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:51 PM
Location: Polo Ridge TV via New Hampshire, Isles of Shoals, Maryland and Massachusetts

I'm fine with the streetlights and probably more on the multi-modal paths, but am not a fan of lampost lights that I can't turn off. Yes...I know I can take the bulb out, but it's such a loooong walk out there. :-)
Old 10-01-2014, 07:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Only light pollution I see are those annoying and blinding Halogen 100000 candlesticks lights added to the front of golf carts. Course the owner can see but he blinds on coming traffic. or the jacked up SUVs and trucks halogen lights blinding cars. IMO there should be standard height for all lights and brightness limit. So if you jack your truck up 3 feet you have to lower you lights 3 feet to drive street legal. OK my rant over!

Last edited by Topspinmo; 10-01-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:25 AM
Sage

I think street signs should be staggered. I have seen many instances of where they are at the same height, hiding one's ability to see the side street sign.

Even during the day it is difficult but at night, it is impossible to know what street to turn into, unless one already knows their way.

I was going to put this on the survey, but I couldn't get past the voluminous list of questions.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.