Too Old To Drive

Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2017, 12:57 PM
Sage
Default Too Old To Drive

I know this is a touch subject-but today I observed an older white Nissan, crossing between lanes in 3 roundabouts, when I got along side and saw the driver- it was a man who could barely see over the steering wheel and he had to be at least 90+

This person IMHO is the equivalent of a person who is DUI--but he can be stopped.

He will injure someone real soon.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:07 PM
Post DWO -- driving while old

and with an aging population you will see more of this. This is something that has to be looked into, before a young family gets killed
Old 01-23-2017, 01:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
I know this is a touch subject-but today I observed an older white Nissan, crossing between lanes in 3 roundabouts, when I got along side and saw the driver- it was a man who could barely see over the steering wheel and he had to be at least 90+ This person IMHO is the equivalent of a person who is DUI--but he can be stopped. He will injure someone real soon.
You would be doing everyone a favor - including that driver - by reporting his license plate number to the police.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
I know this is a touch subject-but today I observed an older white Nissan, crossing between lanes in 3 roundabouts, when I got along side and saw the driver- it was a man who could barely see over the steering wheel and he had to be at least 90+

This person IMHO is the equivalent of a person who is DUI--but he can be stopped.

He will injure someone real soon.
Not only the old, I saw the same lane changing by a driver I guessed was in his mid twenties. What you gonna do about him?
Old 01-23-2017, 02:07 PM
Veteran member

AARP is a powerful lobby and squashes any talk of taking a driving test after a certain age. Many have to die before the subject is raised in the FL media and it will still go nowhere.

My dad is 80 and I have noticed his driving abilities are not what they were 20 years ago. But if you ask him, he’ll tell you he’s the best driver this side of the equator.

Cars mean freedom to all of us and the thought on not driving is more than most can handle, including me. At the very least maybe we can get a law requiring an elder driving test after they kill someone. Before everyone starts getting defensive, yes I would also require a road test for a 20 year old found negligent in a vehicular death.

I’m 55 and I would be naïve to think my reflexes are what they were when I was 30.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:17 PM
Veteran member

Annual driver tests for ANYONE 80 or more!
Old 01-23-2017, 02:24 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Not only the old, I saw the same lane changing by a driver I guessed was in his mid twenties. What you gonna do about him?
Yep, you hit the nail on the head.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:44 PM
Sage

The driver in his 20's could be on drugs--or doesn't give a damn or most likely TEXTING
Old 01-23-2017, 03:02 PM
Sage

It always pays to be careful. It is a difficult subject to bring up when someone feels a family member should surrender their license.

I know of two family members who drove when their eyesight left a lot to be desired. They didn't want their freedom taken from them.

Hopefully, some people will come to their senses and realize it's in their best interest before someone gets hurt.

Until then.......... be careful out there!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 01-23-2017, 03:13 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
It always pays to be careful. It is a difficult subject to bring up when someone feels a family member should surrender their license.

I know of two family members who drove when their eyesight left a lot to be desired. They didn't want their freedom taken from them.

Hopefully, some people will come to their senses and realize it's in their best interest before someone gets hurt.

Until then.......... be careful out there!
2BNTV

I had to pull the keys from my Mom when she developed Alzheimer's It is a sad thing but necessary. You hit on the operative word "family" because they need to become involved.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Changing lanes in the traffic circles seems to be a village hobby.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-23-2017, 04:21 PM
Sage

This was definitely lack of control--he wasn't driving , he was aiming
Old 01-23-2017, 04:37 PM

I think that when there is a dangerous situation one should report it no matter the age of the occupant. Having said that; I often hear that the elderly shouldn't drive but then it turns out to be someone younger, lol my age on down. It's good to remember that this is a retirement community with a speed limit of 35 and 15 in the roundabouts for a reason. We often have to contend with people still in the "rat race" visiting and having to adjust to our slower pace. Many people think that their golf cart is safer then it is, and make it go faster then is recommended or legal too. I guess what I'm saying is we all have our short comings and quirks and need to be alert when driving on the road and in parking lots. If it's not some old folk walking behind your car it could be a young kid no matter where you live.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
I think that when there is a dangerous situation one should report it no matter the age of the occupant. Having said that; I often hear that the elderly shouldn't drive but then it turns out to be someone younger, lol my age on down. It's good to remember that this is a retirement community with a speed limit of 35 and 15 in the roundabouts for a reason. We often have to contend with people still in the "rat race" visiting and having to adjust to our slower pace. Many people think that their golf cart is safer then it is, and make it go faster then is recommended or legal too. I guess what I'm saying is we all have our short comings and quirks and need to be alert when driving on the road and in parking lots. If it's not some old folk walking behind your car it could be a young kid no matter where you live.
well said
Old 01-23-2017, 04:51 PM
Sage

I agree that some of our elderly residents shouldn't be driving.
But at least old people aren't likely to be texting while they drive!
Closed Thread

Tags
person, steering, barely, wheel, imho

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.