Too Old To Drive

Closed Thread
Old 01-24-2017, 02:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Not texting, but most are still oblivious to anything going on around them, thinking they are the only one on the road. Everyone 70 and older needs to be re-tested to continue operating any motor vehicle.

And those that fail will just drive their golf carts into oblivion. I know several people who moved here so they can drive golf carts because of losing their licenses due to vision loss. This is an even worse situation IMHO. No testing for carts at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-24-2017, 02:39 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
I am sure you carefully searched the policy position of the AARP on this issue of retesting the elderly or you would not have made such a strong condemnation of the organization. Or maybe you are just presenting alternative facts.

I think the AARP is supportive of research into the issue of how to get older [or any] unqualified driver off the road and is open to finding what methods would accomplish this goal, including extra scrutiny of the older driver. Why do I think this is true? Because I looked it up.

The AARP endorsed a 2010 change in Massachusetts law that permits doctors to anonymously report patients to motor registration for action if the doctor believes the driver should not be licensed anymore.

So now I await your reply showing where the AARP squashes any talk of retesting the elderly driver

There are two states that require a road test for older drivers. If you are interested in reality based facts you can read a detailed study of the success or non-success of that program from the NHTSA from 2013. Spoiler alert, the number of accidents per number of elderly in the population did not change. Pay attention to the analysis on page 99 but a complete reading of the report including its limitations is useful.

Take a look at the photo and tell me what two states have the road test? If the road test removes bad drivers those two states should have significant drops in accident rates after age 75 not seen elsewhere.
I have to confess I am very surprised by the chart you posted. I'm astonished to see the rates continually go down as the group ages.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:50 AM
Sage

in the age of computer games- it would be very easy to have a real world simulator at every DMV location- go in, you sit down , put in your license-and drive-pass no problem, fail take a real test with an examiner
Old 01-25-2017, 09:59 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
in the age of computer games- it would be very easy to have a real world simulator at every DMV location- go in, you sit down , put in your license-and drive-pass no problem, fail take a real test with an examiner
Good idea but a driving simulator does not feel like a real car in any aspect. It is basically a dark booth with the movie screen on three sides of you. The controls aren't like a real car, either.

I did a driving test in one of these recently at the U. of Florida as a paid volunteer that tested the reaction time to seniors drinking alcohol vs non-drinking times.

Don't worry, the grad students helping conduct the grant study drove me to and from Gainesville.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Surely, bad driving is not just advanced age! I would think if you were a bad driver as a young person, you would be a bad or worse driver as you age. I think a great deal depends on your eye sight, general health, also what your reaction time is. There are many contributing factors to bad driving other than actual chronological age.

However, having said all that, if a person of advanced age is smart, really intelligent smart, they will understand that age will change your abilities on the road and will compensate.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-25-2017, 11:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

I am 91 years old and consider myself a safe driver.
I stick to a steady 10-15 mph. and keep in the left hand lane all the time, as the traffic in the other lanes is going far to fast.
I don't give signals these days, because I don't see the junctions, and turnoffs so good any more as my eyesight is not what it was.
I like driving in TV as every one is so friendly, as they always wave, and let me know I am a number one driver, and give me a shouted greeting as they pass.
I expect one day when my reactions are not so good I will have to slow down a bit, but until then, happy motoring folks!
Old 01-25-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two bills View Post
i am 91 years old and consider myself a safe driver.
I stick to a steady 10-15 mph. And keep in the left hand lane all the time, as the traffic in the other lanes is going far to fast.
I don't give signals these days, because i don't see the junctions, and turnoffs so good any more as my eyesight is not what it was.
I like driving in tv as every one is so friendly, as they always wave, and let me know i am a number one driver, and give me a shouted greeting as they pass.
I expect one day when my reactions are not so good i will have to slow down a bit, but until then, happy motoring folks!
wow!!!
Old 01-25-2017, 01:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I stick to a steady 10-15 mph. and keep in the left hand lane all the time, as the traffic in the other lanes is going far to fast.
I don't give signals these days, because I don't see the junctions, and turnoffs so good any more as my eyesight is not what it was.
I like driving in TV as every one is so friendly, as they always wave, and let me know I am a number one driver, and give me a shouted greeting as they pass.
I expect one day when my reactions are not so good I will have to slow down a bit, but until then, happy motoring folks!
Funny!
Old 01-25-2017, 01:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Interesting....

At first I thought this was somewhat offensive, particularly to those nonagenarians that are competent drivers

Then I thought it was quite funny, as intended

Now I'm thinking it's actually very sad, because there is a lot of truth in it.

I'll probably swing to anger if one of them hits me, but remorse if they are the one that ends up dead.

Good post!
Old 01-25-2017, 02:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I am 91 years old and consider myself a safe driver...
Excellent, Two Bills :-)
Old 01-25-2017, 03:02 PM
Platinum member

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -
not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:42 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Old 01-25-2017, 09:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Since more than 90% of the posters here who took this, admittedly unscientific, poll consider themselves 'moderately skilled' or 'highly skilled'...I doubt there will be too many dangerous drivers voluntarily taking themselves out from behind the wheel.

Since driving in TV is a never ending subject-I thought a poll was in order.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -
not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Closed Thread

Tags
person, steering, barely, wheel, imho

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.