Traffic really that bad?

Closed Thread
Old 08-21-2014, 11:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Wink Getting There

Of course there is more traffic. BUT most of us are retired or have jobs that are "Fill Ins" during our retirement. Given I am right. WHY IN HECK ARE WE HURRYING? So if it takes a few extra minutes to get where your going you still get there. Is it that you want to drive directly there and have no one in front or back of you? Then if that is your goal you would be better off in the Mountains of North Carolina or on the roads in Wyoming. You should move from here. I watch the cars speeding to get by me or cutting us off and I think they are just plain stupid. No deep analysis of their personality, etc. THey are just plain stupid and can't wait to get to the cemetery.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:03 PM
Default Traffic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cms36 View Post
A longtime resident has told me he's moving out because the traffic has increased dramatically to the point that he cant stand it. Is it really that bad?
I commuted to Harrisburg,Pa for 35 years and have never seen traffic in TV that even comes close to rush hour in Harrisburg.The folks from the big cities would think that Harrisburg rush hour was a Sunday drive.So I do not consider the traffic in TV to be an issue.A 90 second wait for a green light is not a traffic jam.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Anyone that complains about traffic here, even in the height of the season must want to live out in the middle of the country.

The traffic here is nothing. In the middle of the winter there is more traffic than in the summer, but saying that we have bad traffic is absurd.

I grew up in Boston and had temp jobs as a courier driver in the downtown area. Then I lived in Manila for a year. That is real traffic.

I can't remember ever being behind more than seven or eight cars at a red light down here.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
its not just the traffic, it's everything from shopping, to eating out, to getting in line for a class, and arriving an hour prior just to get a seat at the square.

Its crowded.........gotta love it......suck it up and endure.....
I think that as more an more businesses open up down in Brownwood a lot of that pressure will ease up.

But I think that every where in Florida is like that at the height of the season.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
If you moved here 15-20 years ago (as we did), it sucks now days!! We would NEVER have moved here if we knew then that the greedy developer was going to keep adding and adding.

If it weren't for greed we would still be living in one of the 13 colony's and Spain would possess the rest.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:21 PM
Sage

It depends a lot where you came from, what you're used to. As you can see from posts above, many came from high traffic areas and don't see a problem here. I had a neighbor in SoCal who moved to rural North Carolina and is amazed if he sees a dozen cars all day on his road. I moved here from San Diego partly because my 6 mile commute home from work took 2 hours whether I took the freeway or surface streets. That's traffic. I can't call what is here in the high season traffic. Now, my former neighbor would disagree with me because of his changed perception.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:30 PM

We'll be moving to The Villages full time after the first of next year. We have visited just twice; once in Jaunary during the "heavy" traffic period, and in July when it was noticably lighter. However, I will take The Villages ANYTIME.

Last week, it was necessary for me to drive into mid-town New York City for the first time in a very long time. When I exited the parking garage to come home, it took ONE HOUR and TWENTY MINUTES to go FOUR blocks into the Lincoln Tunnel. Now, THAT is traffic! Villages here we come!
Old 08-21-2014, 12:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
If you moved here 15-20 years ago (as we did), it sucks now days!! We would NEVER have moved here if we knew then that the greedy developer was going to keep adding and adding.
I had a friend who moved here about 15 years ago. He told me how wonderful the place was and that the plans were to eventually have 100,000 residents. How is it that he knew that and you didn't.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:25 PM
Platinum member

I travel the country regularly on business and I can't imagine complaining about traffic in The Villages unless you are comparing it to 20 years ago or very rural America. Even in high season I don't recall sitting through more than one light. And I've never had traffic slow me in the golf cart. Yes you may have to wait in the roundabout but not for long.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Is it really that bad?
Pfft. You're good.

There are certainly more residents here every year, both permanent and seasonal, and traffic has of course increased along with the population. But I've personally never been in what I would even remotely call a traffic jam, with traffic at a standstill. Even during rush hour on 441, it's rare to have to wait through more than one light to turn left, and that's one of the busiest roads around.

Publix and other stores are noticeably more crowded during the winter, which in reality means nothing morethan parking 5-6 spots farther away from the door.

The Wal-Marts are the busiest stores, in my experience, but that's everywhere I've ever lived.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:21 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I believe the OP's intent was to include heavy traffic in the broad sense highways, pathways, stores, restaurants, etc.

I have lived in big cities and both had successfully adapted conditions to keep back ups at a minimum but i do not use such comparisons because such comparisons are just unnecessary distractions.. We are not discussing those cities we are discussing TV and this is where we live and this is what we as a residents should focus on to alleviate any problems.

Here in TV some roads are not conducive to today's traffic. The conservative speed limits create a problem as do people who seemed convinced that driving at 20mph anywhere is righteous. Add to that golf carts that are licensed for the road along with an increasing population both in and surrounding TV and you do have a traffic problem and it is heavily exacerbated . Now plug in all the golf course and construction equipment entering and exiting highways and you have a problem

I agree with the poster who made mention of the thread being hijacked . I am truly puzzled as to why any resident seems obligated and/or protective and continues to defend Villages Lake-Sumter, Inc.?
Old 08-21-2014, 02:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
If you moved here 15-20 years ago (as we did), it sucks now days!! We would NEVER have moved here if we knew then Nthat the greedy developer was going to keep adding and adding.
I agree with the first part of your statement but NOT the second. It has certainly changed over the past 15 years but heavy traffic is in LAX, Dallas, Atlanta, etc., not TV. I have a friend who was one of the first 50 homeowners here. If you had asked her 15 years ago she would have said that you and others moving here made traffic bad. Things are not static or they die. 15 years ago we didn't have Walmart , Tagret, Public and on and on. Growth brings good and bad.

Now for the second point. Why is the developer greedy for wanting to build homes that people want to buy? Is Walmart greedy because they continue to build where people want to shop? Is Publix greedy because they continue to build stores where people want to shop? We all are guilty of finding neighborhoods, restaurants that we love and then become irritated when they get busy. If they were not busy, they would not survive. I think it is greedy for us not to be willing to share our beautiful hometown.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
I agree with the first part of your statement but NOT the second. It has certainly changed over the past 15 years but heavy traffic is in LAX, Dallas, Atlanta, etc., not TV. I have a friend who was one of the first 50 homeowners here. If you had asked her 15 years ago she would have said that you and others moving here made traffic bad. Things are not static or they die. 15 years ago we didn't have Walmart , Tagret, Public and on and on. Growth brings good and bad.

Now for the second point. Why is the developer greedy for wanting to build homes that people want to buy? Is Walmart greedy because they continue to build where people want to shop? Is Publix greedy because they continue to build stores where people want to shop? We all are guilty of finding neighborhoods, restaurants that we love and then become irritated when they get busy. If they were not busy, they would not survive. I think it is greedy for us not to be willing to share our beautiful hometown.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:27 PM

CFrance: I absolutely love AMI and Key West. They would be my 1st and 2nd choice, but I can't afford the property or insurance, and nothing compares to the activities and facilities in TV. It's beautiful, despite no beach.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursebarb1 View Post
CFrance: I absolutely love AMI and Key West. They would be my 1st and 2nd choice, but I can't afford the property or insurance, and nothing compares to the activities and facilities in TV. It's beautiful, despite no beach.
Nursebarb, you are right on! We would love to be in KW, especially now that they've started two pickleball leagues, but prices are WAY too high. TV is the perfect compromise. And it doesn't take half an hour to drive 50 feet!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.