Question for homewatch people

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2013, 07:11 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to tweety6513
Default Question for homewatch people

I know your bonded and insured. If your watching my home(snowbird)and my water pipes break under your watch does your insurance cover that or does mine?? Is that why you carry extra insurance??
Old 09-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Veteran member

While I am not a home watch service I am familiar with many service-type organizations. Normally "bonded" means that you would be covered for a dishonest act by an employee, such as theft of valuables, while checking the house, or coming back afterwards and stealing. Basically, bonded is "insuring" the "honesty" of the employees. "Insured" probably means they are insured against damage done by them or injuries incurred while on your property or carrying out their duties for you, which could also mean during their transportation to or from your house. Make sure they have coverage for both types of coverage (damages and workers compensation type of policies). You might be covered for "excessive" damage because they did not do a checkup during a promised rotation, or worse never checked, and faked reports that they did. Normal damage from breaking pipes, leaking roof, etc, or any other such thing is your responsibility and would be covered under a properly written home owner's policy.
There should be no hesitation by a business to show you a copy of a summary of insurance coverage being claimed to be in effect. Of course that is not 100% reliable in that policies can be terminated or canceled at any time without notice to you unless you are listed as "an additional insured party" or you are issued by the insurer a "notice demand of cancellation or non renewal" Notice demands are a bit extreme for this type of situation and is not usually done.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:50 PM

What would the advantage be of paying a home watch person watching my home verses my neighbor??
Old 09-10-2013, 11:31 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Jim described it pretty well. If the homewatcher makes a mistake or doesn't check as they should, the homewatcher's insurance will cover damages. If the homewatcher has done their job properly, it goes to your insurance.

As to having a neighbor or friend watching your home, the main advantage actually goes to you since you have someone watching your home free or below market. Your insurance doesn't care who watches your home so long as it is checked. The disadvantage is to your neighbor -- if something does go wrong and the insurance company can claim it was due to negligence or mistake of your neighbor, your neighbor will be reimbursing your insurance company and your neighbor's home insurance policy will not cover this.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 09-11-2013, 12:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety6513 View Post
What would the advantage be of paying a home watch person watching my home verses my neighbor??
Your Homewatch person has accountability and responsibility and isn't checking your home "only when they find time". Homewatch checks each and every week and does a full range of weekly checks, makes sure your ceiling fans are running on low, your closet doors are open, there is no mold anywhere, your lawn company is doing their job, and your systems are working, like irrigation. They run the dishwasher, flush toilets, make sure your humidistat is working.

I would feel guilty if I expected a neighbor to do an extensive weekly check of my home. And if there is a problem that gets overlooked, it could be awkward. I think paying a Homewatch person is great protection for an important investment.

Last edited by Barefoot; 09-11-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Some insurance companies are asking that your home watch person be licienced ....as to asking a neighbor to watch my home....I use a person who sends me a monthly report, pictures and calls me or texts me when something needs attention...loving our neighbors, but they are older and I know they would not have caught the thing my home watch person has...it's piece of mind
Old 09-11-2013, 02:36 PM

Thanks to those that answers to my questions. Gives me something to ponder about.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Some insurance companies are asking that your home watch person be licienced ....as to asking a neighbor to watch my home....I use a person who sends me a monthly report, pictures and calls me or texts me when something needs attention...loving our neighbors, but they are older and I know they would not have caught the thing my home watch person has...it's piece of mind
Who may I ask do you use for Home Watch?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.