Help all auto buffs!!!

Closed Thread
Old 11-19-2012, 06:25 PM
Unhappy Help all auto buffs!!!

Today I took my car to Tire Choice at Colony on 466a. Two weeks ago I had an oil change scheduled and ended up with new shock absorbers on the backend and the serpentine belt changed in addition to my oil change. Had no problems with my car up to that day. The charge was $471.83. I noticed over the last few weeks a tiny bit of clear stain on my garage floor upfront so I took it in to see if the oil filter was leaking. To my amazement they told me I had a bad power steering pump of which I have had no symptoms of a problem. When they called they said they already had everything apart and it would, and did cost me $1,245.00 to (that was with a 10% discount) replace it and all the fluids to go back into the new hose and pump. The pump itself cost me $789.00 Does this sound reasonable to you experts out there?? I am scared to go there everytime we take a vehicle there we walk out spending at least $500.00. Help!!!
What do you all think ???? So much for christmas gifts for the kids...
Old 11-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Sage

I don't know about FL law, but the way it works in OH is that shops aren't allowed to begin work on anything without the prior authorization of the vehicle owner, either in writing or verbally.

If the shop is doing the work without your prior approval, I'd think you'd have something of substance to pursue.

Bill
Old 11-19-2012, 07:27 PM
Sage

I agree with Bill. My mechanic always called for approval before he needed to replace something and the bill would be greater than expected.

Going forward, I think I would find a different service shop. It sounds awfully expensive.

BTW - I am not an expert on cars but go to a trusted mechanic in CT.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 11-19-2012, 07:36 PM

Why would they need to take it apart to see a leak? Doesn't sound right to me.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:43 PM
Gold member

I think you were totally scammed. They should not have to take the whole system apart to detect a leak, and they should not have done any dis-assembly without your prior approval. We don't know the make or age of your car, but $789 sounds expensive for a PS pump, and most of these things come off with a few bolts.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:17 PM

It sure sounds like they took advantage of you, $789 for a power steering pump? ridiculous, Power Steering Pump Replacement Cost
Old 11-19-2012, 10:26 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Time for Seniors vs. Crime?

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-19-2012, 10:31 PM
Gold member

WOW remind me to stay out of that place. I agree, call seniors against crime. You got ripped.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
I don't know about FL law, but the way it works in OH is that shops aren't allowed to begin work on anything without the prior authorization of the vehicle owner, either in writing or verbally.

If the shop is doing the work without your prior approval, I'd think you'd have something of substance to pursue.

Bill
Bill is right, its a federal law that no auto repair facility may perform repairs without your approval. As many of us have commented on this very subject, it is a common practice for these places to try and upsell. I've been in the business for 40 years and they do it to me all the time. Just always say no and get a second opinion.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:03 AM
Sage

Did the OP get a written estimate?

If not it's a violation.

Florida Statutes 559.905 - Written motor vehicle repair estimate and disclosure statement required
Florida Statutes > Title XXXIII > Chapter 559 > Part IX > § 559.905. Written motor vehicle repair estimate and disclosure statement required

Current as of: 2011

(1) When any customer requests a motor vehicle repair shop to perform repair work on a motor vehicle, the cost of which repair work will exceed $100 to the customer, the shop shall prepare a written repair estimate, which is a form setting forth the estimated cost of repair work, including diagnostic work, before effecting any diagnostic work or repair. The written repair estimate shall also include the following items:

(a) The name, address, and telephone number of the motor vehicle repair shop.

(b) The name, address, and telephone number of the customer.

(c) The date and time of the written repair estimate.

(d) The year, make, model, odometer reading, and license tag number of the motor vehicle.

(e) The proposed work completion date.

(f) A general description of the customer’s problem or request for repair work or service relating to the motor vehicle.

(g) A statement as to whether the customer is being charged according to a flat rate or an hourly rate, or both.

(h) The estimated cost of repair which shall include any charge for shop supplies or for hazardous or other waste removal and, if a charge is included, the estimate shall include the following statement:

"This charge represents costs and profits to the motor vehicle repair facility for miscellaneous shop supplies or waste disposal."

If a charge is mandated by state or federal law, the estimate shall contain a statement identifying the law and the specific amount charged under the law.

(i) The charge for making a repair price estimate or, if the charge cannot be predetermined, the basis on which the charge will be calculated.

(j) The customer’s intended method of payment.

(k) The name and telephone number of another person who may authorize repair work, if the customer desires to designate such person.

(l) A statement indicating what, if anything, is guaranteed in connection with the repair work and the time and mileage period for which the guarantee is effective.

(m) A statement allowing the customer to indicate whether replaced parts should be saved for inspection or return.

(n) A statement indicating the daily charge for storing the customer’s motor vehicle after the customer has been notified that the repair work has been completed. However, no storage charges shall accrue or be due and payable for a period of 3 working days from the date of such notification.

(2) If the cost of repair work will exceed $100, the shop shall present to the customer a written notice conspicuously disclosing, in a separate, blocked section, only the following statement, in capital letters of at least 12-point type:

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY, CHECK ONE OF THE STATEMENTS BELOW, AND SIGN:

I UNDERSTAND THAT, UNDER STATE LAW, I AM ENTITLED TO A WRITTEN ESTIMATE IF MY FINAL BILL WILL EXCEED $100.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:15 PM
Veteran member

This outfit should be fined to the fullest extent that the law allows!...More importantly, the public should be aware of their tactics. Maybe we should take turns picketing the shop!
Old 11-20-2012, 06:33 PM
Sage

I am sorry and disturbed to hear what happened to you at that shop. We have used them for oil changes, new tires, and various other issues and have never had a problem. Again sorry to hear this.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:20 PM

Went there once, and they tried to sell me a brake fluid change!!!! Did not bite.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:11 PM
Sage

I think there R many sales people & contractors that have in their mind ohhh those village folks are old farts and easy for the taking.

Similar to those that demand money upfront.

There are many (NOT all) unscrupulous people out there.

Don't be a victim, buyer beware.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

These types of shops and the "quickie" lube places all pay their mechanics a commission on parts and services......better known as upselling. It can be a fairly high percent some approaching 40%.

The best guide to services needed for your car is your owners manual. If it is not in there you DO NOT NEED IT!!!!

Before the mechanics even touched that steering flid device they should have called you. They should have explained what the SEE and how much to repair AND offer to show you the leak BEFORE ANY work is performed.

If all happened as described you most definitely have a case. If you have not talked to the store manager yet, he is your next step. If you have then ask to be in touch with the owner. Then the franchise holder next.

I use only the dealer where I buy my cars (I know some have a dislike of dealers for various reasons). After the warranty I swith to an independent mechanic/service location.....NO FRANCHISE MECHANICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btk
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.