Uber in TV

Closed Thread
Old 11-28-2016, 04:42 AM
Veteran member
Default Uber in TV

I've noticed on the Uber app that there are more Uber cars showing in TV. Has anyone actually utilized them? Comment on service?
Old 11-28-2016, 10:58 AM
Default Uber works!

My wife and I travel heavily, both domestically and internationally. We use Uber almost everywhere we go due to the convenience, friendly drivers, much nicer cars, and major discounts compared to traditional cabs. No cash is required after the ride, no tipping, and all drivers get reviewed by their riders which is easily seen online. This is a real displacement technology and we are surprised it is not used a lot in The Villages. It is also a great opportunity for folks here that need some part-time work.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

When you saved a few dollars, transported yourself in a uninspected and questionably insured ride and then this driver goes back to their full time job and you weakened the full time professionally insured, inspected, maintained, clean, slightly more expensive taxi and you call them for a ride and they don't answer either don't feel angry with them you did it by saving a few bucks. It doesn't happen with one fare but over time it is rough to keep a good taxi business rolling. It's is really great to not tip a driver...if you live on Mars. They are not driving people around as a hobby they are feeding their families. They reality for the Uber driver occurs when repairs and maintenance start to occur. If it works for you then I think it's great.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:26 AM

Uber drivers expect cash tips. Uber drivers rate passengers just like passengers rate the driver. No tips and your rating goes down over time so that you might be hard pressed to get an Uber driver to pick you up. Uber makes $$ on your ride while your driver--as Nucky said--barely breaks even after upkeep costs are included.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:26 AM

If these so called "full time professionally insured, inspected, maintained, clean, Slightly More Expensive taxis existed in most places there wouldn't be an Uber.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:56 PM

With all respect, the Uber model obviously works, and is the wave of the future. Most Uber drivers are part-time, augmenting their other income, and it must work for them since it is voluntary and there is no shortage of drivers in urban areas. Most critics have probably never tried it.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred R View Post
If these so called "full time professionally insured, inspected, maintained, clean, Slightly More Expensive taxis existed in most places there wouldn't be an Uber.
With 120,000 people when The Villages is really rocking why are there no Uber or Lyft drivers available most of the time? Maybe there is a reason I have not considered.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:26 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Like many things its good when it all works well but when he doesn't

One of my main interest would involve insurance requirements and responsibility to see that insurance is maintained. Also along these lines does the passenger's insurance become primary

Another is the vetting of Uber drivers and inspection of their equipment

a third would be the relationship between Uber and the Uber driver as to their contractual agreements
Old 12-01-2016, 07:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I believe Uber provides the insurance when the driver has passengers. I do not know the details of the coverage.

I have used Uber a couple of times (not here) and the experience was good. The pickup was within a few minutes and the conversation with the driver was very interesting - mostly about their Uber experience so far. Both had been driving for Uber for less than a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Like many things its good when it all works well but when he doesn't

One of my main interest would involve insurance requirements and responsibility to see that insurance is maintained. Also along these lines does the passenger's insurance become primary

Another is the vetting of Uber drivers and inspection of their equipment

a third would be the relationship between Uber and the Uber driver as to their contractual agreements
Old 12-05-2016, 07:59 AM

I have used Uber numerous times outside of TV. Their service has been exceptional (and I always tip). I make a point of asking how long they have been with Uber and how they like it. Many have driven for two years or more and all have been very satisfied. Proof of insurance, background check and car inspection are required before you can drive for Uber. The only complaints i have heard come from Taxi drivers.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:53 PM

So who is a good company here in the Villages if you need a ride? How much notice or planning does it take to get a ride?
Old 01-10-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N44125 View Post
I've noticed on the Uber app that there are more Uber cars showing in TV. Has anyone actually utilized them? Comment on service?
I used Uber 2 days ago here in The Villages!
So glad Uber is here!
I went from Buttonwood to SpanishSprings, $21.00, not cheap.
The same $21 I had paid in taxi a few months back.
Paul, my driver, was pleasant, punctual and informative.
He said as of January 8, the day I used Uber, there were 7 Uber drivers in TheVillages. I told him Uber needed to advertise more he agreed.
My Uber driver, Paul, is a Villager himself, doing it for the social aspect, gets him outta the house. ( and surely the extra income can not hurt )
I think that as more Uber drivers become available here, the prices, I hope, will go down. But I still love Uber, fast, friendly, convenient.
I have used it in Miami and Atlanta and now in TheVillages!!!!
Old 01-10-2017, 05:37 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,084 Times in 367 Posts

And I wonder about the professionally inspected and insured taxi's in this area. Who controls that?
Old 01-10-2017, 07:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

No inspections in Florida for personal cars, so no idea about 'professional or corporate' cars, and I have never seen an inspection station. I did see somewhere the requirements for an Uber driver, as I recall (and I may be wrong), a newer vehicle (less then 5 years old?), 4 doors, clean driving record, etc. My insurance policy specific limits coverage IF the vehicle is being used for business purposes.
As for tips, I was under the impression that these were INCLUDED in the fee, so there was no cash involved at all.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
No inspections in Florida for personal cars, so no idea about 'professional or corporate' cars, and I have never seen an inspection station. I did see somewhere the requirements for an Uber driver, as I recall (and I may be wrong), a newer vehicle (less then 5 years old?), 4 doors, clean driving record, etc. My insurance policy specific limits coverage IF the vehicle is being used for business purposes.
As for tips, I was under the impression that these were INCLUDED in the fee, so there was no cash involved at all.
It was no cash needed, but recently tip is no longer included. Used them this weekend in Chicago. Saved $65 each way to and from airport, compared to taxi, and shuttle service. Fares change, depending on time of day. If you add app to your phone you can check cost at different times of the day. We saved $30 by leaving 1 hour later on trip to the city. All drivers were friendly and good drivers. Clean cars ( 2 Cadillacs and a highlander) It only takes one complaint and uber is on it. Felt much safer than the last taxi ride in Chicago.
You can go online to uber to see how drivers are paid and how it works.

Tags
uber, utilized, comment, showing, service

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.