Uber in TV

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2017, 08:24 PM

Hey all. Tips were never really included in Uber. They had a class-action lawsuit Uber Settlement Could Provide More Clarity About Tipping Drivers - ABC News

I also never tipped as I thought it was included but i was wrong. It was a game changer for me as the reason I used Uber was because I thought tip (and everything else) was included.

I looked a couple days ago and an Uber trip for the bottom of TV to the top is over 32$ and TV taxi is 24$... both do not include a tip. You can download the Uber app and check prices without buying anything.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chipster View Post
My wife and I travel heavily, both domestically and internationally. We use Uber almost everywhere we go due to the convenience, friendly drivers, much nicer cars, and major discounts compared to traditional cabs. No cash is required after the ride, no tipping, and all drivers get reviewed by their riders which is easily seen online. This is a real displacement technology and we are surprised it is not used a lot in The Villages. It is also a great opportunity for folks here that need some part-time work.

You are absolutely INCORRECT regarding tipping for Uber drivers. Just because Uber advertises that it is "cashless" does not mean you shouldn't tip!! There are many articles on the internet that list not tipping something that passengers do to Uber drivers that is not appreciated by the drivers. Rating 4 stars for a good ride is another.

Do you also realize that the rating system is a 2 way street? I personally know several Uber drivers and many of them will not pick up riders with lower ratings, and they also give riders a low rating for not tipping.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,237 Posts

Thank you for correcting me on the tips, I have not used uber yet, so I will check them out before first use.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:53 AM
Sage

Uber provides the insurance when you have a customer in your car. I have used them a couple of times (not here). Good experience and relatively new, clean cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
No inspections in Florida for personal cars, so no idea about 'professional or corporate' cars, and I have never seen an inspection station. I did see somewhere the requirements for an Uber driver, as I recall (and I may be wrong), a newer vehicle (less then 5 years old?), 4 doors, clean driving record, etc. My insurance policy specific limits coverage IF the vehicle is being used for business purposes.
As for tips, I was under the impression that these were INCLUDED in the fee, so there was no cash involved at all.

Last edited by biker1; 01-11-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y5clm View Post
So who is a good company here in the Villages if you need a ride? How much notice or planning does it take to get a ride?
I use The Villages Transportation taxi. I have called short notice and pre arranged. Always a delight!!
Old 01-11-2017, 11:45 AM
Exclamation

A bit nervous to try now that I have seen a arrest for a DUI on a driver working for Uber in TV!!
Old 01-11-2017, 06:35 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegreat View Post
A bit nervous to try now that I have seen a arrest for a DUI on a driver working for Uber in TV!!
No, the drunk said he worked for Uber. He doesn't pass the requirements to drive for Uber so I find that highly doubtful. In addition to the requirement that the driver have a clean driving record, pass a background check they must also have a valid drivers license, not a permit like this guy claimed he had.

Uber Driver Requirements • I Drive With Uber
Old 01-11-2017, 07:02 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegreat View Post
I think the person claimed he was driving for Uber but that was not substantiated in article I read.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:49 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
With 120,000 people when The Villages is really rocking why are there no Uber or Lyft drivers available most of the time? Maybe there is a reason I have not considered.
You must have a smart phone to use Uber...

We, hubby and I still have the old school flip phones. Same fed gov plan that we started in 1998 $9.95 per phone Sprint. how could we give that up.

Maybe that could be a reason....older people, such as myself still use the phone to talk to people.....we don't text....
Old 01-11-2017, 07:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
You must have a smart phone to use Uber...

We, hubby and I still have the old school flip phones. Same fed gov plan that we started in 1998 $9.95 per phone Sprint. how could we give that up.

Maybe that could be a reason....older people, such as myself still use the phone to talk to people.....we don't text....
True you do need a smart phone. If your phone dies I have couple really old flip phones the kids play with.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:55 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
True you do need a smart phone. If your phone dies I have couple really old flip phones the kids play with.
the stores still sell flip phones and they are not cheap....not as much as a smart but in the $100's at the sprint store...
Old 01-12-2017, 07:42 PM
Veteran member

I just looked at the Uber app....it's currently (7:30 pm) showing 6 Uber vehicles in use in TV between 466 & 466A.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:20 PM

With all due respect, I have read all of these posts and I have the following comment based upon many, many UBER rides in the U.S. and abroad: I estimate that the majority of posters here have never had an UBER ride. Try it once, and then report back.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:25 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts
Default Uber ride

Quote:
With all due respect, I have read all of these posts and I have the following comment based upon many, many UBER rides in the U.S. and abroad: I estimate that the majority of posters here have never had an UBER ride. Try it once, and then report back.
You got me---never had an Uber ride. As a matter of fact, Uber wasn't even in business the last time I rode in a taxi. My son lives in an Illinois city about the size of TV and surrounding area and he uses Uber all the time. He thinks they are the best thing since sliced bread.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:12 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Uber is awesome, I would never take a cab again
Closed Thread

Tags
uber, utilized, comment, showing, service

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.