stucco finish

Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Default stucco finish

I am new to the Villages and recently found cracks in the stucco exterior. With all the rain the other day, we found some wet spots on the garage wall and floor. The house is still covered by warranty and I have contacted the warranty office, but has this been a chronic problem here in the past and if so what re-course is available to residents?

I've read recently that stucco should not be extended to grade level unless certain precautions are met since stucco can "wick" water through the foundation to the interior.

thanks,

rob
Old 04-01-2011, 12:50 PM

Since we're thinking of getting a stucco designer home I'm curious to hear about this myself...is there are problem as described??

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsherry View Post
I am new to the Villages and recently found cracks in the stucco exterior. With all the rain the other day, we found some wet spots on the garage wall and floor. The house is still covered by warranty and I have contacted the warranty office, but has this been a chronic problem here in the past and if so what re-course is available to residents?

I've read recently that stucco should not be extended to grade level unless certain precautions are met since stucco can "wick" water through the foundation to the interior.

thanks,

rob
Old 04-01-2011, 04:02 PM

We have stucco too and found that the water leaks were coming from the windows not being sealed correctly. We were told by Home Warranty that you had to seal all the cracks in the stucco with caulking and then paint over it. But that still did not resolve the leaks onto our carpeting. Finally figured out that the corners of the window frames were not sealed properly and since that has happened....no leaks
Old 04-02-2011, 06:03 AM
Sage

Based on my experience in several developments in the Naples area, I would consider finding a painter, or paint dealer that used the "elastomeric" paint system. When applied according to their specs (a factory rep will go to your home and verify conditions), they guarantee finish and waterproof for 15 years.

Last edited by mulligan; 04-02-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMLRHT1 View Post
We have stucco too and found that the water leaks were coming from the windows not being sealed correctly. We were told by Home Warranty that you had to seal all the cracks in the stucco with caulking and then paint over it. But that still did not resolve the leaks onto our carpeting. Finally figured out that the corners of the window frames were not sealed properly and since that has happened....no leaks
Did you have to do the work or was it done by the builder? Sounds like this should have been a warranty problem.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.