Unknown car parking in my driveway.without permission. What would you do?

Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
Also, I have to ask, could it have the potential of being a big deal if it turned out that is was not a neighbor using the driveway, but rather occupancy for some other potentially undesirable purpose. And would it still be a no big deal if the vehicle was there without permission and the oil leaked from the vehicle staining my driveway? I don’t know if it would have been, but it could have. Remember, I did not have the benefit of your experience or the experience of many others here on TOTV when I was notified of the presence of the auto, and I saw the problem through a different prism as a new resident who wasn’t quite sure how to react and simply sought advise!
Hi Skyguy,
I too am sorry to read about that traumatic event.

I also did not know about either the unique TV custom of driveway-sharing and foraging through other people's trash (I forget the two terms that were used for people who do this).

Both customs struck me on first blush as asking for trouble.

It burglar types knew that neighbors in TV don't report suspicious cars in neighbors driveways, that would seem to make burglary easier to pull off. Likewise when neighbors don't think twice about seeing strangers driving through neighborhoods loading their vehicles with other people's stuff.

As I said, that was my first reaction. I temper it with the knowledge that crime in TV is low. Still, leading not into temptation feels more comfortable to me.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Hi Skyguy,
I too am sorry to read about that traumatic event.

I also did not know about either the unique TV custom of driveway-sharing and foraging through other people's trash (I forget the two terms that were used for people who do this).

Both customs struck me on first blush as asking for trouble.

It burglar types knew that neighbors in TV don't report suspicious cars in neighbors driveways, that would seem to make burglary easier to pull off. Likewise when neighbors don't think twice about seeing strangers driving through neighborhoods loading their vehicles with other people's stuff.

As I said, that was my first reaction. I temper it with the knowledge that crime in TV is low. Still, leading not into temptation feels more comfortable to me.
I do not think you can broad brush TV and say everyone parks in their neighbors driveway. Assuming it is a custom is assuming too much.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
I don't know about TV, but I think I've heard of foraging being referred to "Dumpster Diving" elsewhere! Believe it or not, my father actually got into that in addition of going around gathering discarded deposit bottles just for something to do and relieve the boredom that came with his retirement. You wouldn't believe what he came home with during the time he was doing it. i.e. brand new articles of clothing, shoes or sneakers (that we suspected were put in the dumpsters of retail stores by employees that could then after hours retrieve/steal them) to probably the most surprising thing of all... XXX Rated Mags.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 04-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I do not think you can broad brush TV and say everyone parks in their neighbors driveway. Assuming it is a custom is assuming too much.
Couldn't you also say that 'assuming custom means everone' is also a bit too much?
Old 04-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Hi Bogey,
You are right. I meant a localized custom in the sense of it being done with some regularity here, yet being quite uncommon elsewhere. Specifically, I was responding to the statement, "For TV, parking in driveways is a neighborly thing to do. Have never seen anything like it anywhere else in the world, but it is our own special little bubble."

I didn't mean to imply that everyone in TV does it. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Sorry, Sky, didn't mean your original post, just some of the comments. I do believe you were right in asking -- you had no clue how common it is here, especially in CYVs and PVs. As I said, anywhere but TV, it's a big deal and I can certainly understand the concern when away from your home and getting such news. Here, it is a matter of asking neighbors whose car it is. If I couldn't get that answered after asking at 3 houses, I'd be on the phone to the police in a heartbeat.

Also, I can't imagine someone using their neighbor's driveway knowing they had an oil leak. I do know of one instant where oil did leak on the driveway and the neighbor paid to have it cleaned up. (FYI -- Simple way to clean it is pour a can of regular Coke on it, let it sit for an hour and then scrub. Also, if the leak has only been there a short time, kitty litter will absorb it.)

TV has a mindset like no other I've seen anywhere in this wonderful world. People share so much -- a dinner party is usually hosted at one home but is nearly always potluck; weekly games are rotated from house to house; parking in a neighbor's driveway seems to be a neighborly thing to do. Heck, I'm still getting used to some of the ways of life here.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Sorry, Sky, didn't mean your original post, just some of the comments. I do believe you were right in asking -- you had no clue how common it is here, especially in CYVs and PVs. As I said, anywhere but TV, it's a big deal and I can certainly understand the concern when away from your home and getting such news. Here, it is a matter of asking neighbors whose car it is. If I couldn't get that answered after asking at 3 houses, I'd be on the phone to the police in a heartbeat.

Also, I can't imagine someone using their neighbor's driveway knowing they had an oil leak. I do know of one instant where oil did leak on the driveway and the neighbor paid to have it cleaned up. (FYI -- Simple way to clean it is pour a can of regular Coke on it, let it sit for an hour and then scrub. Also, if the leak has only been there a short time, kitty litter will absorb it.)

TV has a mindset like no other I've seen anywhere in this wonderful world. People share so much -- a dinner party is usually hosted at one home but is nearly always potluck; weekly games are rotated from house to house; parking in a neighbor's driveway seems to be a neighborly thing to do. Heck, I'm still getting used to some of the ways of life here.
Thanks Dee! I appreciate your response. Now I know why your my favorite Village's L..., L..., aah, you know what I mean!

BTW, thanks for the Coke tip!
The Villages Florida
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.