USPS is not accomplishing their job in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 06-18-2016, 10:58 AM
Default USPS is not accomplishing their job in The Villages

I returned yesterday from a two weeks vacation, I entered a HOLD MAIL with a return date of yesterday. While I was away I sent three USPS Priority Mail boxes to my villages address for delivery yesterday. Sounds simple, but that's where it gets stinky. I spent hours yesterday on the phone trying to fiind out why my mail box center was not opened at 10:30 yesterday so that I could receive my time sensitive parcels. Many phone calls, no luck finding out anything from USPS. Most of the operators or agents were foreign speaking so I had a very hard time making out the excuses or replies. I was given a Case Number, which is absolutely nothing and today still nothing, and the mail center was not open at 10:30 yet this morning.
Have I missed something, has the USPS given up the responsibility of seeing that mail is delivered? Apparently, and the contract operators are elusive or not fulfilling their job requirements. I am reminded of the snow, rain, nor ..... comment from years ago, but apparently has been outdated as well.

In summary, and based on my experience new villagers should be advised, up front, not to expect the USPS to be responsive ti delivering mail and replying to inquiries. I doubt the Villages Management cares two hoots, sad sad era we find ourselves in.

Maybe the USPS Priority parcels, which I urgently needed yesterday, and paid accordingly will arrive eventually, just perhaps. Then I'll start the quagmire of attempting to get my postage refunded, for non-delivery. Followed up by going to the UPS Store in Piedmont to RENT a box so I can have reliable delivery.

Anyone else ever experienced a similar problem?
Old 06-18-2016, 10:58 AM

UPS in title should read USPS>>>>>
Old 06-18-2016, 11:19 AM

Yes, My dad sent a 2 day package to my daughter for Christmas. She received it in February. This was two years ago. If you want something to arrive on time, use Fed Ex or UPS. Those are not guaranteed either but I find their tracking website better. The weather can delay their deliveries, too.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

I would have gone to the PO in Lady Lake and talked to the Post Master. Real people real results.
village management had nothing to do with the postal service.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Roberts View Post
I returned yesterday from a two weeks vacation, I entered a HOLD MAIL with a return date of yesterday. While I was away I sent three USPS Priority Mail boxes to my villages address for delivery yesterday. Sounds simple, but that's where it gets stinky. I spent hours yesterday on the phone trying to fiind out why my mail box center was not opened at 10:30 yesterday so that I could receive my time sensitive parcels. Many phone calls, no luck finding out anything from USPS. Most of the operators or agents were foreign speaking so I had a very hard time making out the excuses or replies. I was given a Case Number, which is absolutely nothing and today still nothing, and the mail center was not open at 10:30 yet this morning.
Have I missed something, has the USPS given up the responsibility of seeing that mail is delivered? Apparently, and the contract operators are elusive or not fulfilling their job requirements. I am reminded of the snow, rain, nor ..... comment from years ago, but apparently has been outdated as well.

In summary, and based on my experience new villagers should be advised, up front, not to expect the USPS to be responsive ti delivering mail and replying to inquiries. I doubt the Villages Management cares two hoots, sad sad era we find ourselves in.

Maybe the USPS Priority parcels, which I urgently needed yesterday, and paid accordingly will arrive eventually, just perhaps. Then I'll start the quagmire of attempting to get my postage refunded, for non-delivery. Followed up by going to the UPS Store in Piedmont to RENT a box so I can have reliable delivery.

Anyone else ever experienced a similar problem?
Fix the title. And , Why the ad hominem attack on The Villages Management?
Old 06-18-2016, 11:42 AM
Sage

Villages management has nothing to do with USPS. The post office is in Lady Lake.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 06-18-2016, 12:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

OP, sorry you had a bad experience with the mail (USPS) in general after 3 years we have observed maybe a 1 day delay in getting packages and mail. I believe this due o the mail first going to Lady Lake and being sorted for the specific villages. Also for packages that must remain cold, or do not fit in the secondary mail boxes, the mail person deliver these to the house.

However, I do agree with above to use UPS or FEDEX if delivery time is a concern.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Actually many UPS package are off loaded to USPS for final delivery. We get UPS packages at our neighborhood postal station often.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:47 PM
Sage

Almost all my packages from Amazon start out with UPS and get shifted to USPS. Don't know why but it is what it is
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 06-18-2016, 01:35 PM

I recently had to retrieve an oversize package from the personnel at my USPS mail box station. I didn't know how to contact them so I went to the Lady Lake post office and asked. I was informed that the personnel are at the mail box sites from 11 to 1 and to go to the back door and knock during that time. I did that and retrieved the package without any problems. The personnel at the mail box station were very helpful and pleasant. There are two doors on the stations. One is a maintenance room and the other is to the sorting room. There weren't any signs so if you knock on one and don't get a response, try the other. Hope this helps and good luck getting your package.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:40 PM

I can imagine your frustration yesterday and sympathize. I hope everything works out ok for you.
That said, we have learned a few things over the years that may be helpful for you. When we are ready to leave, we stop to see our local mail delivery clerk in person, fill out the yellow card and leave it in our mailbox. To do that, you need to know approximately when they hit your mail station, and it may take a couple trips to connect. Communication via USPS.com is unreliable - do it in person. Be patient.
We always stop delivery the business day before we leave (so we can check to be sure it has really happened) and restart it the business day before we actually return. That way, the accumulated mail is ready and waiting for us. If there is a delay, they have a day to work it out before we know about it. That seldom fails.
I don't know why USPS can't operate efficiently, but they don't. There are, of course, unexpected mechanical and weather delays, but who knows what else affects the fragile system they have in place. This is not to say that the contracted delivery people are to blame. Ours seem to do a good job and, in our experience, are the only reliable link in the USPS system.
I hope by now that your packages have been delivered and all is well.
Old 06-18-2016, 02:01 PM
Gold member

In almost 10 years here I never had a problem with the Poat Office. I
Old 06-18-2016, 02:25 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I'd say the biggest problem is you were at your mail box too early. As was said, the contractors are usually at the mail stations after 11:00, sometimes much later than that. Before then, they are at the Lady Lake Post Office sorting their mail, loading their cars, etc.

I've found that if I can't be there when they are that a note left at the door or dropped in the "wrong delivery" slot frequently takes care of the problem. They've even called me at my request.

Do remember these people are subcontractors, rarely make even minimum wage and work hard to do the best they can for us. Please treat them with kindness and respect. Most of them deserve at least that. (BTW, I've found that a tip when they go out of their way works wonders for asking for special favors.)

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-18-2016, 02:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I'd say the biggest problem is you were at your mail box too early. As was said, the contractors are usually at the mail stations after 11:00, sometimes much later than that. Before then, they are at the Lady Lake Post Office sorting their mail, loading their cars, etc.

I've found that if I can't be there when they are that a note left at the door or dropped in the "wrong delivery" slot frequently takes care of the problem. They've even called me at my request.

Good advice and I've done the same thing with great results.

It's simple enough to know if anyone is there, just look through your mailbox and look to see if the lights are on or even speak through your box and say 'hello.'

On second thought, I suppose some boxes are too high/low for this to be easy to do, but I'm fortunate that mine is about head height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Do remember these people are subcontractors, rarely make even minimum wage and work hard to do the best they can for us. Please treat them with kindness and respect. Most of them deserve at least that. (BTW, I've found that a tip when they go out of their way works wonders for asking for special favors.)
Exactly.

Ours went above and beyond during an issue along the lines of the OP's and that was before the X-Mas card with Ben Franklin in it.

A bargain at 10 times the amount.
Old 06-18-2016, 03:11 PM
Location: Rockville, MD and Sawgrass Villas, Village of St. James

We always fill out the yellow card and talk with our mail contractor before going away. So far we have had no problems. The carrier will deliver packages that don't fit in the box. Mail service here is far superior to what we had in Maryland (DC area).
Closed Thread

Tags
mail, yesterday, usps, villages, center

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.