Ventured outside the bubble

Closed Thread
Old 07-24-2016, 06:18 AM
Default Ventured outside the bubble

Thanks to a recommendation on this forum we took a day trip to Deland to visit the Stetson mansion. It was a beautiful drive down 42 with very little traffic. Missed my turn on 42 so we got to see a little of "old Florida" getting back on track. The Stetson mansion was absolutely worth the trip. It is a beautiful 1886 home brought back to life after years of neglect. The owners live in the home and you can touch anything and actually sit in the chairs. Deland has a nice downtown area with lots of restaurants and antique shops. Highly recommended day trip.

Next trip Mt. Dora or Winter Park?

Steve
Old 07-24-2016, 06:46 AM
Veteran member

Mt Dora for sure! Florida has some excellent state parks...we got the senior package..well worth the $$
Old 07-24-2016, 07:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I look at the villages transportation website for day trip ideas then go in our own car.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I love winter park
Old 07-24-2016, 10:38 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
I look at the villages transportation website for day trip ideas then go in our own car.
I do too......they do all the discovering and give us great ideas....
Old 07-24-2016, 10:46 AM
Eternal Member

The Stetson Mansion is a must see at Christmas. It is so beautiful !!
Old 07-24-2016, 10:54 AM
Platinum member

You should see the Stetson mansion when it's all decked out for Christmas. One of the owners starts in late October with the decorations, which easily takes him six weeks. This owner usually gives tours once or twice a week, and he shares many personal anecdotes to indivualize his tour. Unfortunately, if there's a schedule for the owner-given tours, I don't think it's published. It's hit or miss. Now that's not to say that their regular guided tours are less interesting. We also had lunch at the Brickhouse Pub in Deland, and it was a really great lunch with several micro-brews on tap to add to the meal. If you go to Winter Park, be sure to take the sightseeing cruise on the three lakes. It's a nice after lunch experience.

Last edited by REDCART; 07-24-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:24 AM

Add Winter Garden to your list.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:12 AM

I haven't been but I have heard that Micanopy is a nice little town to visit.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:10 AM

Micanopy is a really nice LITTLE town north of Ocala. Either take I-75 north and get off at exit 374, or take 441 north all the way thru Ocala on the way to Gainsville. And as long as you are almost in Gainsville, you might stop at the Devil's Millhopper Geological State Park. It is a very large sinkhole with stairs leading to the bottom. It is on the north side of Gainsville, near NW 53rd Ave and NW 43rd Street.

Another interesting place to go "off the campus bubble" is the Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park, especially in the colder winter time where you can easily view manatees. It is west of The Villages near the gulf. Essentially, you take route 44 and head west until your tires get wet. And as long as you are on that side of the state, try visiting the town of Crystal River. It is right on the Crystal River bay and has some GREAT restaurants and really nice views of the water.

All of these are about an hour drive away.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRE1 View Post
...Another interesting place to go "off the campus bubble" is the Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park, especially in the colder winter time where you can easily view manatees. It is west of The Villages near the gulf. Essentially, you take route 44 and head west until your tires get wet. And as long as you are on that side of the state, try visiting the town of Crystal River. It is right on the Crystal River bay and has some GREAT restaurants and really nice views of the water.

All of these are about an hour drive away.
We went yesterday to Homosassa Springs State Park, it's only about 40 miles. We first went to Riverside Crab House because I wanted to see Monkey Island. There is suppose to be 5 monkeys living on the island, but we only saw two, there a webcam which I'll post a link below. The Riverside Crab House we didn't try the crabs because my wife is from Maryland and is very particular about how they are prepared, they must use Old Bay or forget it. We both had a shrimp basket, can't say too much about the food. The shrimp were fine, the corn on the cob was not hot and a little mushy and the cole slaw was alright.

We also walked through Crystal River Mall, I remember when that place opened in 1989 and they had a Pennys, Sears, Belks and K-Mart. The K-Mart is the only one left, the whole mall should be shut down. Looking at K-Mart prices, I can see why they doing so bad, everything was much higher than Walmart.

We went to the State Park and did the River Boat Cruise, it's an interesting 20 minute ride. However, yesterday was so hot and the boat has no roof, that by the time we finished we skipped the trail walk and the underwater observatory. What was amazing was it was free.

My parents had retired in 1983 to a 55+ community called Timber Pines in Spring Hill. I had been all over that area in the 80's but had not been back until yesterday. Everything was so unrecognizable. Crystal River and Homosassa Springs has grown but they are still sort of sleepy little fishing towns with just more cars. Go 20 miles south and Spring Hill is really congested, I would not want to be there in high season.

Waterfront seafood dining, Riverside Crab House - Homosassa FL

Monkey Island Webcam

Florida State Homosassa Springs

The Villages Florida
Old 07-27-2016, 04:23 PM
Default Winter park today

Just got back from Winter Park an hour ago. Seafood lunch at Mitchell's Fish Market. Split a roasted oyster appetizer, Gulf Snapper for her, Rainbow Trout for me, split a "Sharkfin Pie" dessert. Best seafood we've had in Central Florida. Then several hours in the Morse Museum of American Art which advertises the most comprehensive collection of works by Louis Tiffany. Includes glasswork, windows, paintings, silver, jewelry and a complete alter originally built for the Columbian Exposition at the Chicago World's Fair. Beautiful works in a lovely building on picturesque Park Ave. Great day - go - you'll enjoy it.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
I love winter park
For something a little different, park on one end or the other of SunRail and take the train to Winter Park.

A short little train ride, walking around shopping, an afternoon lunch at Winter Park, followed by a short train back to your car...makes for a very nice day.

Just make sure you study the SunRail schedule closely, so that there are no surprises.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvaughn View Post

Next trip Mt. Dora or Winter Park?

Steve
THINGS TO DO AND SEE IN WINTER PARK

Winter Park Scenic Boat Tours -
Scenic Boat Tour | Winter Park Florida | Boat Ride | Chain of Lakes
Boats leave the dock on the hour, they do not take prior reservations, but go early and pay for the time you wish to take the tour- no credit cards - cash or check - $14.00 per person for adults - 312 E. Morse Blvd. go down to the very end of the street, (This will look like a parking area for the condos, but park your car and continue to walk to the end of the street and down the stone stairway to the lake.)
Scenic Boat Tour | Winter Park Florida | Boat Ride | Chain of Lakes

Morse museum - Tiffany Glass collection - seniors $5.00 - view their video first
Louis Comfort Tiffany, the Morse Museum, Orlando, Florida

Rollins College Fine Arts Museum - Free
Cornell Fine Arts Museum | Rollins College | Winter Park, FL
also visit the chapel on the campus

Winter Park Sculpture Gardens - a short drive south from Winter Park
(on the boat tour, you can view the sculptures in the back gardens)
The Albin Polasek Museum & Sculpture Gardens

Cultural Map of Winter Park
https://cityofwinterpark.org/docs/re...ltural-map.pdf
(main shops are on E. and W. Park Ave.)

Our favorite eatery is Al Bacio
The restaurant that we like is near #3 on the map - 505 N. Park Ave.
http://albacio-florida.com/
It looks like just a sweet shop bakery with all the display cases, but they serve up great gourmet meals and fancy burgers with sweet potato fries.
You can view the menu online.
http://www.youblisher.com/p/1236968-AlbacioMenu2015/
use the arrows at the bottom to flip through the menu

to view the old & new homes on Lake Maitland, take Park Ave. east to the end and meander up and down the dead end roads around the lake.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore2 View Post
For something a little different, park on one end or the other of SunRail and take the train to Winter Park.

Just make sure you study the SunRail schedule closely, so that there are no surprises.
ANOTHER BONUS TO SUNRAIL

Now through September, show your SunRail ticket and get free admission to the Morse Museum.

Planning your visit to the Morse Museum of American Art
Closed Thread

Tags
trip, mansion, beautiful, stetson, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.