Very Important: CBS, Concrete block and stuccco, versus vinyl frame construction

Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2008, 11:51 PM
Default Very Important: CBS, Concrete block and stuccco, versus vinyl frame construction

My husband and I will be down in TV on the 8th of March and will be in the market to buy a house. Having lived in NC for so many years, we do not know what type construction we should be concentrating on in Florida. What is the difference in the CBS (concrete, block and stucco) versus vinyl frame construction in terms of long-term maintenance and endurance? How often will we have to repaint CBS, in particular, and how durable is the vinyl frame construction in hurricanes/tornados? Does anyone know which houses sustained the damaging winds from the hurricane last year better than others? Any info you can provide would be most helpful and appreciated.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:21 AM
Default Re: Very Important: CBS, Concrete block and stuccco, versus vinyl frame construction

I used to live in a stucco block courtyard villa. After 7 years it was about ready to be painted. Would cost a lot. Moved to a frame/vinyl siding ranch. The porch area needs cleaned but only costs $45 for the whole house. I think insurance is more so I guess it eventually comes about the same cost. I have loved both but got a really got deal on the turnkey 3 bedroom ranch. I even have 2 palm trees, an orange tree, a lemon tree and a grapefruit tree. I could not be happier BUT the courtyard villa was really nice too.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:36 AM
Default Re: Very Important: CBS, Concrete block and stuccco, versus vinyl frame construc

I think you would want to consider energy consumption. Block holds the temp more evenly. Good luck
Old 02-25-2008, 01:36 PM
Gold member
Default Re: Very Important: CBS, Concrete block and stuccco, versus vinyl frame construc

Best as I understand, block (CBS) is more durable in hurricanes/wind storms but requires cleaning, painting, and general maintenance more often (and hence more costly). Vinyl siding has much lower maintenance costs (an occasional power washing) and, in my opinion, looks more pleasing, but clearly it will not hold us as well in really horrific weather. Then again, that's what insurance is for. Seems to me that the vast majority of houses in TV are vinyl, not CBS; however, when buying vinyl, one should be conscious of those areas where the vinyl siding was not properly applied....
Old 02-25-2008, 05:20 PM
Gold member

Hi,

Somewhere on one of the threads there was a discussion about this. If I recall correctly, do not know the percentages, people who had the stucco house noticed that there was a crack in the stucco. I do not recall if they stated whose responsibility it was to correct this problem.

My suggestion would be to use the search area in the tool bar to find this thread.

Hope this helps.

Hyacinth Bucket
Old 02-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyacinth Bucket
Hi,

Somewhere on one of the threads there was a discussion about this. If I recall correctly, do not know the percentages, people who had the stucco house noticed that there was a crack in the stucco. I do not recall if they stated whose responsibility it was to correct this problem.

My suggestion would be to use the search area in the tool bar to find this thread.

Hope this helps.

Hyacinth Bucket
Not sure what you are referring to by "a crack in the stucco". In my experience, any kind of cement can crack. A hair-line crack, here and there, in a patio or garage floor would be somewhat normal. Even in a CBS house. I was told to look for cracks in the outside walls near the windows. Sure enough, descending down from the corners of some of the windows were hairline cracks. It's part of the settling process. I caulked them to be sure that I do not let any moisture in through the cracks. And I used caulk that matched the color of the house so I don't have to paint to cover. Fortunately, almond caulk just about matches. And the repairs are so small they'd be all but invisible even if the color wasn't close.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:21 PM
Platinum member
Default Re: Very Important: CBS, Concrete block and stuccco, versus vinyl frame construction

Ouida:
IMO, those with CBS homes fared slightly better if they were in the tornado's direct path last year. But, note I said only slightly. Frame/vinyl homes may have been totally destroyed, whereas CBS structures probably lost their roof, but didn't lose the walls, etc.

I am fortunate to have come to TV when it was still possible to build to order. There was absolutely no question in my mind that CBS was the way to go. Perhaps that was influenced by having lived in a brick home nearly forever! I have never had the slightest regret. And, yes, the CBS did cost more than the equivalent frame/vinyl home would have, but my recollection is maybe only 10%. Well worth it, to me.

SWR
Old 02-25-2008, 09:47 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrinfla
Ouida:
IMO, those with CBS homes fared slightly better if they were in the tornado's direct path last year. But, note I said only slightly. Frame/vinyl homes may have been totally destroyed, whereas CBS structures probably lost their roof, but didn't lose the walls, etc.

I am fortunate to have come to TV when it was still possible to build to order. There was absolutely no question in my mind that CBS was the way to go. Perhaps that was influenced by having lived in a brick home nearly forever! I have never had the slightest regret. And, yes, the CBS did cost more than the equivalent frame/vinyl home would have, but my recollection is maybe only 10%. Well worth it, to me.

SWR
One of my criteria was to have a concrete house as well. Three little pigs and all.
As it is a single floor, I wasn't too concerned about regular painting.
There were certainly lots of concrete homes damaged by the tornado. I'd guess manufactured homes would fare worst, wood frame a little better, and CBS better still. But I'm not sure it would make much of a difference if the roof was off, the windows blown in and the contents sucked away!
I know there was a concrete villa across from the entrance to Sunset Pointe on Buena Vista that was razed after the tornado. I didn't see it before it was taken down, but did see the empty spot there. It's been rebuilt since. You want the tornado to miss you!!
Old 02-25-2008, 09:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I think there are pluses and minuses for either type, I think it is more of a personal preference but as SWR pointed out the CBS costs a little more. For us we went with CBS because we liked the look a little better, to us it seemed more FLA than vinyl. Certainly didn't hurt that the size of the house and interior cabinets and floors were just what we were looking for in the house we bought. gn
Old 02-26-2008, 12:18 AM
Sage

Curious why the CBS Stucco needs to be painted in about 7 years?

Stucco usually has a "color coat - stucco with intregal color" that can last for nearly 30 - 40 years without painting.
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 02-26-2008, 02:57 AM
Veteran member

I think it is just a personal preference. l lived in Boynton Beach and had a concrete home that had to be painted in seven years and cost about $1300. to paint. When we moved to TV we bought a vinyl home. Now we have it power washed every six months for $45.00 and other then that I find no difference. The house stays just as cool or warm as the concrete home.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:39 AM

We observed quite a huge difference in the structural integrity of the CBS homes compared to the vinyl homes during the tornado. The winds tore the vinyl off like peeling wallpaper, and for the most part the CBS homes didn't suffer near as much damage.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:35 PM

I live in Mallory which was hit pretty hard by the tornado. The tornado was an equal opportunity hitter. It didn't matter which construction you had. It's about like surge protection, if you get a direct hit, it doesn't really matter.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:22 PM

My sincere thanks to all of you for taking the time to give me your invaluable input.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.