water lot homes - any concerns?

Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2013, 08:56 PM
Default water lot homes - any concerns?

I love the beauty of a water lot property but was wondering if mosquitoes and other insects become an issue. . . or are there any other issues of concern when buying a home that backs to water?
Thanks for any feedback!
Old 09-16-2013, 09:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful2 View Post
I love the beauty of a water lot property but was wondering if mosquitoes and other insects become an issue. . . or are there any other issues of concern when buying a home that backs to water?
Thanks for any feedback!
CQuick has told us that the frogs are pretty loud. Not her neighbors the ones in the water.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:47 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,300 Times in 536 Posts

Except for bugs, snakes and gators there is nothing wrong with waterfront lots in Florida. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:49 PM
Sage

I'm on water. depends if it's a prairie, a preserve, a golfing lake, or what and what time of year...I get minimal insects on the birdcage, guess you'd have to be specific. No mosquitoes even outside the cage. lovebugs like the never ending row of night lamps, so I turned mine off.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Except for bugs, snakes and gators there is nothing wrong with waterfront lots in Florida. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
This is pretty much what I have heard over the years about waterfront properties, particularly about snakes (mostly harmless, I'm told). A local tradesman who was born and grew up here and is grateful to TV for his business (whom I found through TOTV recommendation) has often commented about TV being built with the mandated water catchment basins which are then marketed as upscale (that is, "up-priced") waterfront lots....
Old 09-17-2013, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinklesweep View Post
This is pretty much what I have heard over the years about waterfront properties, particularly about snakes (mostly harmless, I'm told). A local tradesman who was born and grew up here and is grateful to TV for his business (whom I found through TOTV recommendation) has often commented about TV being built with the mandated water catchment basins which are then marketed as upscale (that is, "up-priced") waterfront lots....

Did someone mention snakes? Guess I shall cross "waterfront" on our house lot choice off our list!!!
Old 09-17-2013, 05:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful2 View Post
Thanks for any feedback!
We back on two small ponds. No mosquitos, no snakes, just the sweet lullaby of frogs serenading you to sleep. And in the morning you waken to see all the birds fish for food. If you're lucky, you may see pelicans and Sandhills cranes. Water lots are awesome.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:11 AM
Platinum member

Uhhhh, gators eating your dogs? Maybe not.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:04 AM
Sage

One of the iffy things about some of the water lots is there is the possibility the "water" will dry up...TV does not guarantee the water will be there in the future. I was told that is what happened in Belvedere which annoyed some owners. I think the marshes might be concerning because in drought, everything would start to grow with the increase sun and then with a small amount of water, would grow even faster until ...no more marsh. The retaining ponds probably have a better chance because they can divert water here and there accordingly.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
We back on two small ponds. No mosquitos, no snakes, just the sweet lullaby of frogs serenading you to sleep. And in the morning you waken to see all the birds fish for food. If you're lucky, you may see pelicans and Sandhills cranes. Water lots are awesome.
This sounds like heaven! Enjoy!
Old 09-17-2013, 07:22 AM
Default Regrets on buying a water view lot?

Does anyone know of anyone who bought a water view lot at The Villages...but later came to regret their decision?
Old 09-17-2013, 07:31 AM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

We live on the water side of Mission Hills and also face Live Oaks Park. We wake up to the lake glistening, the birds flying, the huge sky over the lake. We have a birdcage and do not have any bug issues except the same as everyone else like love bugs. The sound of the frogs and crickets at night is entertaining. I would not move and am happy we made the choice to pay the extra and live there. It really is peaceful and private.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:46 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
CQuick has told us that the frogs are pretty loud. Not her neighbors the ones in the water.
The frogs are only loud in the hot summer, they have actually quieted down already. No sound from them at all in the winter, of course.

We don't notice any more bugs here than we had at the villa or the house in Liberty Park. It is nice to see the ducks and egrets and other water birds.

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 09-18-2013, 08:36 AM

Thank you for all your responses! It does sound like people who have bought a water view property are very happy with their decision.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:17 AM
Sage

We are right on Lake Sumter. The lake offers us so many different sights. Sometimes it looks like millions of diamonds have been dropped on the surface of the water. The water color changes with the color of the sky. Sometimes it looks pink and another time it may look indigo, or white..or like glass. It is always beautiful and I will never tire of it. Bugs, snakes, and alligators exist everywhere in central Florida. I certainly would not give up my lakefront for any of them.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.