Freezing In Michigan

Closed Thread
Old 01-22-2013, 06:40 PM
Default Freezing In Michigan

Can't wait to start living the dream in the Villages this summer. Driving to work this morning the temp. was negative 3 below but windchill was 20 below!
Schools were closed due to the frigid wind chills!
Old 01-22-2013, 06:46 PM
Sage

Been there - done that - and for the life of me can't understand why anyone would willingly subject themselves to those conditions other than employment Yes, it is beautiful in summer, but I don't particlulary care for the 3/9 rule.

Last edited by gomoho; 01-22-2013 at 06:47 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-22-2013, 07:19 PM
Veteran member

All schools including the university closed today due to -15f temperature. Crazy cold wind chill. A couple of tires on my truck were registering low air. Blah. All I keep thinking about is my beautiful house in TV just sitting there patiently waiting for our return. Daddy's coming soon baby! See you in two weeks.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:01 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Been there - done that - and for the life of me can't understand why anyone would willingly subject themselves to those conditions other than employment Yes, it is beautiful in summer, but I don't particlulary care for the 3/9 rule.

3/9 rule
do tell

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 01-22-2013, 08:40 PM

not to whine, but we did not get over 42 here today in Kennesaw GA. We are from CT and have become spoiled!! Leaving for a long weekend to see the progress on the building of our home in Gilchrist on Thursday and looking forward to warm weather!!!!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiganders View Post
Can't wait to start living the dream in the Villages this summer. Driving to work this morning the temp. was negative 3 below but windchill was 20 below!
Wow! And I thought it was cold today in PA. Then again, one of our daughter's best friends and several relatives went to Univ. of Michigan, so I've heard how cold it gets when the wind blows off the lakes.

Hubby and I were talking this morning over whether we will get acclimated to the weather in Florida to such an extent that we will not be able to tolerate the cold when we come up north for visits. I know that's what happened to my parents who retired to Florida. They would freeze when visiting us, and we would swelter when visiting them because they never seemed to turn the air conditioning low enough. Kind of reminded me of a Seinfeld episode when he used to visit his parents. Now we will become them!!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiganders View Post
OMG. Freezing in Chicago too, but not as bad as Michigan. The brakes on my car act funny when the temps go below 10 degrees. I found that out last night after working a 10 hour day. . I have to let the car warm up for about 5 minutes before I leave the parking lot at work, otherwise the brake pedal is not working properly...should get this checked out, but last month I put $2,000 into my car. I hate winter!! Just my rant for the day.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:54 PM
Location: The woods of the UP of Michigan and the Village of Pinellas

Husband had difficulty flying out of UP in Michigan this AM. ( -22 F ) at the airport and the gas to refuel into the airplane wouldn't flow and the de-icing machine froze -up. They had to go to the hangers and try to find some warmer de-icer material. Yikes....they were 1.5 hours late. Luckily the winds weren't too bad. We are both hoping this is our last winter in the north - want to build this summer in TV.

I'd rather regret what I've done, than regret what I've left undone. Lucille Ball
Old 01-22-2013, 10:00 PM
Sage

It was downright cold at Lake Sumter Landing tonight for the music of Uncle Bob's Rock Shop. I had to wear long pants! If it had gotten any colder, I would have had to put on socks. It was so cold that it took 15 minutes for the ice to melt in my vodka tonic.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
3/9 rule
do tell
Probably 3 months of "warm" weather..........9 months of "other" weather.

Bill
Old 01-22-2013, 10:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
3/9 rule
do tell
three months of decent weather, 9 months of #$%^&* Sounds like Michigan, although we don't always get the whole three months.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I put on jeans, a cotton turtleneck, sweatshirt, my husband's Pirates jacket and a scarf for my 9:00 pm jaunt with the dog. Didn't need gloves, though, and I was mildly too warm by the time we got back.. I can live with that! No Nighttime walks in West MI in January. Not very many daytime ones either.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:36 AM
Sage

Yep 3/9 3 months of summer 9 of winter. We moved around frequently with my husband's career and developed this system of grading weather. And growing up in Cleveland, Ohio I know something about weather!!! There if we were lucky we had 3 months of sun and 9 months of gloom. I definitely belong in the south - don't ya think!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:40 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG@TV View Post
Wow! And I thought it was cold today in PA. Then again, one of our daughter's best friends and several relatives went to Univ. of Michigan, so I've heard how cold it gets when the wind blows off the lakes.

Hubby and I were talking this morning over whether we will get acclimated to the weather in Florida to such an extent that we will not be able to tolerate the cold when we come up north for visits. I know that's what happened to my parents who retired to Florida. They would freeze when visiting us, and we would swelter when visiting them because they never seemed to turn the air conditioning low enough. Kind of reminded me of a Seinfeld episode when he used to visit his parents. Now we will become them!!
I'm from Michigan. My daughter is in Grand Rapids & my sister is in Troy. They are freezing their duppas off.
I've been in Florida 12 1/2 years. Once it hits 70, I'm freezing !! I could never live up north again.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:51 AM
Sage

I lived in downtown Cleveland for a year and with the wind whiiping off the lake, the wind chill was 38 below. The following week warmed up to 36 below.

Here in CT, it is single digits for several days but no wind but it's cold enough for me. It makes me think of movig to TV even more.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.