Villages dispute with the IRS latest

Closed Thread
Old 05-24-2016, 09:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
edited.... does that mean you are not moving.
Busted!
Old 05-25-2016, 12:40 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
The IRS memo states “… we decided to close the examination with no change to the position that interest received by the beneficial owners of the Bonds is excludable from gross income.”

Found here at district site -> http://www.districtgov.org/images/IR...%205-19-16.pdf

And this means...

The developer has been promising to turn the facilities in Districts six through ten over to the residents as soon as this IRS case was settled. It appears that time has arrived.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I am NOT a fan of anything being turned over to the populace. You get people running for office that would rather do that than play golf. That is just sick.

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-25-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Yeah twoplanekid, what in the world are you thinking?

Don't you understand that the government/developer/(insert other ruling entity here), knows a heck of a lot more about what you want and what is good for you than you do?
Old 05-26-2016, 09:15 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Having work in the private sector for most of my life except for three years in the military, I have received a green light from my wife to do things a little bit differently when we move permanently to The Villages. She had always insisted that I stay out of public life which in retrospect has keep me focused on my business. However, public service is a good thing and if I have the opportunity to serve I will no matter what my age might be.

The Villages is managed by good people who work in both private and public entities. Many volunteer their time to help in public service positions which helps us all. For some, life isn’t all about golf or pickleball.

P.S. I am not directing these comments to any specific person as that would be against the rules of this forum! It's just my beliefs.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Having work in the private sector for most of my life except for three years in the military, I have received a green light from my wife to do things a little bit differently when we move permanently to The Villages. She had always insisted that I stay out of public life which in retrospect has keep me focused on my business. However, public service is a good thing and if I have the opportunity to serve I will no matter what my age might be.

The Villages is managed by good people who work in both private and public entities. Many volunteer their time to help in public service positions which helps us all. For some, life isn’t all about golf or pickleball.

P.S. I am not directing these comments to any specific person as that would be against the rules of this forum! It's just my beliefs.
I suggest you live here full-time for at least 4 years before running for district office.

Before you can represent a constituency with insight, you need to know how they live, think, play and budget themselves, and how they interact with newcomers, guests and relatives of all ages.

Without such insights learned by living here, it looks only like an urge to govern and lord over others.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:08 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,310 Times in 544 Posts
Default Live in TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimesintv View Post
I suggest you live here full-time for at least 4 years before running for district office.

Before you can represent a constituency with insight, you need to know how they live, think, play and budget themselves, and how they interact with newcomers, guests and relatives of all ages.

Without such insights learned by living here, it looks only like an urge to govern and lord over others.

I agree one needs to actually live here a while before representing the residents in a District Office, however four years might be a bit long. Anybody willing to serve is more than welcome as most of us are "truly" retired. It's not we don't care----it's more like let "Jim" do it.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:33 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimesintv View Post

For most if not all Village elected or appointed positions, a full one year residency is required. If only by happenstance, I have rented for one winter season and spent the last two winter seasons in the house I purchased in Dec. of 2014. This time doesn’t count but is good experience nevertheless.

Since Oct. of 2014, this forum has given me almost a lifetime of experience with Village people.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Experience yes, but have you learned anything?
Old 05-26-2016, 04:17 PM
Platinum member

Old 05-26-2016, 04:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
For most if not all Village elected or appointed positions, a full one year residency is required. If only by happenstance, I have rented for one winter season and spent the last two winter seasons in the house I purchased in Dec. of 2014. This time doesn’t count but is good experience nevertheless.

Since Oct. of 2014, this forum has given me almost a lifetime of experience with Village people.
Until you have seen and lived with next-door neighbors and the whole street (who have been caring, loyal friends) start arguing and then full-blown battling about driveway painting/ coatings, pricing and contractors and then reporting a neighbor whose contractor wasn't chosen by the neighbors on the committee; choosing cyv paint color combinations for the ARC to approve and then some homeowners defy the rules and go ahead and paint with unapproved colors anyway; or calling ARC every time a neighbor plants something the caller doesn't like; or neighbors nag constantly about a landlord's property managers not keeping the property in good condition; or calling Community Watch every time a dog is walked by and a plastic bag for poop isn't visible in the hands of the dog owner...

....you can't possibly know what insights are needed to represent the neighbors reasonably and impartially.

Your wife will thank me for telling you this.

Last edited by goodtimesintv; 05-26-2016 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:

Your posts are welcome here, TPK. Don't let the village elders bully you as to what you can post.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:00 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Your posts are welcome here, TPK. Don't let the village elders bully you as to what you can post.

Here, here. The Villages needs more open-minded people in government, those that can look at both sides of an issue and aren't totally brainwashed.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
Here, here. The Villages needs more open-minded people in government, those that can look at both sides of an issue and aren't totally brainwashed.

Jan.

My fear is that somebody will get a big tide goin' to make this a "regular" community with all of the usual pitfalls and the usual hike in taxes because of expenditures for this and that that are the whims of the isolated few. There are some who have stated that they would like to see the CDD form of government abolished, and I personally think that it works here better than the traditional form of government. There are some who dislike the family, and the family's control simply because they are envious of their huge financial success. I would be skeptical too, if I thought for a minute we weren't getting a lot for our investment.

I can understand someone truly seeing the need for a change to happen if they saw a problem, but it worries me when someone just wants to change things to put their mark on history.

Maybe a fifteen mile an hour speed limit for golf carts would be better, maybe more lights along the paths would be better, maybe not driving your golf cart after dark would be better, and maybe we should have a license plate on golf carts and a police force paid by us.

Being a fiscal conservative and a person who doesn't like big government, I would shy away from those kinds of things, but just like so many of us senior citizens, I won't live forever.

I do know that I have seen people in other homeowner's associations make a complete shambles of a good thing because they had no general knowledge of running a homeowners association and would lobby for their very personal wants.

We all have value systems about what we think is acceptable to spend money on and who to spend money on and that makes for a lively debate in state and local and national government. But I wish that we wouldn't have to worry about a big change here. I think it is as good as it can get.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Jan.

My fear is that somebody will get a big tide goin' to make this a "regular" community with all of the usual pitfalls and the usual hike in taxes because of expenditures for this and that that are the whims of the isolated few. There are some who have stated that they would like to see the CDD form of government abolished, and I personally think that it works here better than the traditional form of government. There are some who dislike the family, and the family's control simply because they are envious of their huge financial success. I would be skeptical too, if I thought for a minute we weren't getting a lot for our investment.

I can understand someone truly seeing the need for a change to happen if they saw a problem, but it worries me when someone just wants to change things to put their mark on history.

Maybe a fifteen mile an hour speed limit for golf carts would be better, maybe more lights along the paths would be better, maybe not driving your golf cart after dark would be better, and maybe we should have a license plate on golf carts and a police force paid by us.

Being a fiscal conservative and a person who doesn't like big government, I would shy away from those kinds of things, but just like so many of us senior citizens, I won't live forever.

I do know that I have seen people in other homeowner's associations make a complete shambles of a good thing because they had no general knowledge of running a homeowners association and would lobby for their very personal wants.

We all have value systems about what we think is acceptable to spend money on and who to spend money on and that makes for a lively debate in state and local and national government. But I wish that we wouldn't have to worry about a big change here. I think it is as good as it can get.
Don't forget those who look for a problem when none exists.

Tags
irs, gross, income.”, found, bonds

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.