Villages documentary

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2015, 11:55 AM
Default Villages documentary

I've been seriously kicking around the idea of doing a documentary about The Villages, its people, its history and success. First things first, in no means is it a expose or an attempt to dig up or uncover dirt.

The film's direction will be focused on interviews of Villagers and exploring the various lifestyles in The Villages. I'll probably cover politics in brief (because that's always a fun subject.) Also, dissect various subgroups who live here, like adult children who live with their parents, caregivers, the oldtimers and workers. I'll probably end on what's in the future for retirees, and if The Villages mojo will remain sustainable or evolve for your kids and grandkids.

It'll take at least 50 one-on-one interviews, 14+ months and about $25,000, which would need to be crowdfunded through a site like Kickstarter or Indiegogo. My hope would be to have it premiered here, and possibly do a few film festivals.

My background is mostly marketing and online video learning. I'm also an amatuer historian, so I'm skilled in research and putting stuff together.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

Interesting concept, but I would take a different approach. Why not try contacting several of the clubs, and have a group interview, IMHO, I think you would get more and better participation. For example, I would probably not be interested in a personal interview, but would probably participate in a group discussion type interview.

Good luck on your project.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Moon View Post
I've been seriously kicking around the idea of doing a documentary about The Villages, its people, its history and success. First things first, in no means is it a expose or an attempt to dig up or uncover dirt.

The film's direction will be focused on interviews of Villagers and exploring the various lifestyles in The Villages. I'll probably cover politics in brief (because that's always a fun subject.) Also, dissect various subgroups who live here, like adult children who live with their parents, caregivers, the oldtimers and workers. I'll probably end on what's in the future for retirees, and if The Villages mojo will remain sustainable or evolve for your kids and grandkids.

It'll take at least 50 one-on-one interviews, 14+ months and about $25,000, which would need to be crowdfunded through a site like Kickstarter or Indiegogo. My hope would be to have it premiered here, and possibly do a few film festivals.

My background is mostly marketing and online video learning. I'm also an amatuer historian, so I'm skilled in research and putting stuff together.
You would have to get permission to use any of The Villages properties in a scene. Good luck with that.

Last edited by Chi-Town; 08-01-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Moon View Post
It'll take about $25,000, which would need to be crowdfunded through a site like Kickstarter or Indiegogo.
or TOTV?

500 Villagers at $50 - and I'll be your first investor
Old 08-01-2015, 02:16 PM

The clubs could be part of the story, but it's the people, their journey, and attitudes that I'm more interested in to tell the story. I think it all weaves into the common enchantment of The Villages to retirees. Clubs and happenings also contribute to its success on a social level, and there's room for some of that as a cause.

I'm conscientious and savvy to PR, which is one reason I prefaced with this is not an investigative effort. Public relations is a dance, and I'll have to establish some trust and always play by the rules if I expect any cooperation.

Really, this is not only about The Villages and what makes it work, but also about getting older in America and showing a slice of that through examples.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox;109***8
or TOTV?

500 Villagers at $50 - and I'll be your first investor
Thank you. And that's what I'm hoping for. I still have a little more work to do before I solicit money.

Like with most crowdfunding efforts, there would be perks... like a screening, tshirts, producer credits, etc..
Old 08-01-2015, 03:30 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Not sure that 50 one-on-one interviews re life experiences/attitudes/opinions would be able to capture and adequately describe the history/successes - and don't forget failures/changes in direction of The Villages.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:52 PM

The Villages is mostly a binder, as it's part of everyone's story and their current setting. I probably will not use all 50 interviews, and there will be other footage too.

If I get into the pitfalls or failures, it'll be because someone experienced them directly.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Not sure that 50 one-on-one interviews re life experiences/attitudes/opinions would be able to capture and adequately describe the history/successes - and don't forget failures/changes in direction of The Villages.
Overall, The Villages is a success, and there's reasons people keep coming.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:46 PM

Hi. My parents are "Village People " since 1996, I moved here
In 2012 to care for them. We are 3 generations living together
In harmony ( most of the time��). Have a few stories to
Contribute if you like.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieNonnie View Post
Hi. My parents are "Village People " since 1996, I moved here
In 2012 to care for them. We are 3 generations living together
In harmony ( most of the time��). Have a few stories to
Contribute if you like.
Connie, your story is the types I'm looking for. Message me, and I'll keep you in the loop as things start to materialize.

The different types of people who move to and live in The Villages is the focus. I'm in a similar situation as you, so I can relate. There are people who have been here for years, and have seen the changes. There are active and younger Villagers, while others are closer to end of life. Some people leave The Villages and going back to where they lived before, etc..
Old 08-01-2015, 06:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town;109***7
You would have to get permission to use any of The Villages properties in a scene. Good luck with that.
Really?
Old 08-01-2015, 07:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

I would hope anyone investing in this would seriously vet the project and the developer, if those are accurate descriptions.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
I would hope anyone investing in this would seriously vet the project and the developer, if those are accurate descriptions.
Crowdfunding isn't really investing. The return benefit is that the film gets completed. There will be perks, like having access to the end product online, ticket to an opening night, tshirts, producer credits and updates and raw footage along the way.

I'll lay out the project, tell you a little about my experience and offer various levels of support. But, I'm also happy to be vetted and will answer whatever questions I can.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Really?
I'll seek out whatever permissions or permits as necessary. It's like, I cannot just walk into the sales center and begin filming.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, interviews, live, documentary, $25, 000, kickstarter, site, crowdfunded, months, kids, grandkids, evolve, sustainable, one-on-one, indiegogo, 14+, premiered, historian, amatuer, learning, video, skilled, stuff, putting, research

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.