Villages Entertainment

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2017, 09:40 PM
Veteran member
Default Villages Entertainment

I'm new to the Villages and I saw a band at Lake Sumter square few days ago that I really liked. Uncle Bob's something. What other bands that are performing at the squares, or local restaurants that are worth following? I'm talking about bands not karaoke singers. Any kind of music is OK, 50's on up, as long as it is done well.

Any favorite suggestions?
Old 02-18-2017, 10:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

You saw Uncle Bob's Rock Shop, a particular favorite of mine. Carribean Chillers is wildly popular. You can see who is playing at each of the squares in the Daily Sun, along with a brief description of the type of music they play.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:29 AM

Rocky and the Rollers
Old 02-19-2017, 07:47 AM
Gold member

Cactus Jack and the Cadillacs
Johnny Dee and the Starlighters
MPire
anything with Clark Berros, Funtastic ect
Rock Solid

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 02-19-2017, 10:39 AM

The Band 4-Play
Second Slice

Uncle Bob's Rock Shop is one of our favorites, love the Pink Floyd covers.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I've seen Uncle Bob about 35 times over the last six years, they were my natural inclination when I first moved here. The only regret I have is their set list is almost memorized in my brain. About a year ago they did add 2 David Bowie songs and 2 Eagles (Glen Frey) songs after the two had passed. Otherwise, sometimes I have to take a break, which I'm currently on, so their music will sound fresh again.

Currently I hooked on Johnny D and the Starlights, I've seen them 5 times since last summer. It goes to the roots of rock'n'roll with a Buddy Holly style set list and performance. Every Bros, Chuck Berry, etc.

Cactus Jack and the Cadillacs I had last saw New Years Eve two years ago at Brownwood when it was about 48 degrees. For some reason TV had quit booking them for reasons unknown, but of late they've been back on the schedule. They come closer to Uncle Bob, if you like the one hit psych-rock wonders of the late 60's such as The Count Five, The Human Beinz, Crazy Elephant and the like, you'll love these guys. They rock out.

The Caribbean Chillers is a Jimmy Buffet style show, so if you like a change of pace with familiar tunes, and want to see a bunch of Parrot Heads in action, check these guys out. I've caught their act a few times and it's a fun time.

The Clark Barrios bands mentioned is something you can't help but see if you go to the squares a lot since he's in a bout 6 different lineups. His first set is usually a Frank Sinatra, Michael Buble, Harry Connick Jr performance, some people enjoy it, I do not. His second and third set will rock a little more, things like Barry Manilow, he usually has 1 or 2 girls to help share the singing.

There are a few others out of Orlando that will hit the stages here once in a while, their names escape me. The easiest way to check out a band is almost everyone who performs here will have a video on Youtube.com. Some are shot professionally by the artist and some by a Villager and put it on the internet. Some bands have their own website (Johnny D) or a facebook page (Uncle Bob), this way you can see all the play dates, the good ones perform in many other places as well.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:21 AM

Scooter the DJ is a wonderful high-energy hoot. He packs 'em in. And, be in a Chair-at-the-Square (or bring your own) by at least 4:10 p.m. for his 5:00 p.m. start. Enjoy!
Old 02-19-2017, 12:16 PM
Sage

Rick Melvern but only when he has his band is especially good.

Motown music and he does a great Stevie Wonder.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-19-2017, 05:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I've seen Uncle Bob about 35 times over the last six years, they were my natural inclination when I first moved here. The only regret I have is their set list is almost memorized in my brain. About a year ago they did add 2 David Bowie songs and 2 Eagles (Glen Frey) songs after the two had passed. Otherwise, sometimes I have to take a break, which I'm currently on, so their music will sound fresh again.

Currently I hooked on Johnny D and the Starlights, I've seen them 5 times since last summer. It goes to the roots of rock'n'roll with a Buddy Holly style set list and performance. Every Bros, Chuck Berry, etc.

Cactus Jack and the Cadillacs I had last saw New Years Eve two years ago at Brownwood when it was about 48 degrees. For some reason TV had quit booking them for reasons unknown, but of late they've been back on the schedule. They come closer to Uncle Bob, if you like the one hit psych-rock wonders of the late 60's such as The Count Five, The Human Beinz, Crazy Elephant and the like, you'll love these guys. They rock out.

The Caribbean Chillers is a Jimmy Buffet style show, so if you like a change of pace with familiar tunes, and want to see a bunch of Parrot Heads in action, check these guys out. I've caught their act a few times and it's a fun time.

The Clark Barrios bands mentioned is something you can't help but see if you go to the squares a lot since he's in a bout 6 different lineups. His first set is usually a Frank Sinatra, Michael Buble, Harry Connick Jr performance, some people enjoy it, I do not. His second and third set will rock a little more, things like Barry Manilow, he usually has 1 or 2 girls to help share the singing.

There are a few others out of Orlando that will hit the stages here once in a while, their names escape me. The easiest way to check out a band is almost everyone who performs here will have a video on Youtube.com. Some are shot professionally by the artist and some by a Villager and put it on the internet. Some bands have their own website (Johnny D) or a facebook page (Uncle Bob), this way you can see all the play dates, the good ones perform in many other places as well.
Thanks for all the information and recommendations.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

How could I forget Rocky and the Rollers, my wife's favorite band but she grew up during the 50's. One of the singers spent some time with The Platters, they perform a good amount of doo-whop, even heard a couple of Blood, Sweat & Tears songs last time I saw them. They have a 3 piece horn section, their playing is impeckable, even if you're not a big fan of the 50's, you should enjoy them. They will draw the biggest crowds of any band, although Johnny D is coming close in size.

Scooter the DJ I left out, but since they have been mentioned I'll add my review. It isn't much of a review since I don't line dance. It's an audience participation type show with a guy who could of, or maybe was, a morning DJ at some top 40 station in the past. If you like hearing and watching a crazy guy lead a couple of hundred people who are line dancing to songs you maybe have never heard before, then go check him out. It's only records, no live playing, music or anything that resembles a band. They had stopped puttings DJ's at the squares about a year ago with the exception of Scooter. I've noticed lately they've sprinkled some of them back into the schedule.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:27 PM
Gold member

Check out the Donna Moore/Dunning Shaw show on Monday's at Katie Belle's. They impersonate singers such as Sonny & Cher, Ray Orberson, Elvis, Lady Gaga, Tammy Wynette, Liza Minnelli and many many more. This show has been in The Villages for 10 years and is always been a favorite of mine. It is a dinner show (around $28pp) and reservations are needed.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member

If you like good ole blues, check out Bobby Blackman.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:03 PM
Veteran member

Thanks to all that replied. To summarize the recommendations for bands playing in the Villages:

Uncle Bob's Rock Shop
Rocky and the Rollers - (Plan to see them at Spanish Springs on Monday.)
Cactus Jack and the Cadillacs
Johnny Dee and the Starlighters
MPire
anything with Clark Berros, Funtastic ...
Rock Solid
Carribean Chillers
The Band 4-Play
Second Slice
Rick Melvern - (What's his band called?)
Scooter the DJ - (I saw him perform? on a previous vist. Not my type of show. But, the grandkids might enjoy his juvenile antics.)
Donna Moore/Dunning Shaw show on Monday's at Katie Belle's -(Is this with a band or is the music pre-recorded?)
Bobby Blackman - Blues (I did go to McCall's once for a blues night with various musicians playing from the audience, is this the same?) Had fun.

Mentioned by neighbors:

1. Blue Stone Circle - they're a young person's band, out of Orlando. Recently played at Spanish Springs.
2. She saw Flashback for a packed New Years party at the Savanna Rec center. 50's 60's full band with an exceptional female singer. Said they were Village residents. Plays the squares on occasion.

I see that some of these are playing in my nearby squares (Spanish Springs and Lake Sumter) during Feb. and I'll be sure to check them out. (Might add my observations here)

My musical thanks to 'John W' for his insightful commentary.

Any additional suggestions?

Hope to see ya'all there!
Old 02-20-2017, 10:26 AM

Johnny Dee and The Starlights are now known as Johnny Wild and the Delights. Same band, same members, just changed the name. To me, they have the best vocals of any that play the squares.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:13 PM

What about Dawn DiNome and Flashback?
Closed Thread

Tags
bands, villages, music, kind, karaoke

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.