Closing a pool temporarily

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2012, 07:00 PM
Default Closing a pool temporarily

Does anyone have advice or information on how to close down a resistance pool for a extended period of time. I don't use the pool, but don't want to have it taken out because it would lower the value of the house/property. I just want to close it so it can be opened at a later date when the house is sold. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,349 Times in 2,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl View Post
Does anyone have advice or information on how to close down a resistance pool for a extended period of time. I don't use the pool, but don't want to have it taken out because it would lower the value of the house/property. I just want to close it so it can be opened at a later date when the house is sold. Any advice is appreciated.
Stop by one of the T & D Pool stores, they can advise the best way to accomplish this.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:22 AM
Default Closing pool

Thanks BS, but I've talked to them already. They are the ones maintaining the pool now and they aren't very helpful. Say it can't be done. However I know people up north close up their pool for at least 6-9 months of the year for the cold weather. The pool is a big $$ pit for me.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:21 AM
Veteran member

In NY we winterized the pool by adding winterizing chemicals (basically chlorine tablets), lowering the water below the skimmers, blowing out the lines (using an air compressor) and covering. We would remove the diving board and ladder, clean the filter and store. I hope this helps.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:26 PM
Default Thanks for the responses

Ended up just draining the pool, blowing the lines and filling the concrete cavity with sand bags to hold it in the ground. Don't plan to ever use the pool, but didn't want to have it taken out in case of reselling. Didn't want to lower the value of the property.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Did T&D give a reason for not closing the pool. We close our pool and sometimes our hot tub every winter
Old 07-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Did T&D give a reason for not closing the pool. We close our pool and sometimes our hot tub every winter
Based on my experience of owning a pool several years ago, you can't drain it as it could pop out of the ground like a boat. You must keep the chemicals up to prevent mold. I would never own a pool again.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Joaniesmom
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl View Post
Thanks BS, but I've talked to them already. They are the ones maintaining the pool now and they aren't very helpful. Say it can't be done. However I know people up north close up their pool for at least 6-9 months of the year for the cold weather. The pool is a big $$ pit for me.
Maybe this is stupid (won't be the first time) but could you send pictures and stats maybe even an owners manual for your pool to your friends up north and see if they could advise you or ask their pool folks how to close your pool. If you don't want to send the actual manual, you can often find the manuals online.

Just a thought.

Joaniesmom

Joanie's mom
Pennsylvania, Ohio, The Villages
So happy to be here!
Old 07-13-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
Based on my experience of owning a pool several years ago, you can't drain it as it could pop out of the ground like a boat. You must keep the chemicals up to prevent mold. I would never own a pool again.
I agree, you cannot put enought sandbags in it to equal the weight of the water. Out it comes, maybe.
Don
Old 07-13-2012, 10:02 PM
Default A thought

Wouldn't you be better off selling now and using the money from the pool to relocate and maybe have some extras in exchange or money for a new something? Get rid of the headache and your insurnace and taxes will probably drop also.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:30 PM

Here in FL as in AZ you have to keep water in it or the plaster dries up and cracks. Up north they can close pools for extended periods because it gets so cold and most of the time the water freezes. But no water here in FL it will dry and crack and be useless. If u leave water in it, it has to be maintained or u get algae and mold. It's ur choice, drain it and kiss it goodbye or keep it filled and spend some money on it and get something back in return for it.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:52 AM
Email Reported As Spam

I have a built in spa that came with the house...had no choice bought new in 2006. We don't use the spa and I am sick of maintaining it. I was told by a customer while at T&D Concrete that you could load bromide in drain the spa below the scimmer and close it down. I have yet to do it as I intended to remove it but moongirl may be right and it may be better if I sell???
Old 07-14-2012, 05:55 AM
Gold member
Talking

Seems to me if drained, the liner would discolor and maybe dry!! I think the weight of the water would hold it in place. Up north, you winterized it, by putting chemicals etc. in it and some tubes for expansion from freeze. Some people had covers to keep out leaves etc, and from filling up from snow and rain. Here in Florida, it has to be a different exposure. Can't help to believe, that with the hot sun on dry pool all day, what can happen. I wish I had that problem!! hehehe But seriously, you might want to reconsider decision. You could always have an aquarium??? Good Luck
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.