The Villages - it's a small world!!

Closed Thread
Old 07-16-2014, 06:51 AM
Platinum member
Default The Villages - it's a small world!!

The thread on "random facts about yourself" inspired me to create this thread.

It would be fun to hear who you have come across in TV.
- The best man at my sister's wedding in 1969 lives across the street from Graciegirl.
- The first supervisor I ever had in my working career (in CT) lives in TV.
- One of my high school classmates from Niagara Falls lives in TV.

Care to share about you?

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 07-16-2014, 07:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

I have met a number of lawyers here in the Villages. Some of them I have actually liked. One or more are on TOTV (so I had to say that)

A pleasant reference librarian bikes near me with her husband(?) about every night. We wave whenever we see one another.

Have had the pleasure of visiting with some people who have lived in some of the areas in which I used to reside-- the SF Bay Area; the Tampa Bay area; Chicago suburbs near O Hare; the Twin Cities; Milwaukee suburbs; Denver; not Reno, though; Scottsdale, AZ ; but not Provo, UT.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:18 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wilmington Ohio, bought in Hadley Village January 2009, move when we can retire

I've got two...

1. I have a cousin that I had only met years ago at a reunion. If I would have seen him at the Hadley mailboxes, I would have thought...Boy, he looks familiar, I must have meet him at the pool or an activity. Yep, we live in the same village and now are now, not only cousins but the best of friends....

2. While still working back in Ohio and owning, but renting out our home here...I met a friend of a friend one week before she and her husband moved to The Villages from our small town of Wilmington Ohio. We too have become friends.

I'm sure more stories like these will happen in our future here in The Villages...love this aspect. Then again...I do think, we are all really related to every other person.

P.S. Love this thread.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:27 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Met a former neighbor from California. Funny thing is that though we lived three houses apart for five years, we'd never met. Now, we get together every once in awhile just to reminisce.

Also ran into an attorney that worked at the same firm I did. Didn't like him then, don't like him now.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 07-16-2014, 10:01 AM
Veteran member

When the couple next door were moving in, we invited them over for some libations. As we were talking, she mentioned that she had met only one other person with my first name and that it was someone from high school. Yup, it was me! Hadn't seen each other for 45 years and certainly didn't recognize each other as neither of us were blondes in high school and had changed out last names. Still neighbors and good friends!
Old 07-16-2014, 10:35 AM
Sage

Three things...

Neighbor 3 doors down.... we are both from Maryland...I mentioned where I had worked (an organization with 50,000 employees), she said did you know Pat so-and-so.... turns out we were co-workers for several years and sat side by side. Pat's and my neighbor's grandkids were related by marriage.

Second time was a Daily Sun article about a woman with a somewhat unique early occupation... as I read on, I was familiar the area and facility being discussed...when I got to the woman's maiden name, turns out she was someone I went to high school with and knew quite well at one time but had not seen or heard of her in at least 30 years. I contacted her and we reconnected, played some golf and Pickleball together,

Third thing.... was at my 40th high school reunion and got to talking to someone I really didn't know well back then. Told her we lived in the Villages. She said, oh I know someone..yeah, right, there are almost 100K people here. She said do you know so and so? Turns out he was a good friend of ours, lives close by, and stayed with us while searching for his house.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:15 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wilmington Ohio, bought in Hadley Village January 2009, move when we can retire

While in Columbus visiting, I went shopping with my sister. While trying on clothes, my sister struck up a conversation with a lady waiting in line. One thing lead to another and by the time I got out of the dressing room...my sister said...this lady has been to The Villages, her sister lives there. In talking to the lady she said her sister likes to dance at the square with her husband. I have a description of the lady and I look for her when we are at the square. I haven't found her yet...it's become my "where's Waldo"
Old 07-16-2014, 01:10 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,305 Times in 540 Posts

Last winter I ran into the man who was my primary Doctor for several years who recently retired and moved into The Villages. Yep, small world.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:12 PM
Veteran member

Met a former classmate at an Indiana club meeting. He and his wife have now become good friends.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:29 PM

Our first month renting here in TV in 2007, we got off the tour bus in Sumter Landing and my wife heard a voice in the background, 'I know you.' She worked with my wife's sister and she graduated a year after I did from the same high school. These rest is history as they too are snow-birds and we've connected socially quite a number of times now. Good times are had by all in TV
Old 07-17-2014, 02:19 PM
Sage
Unhappy

Where should I begin, there's so much to tell. Many many good friends I had in grammar school and high school, well....never showed up in The Villages!
Old 07-17-2014, 02:39 PM
Gold member

When we moved to the Villages my wife had a friend that used to live in our area in NJ and both were involved in the local genealogy club. We knew that she and her husband had moved here. When we arrived we found out that my cousin and his wife lived here and had been here for 12 years prior. My wife said she knew that at one time but forgot that they lived here. After a couple of year 3 persons from the agency where my wife and I worked have moved to the Villages. There may be others that we knew but we haven't run into anyone yet. I remember when we moved here there was a listing of new residents in the recreation news which was easy to find old acquaintances but they unfortunately discontinued those listings a few years ago.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 07-22-2014, 02:08 PM
Default Great story

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac9 View Post
When the couple next door were moving in, we invited them over for some libations. As we were talking, she mentioned that she had met only one other person with my first name and that it was someone from high school. Yup, it was me! Hadn't seen each other for 45 years and certainly didn't recognize each other as neither of us were blondes in high school and had changed out last names. Still neighbors and good friends!
Hi there,
My name is Joe Pedersen, I'm a reporter for the Daily Sun, and I would absolutely love to talk to you about this ^ story. If you have time, I think it would make a great feature.

My number is 954-253-5709. Hope we can talk soon.
Joe Pedersen
Old 07-22-2014, 02:09 PM

Hi there,
My name is Joe Pedersen, I'm a reporter for the Daily Sun, and I would absolutely love to talk to you about this ^ story. If you have time, I think it would make a great feature.

My number is 954-253-5709. Hope we can talk soon.
Joe Pedersen
Old 07-30-2014, 03:06 PM
Veteran member

met someone here who used to ride the same school bus that i did back in pennsylvania.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.