Another Building Question

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2009, 01:33 PM
dfrey
Cool Another Building Question

As we ponder building our home I wonder about the benefits of Stucco versus the Vinyl siding. If I understand correctly the Stucco homes are built out of concrete block and the Vinyl Siding homes are stick built. I hear termites can be a problem in Florida. Any comments on the merits of these two options?

Don
Old 01-10-2009, 02:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,349 Times in 2,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrey View Post
As we ponder building our home I wonder about the benefits of Stucco versus the Vinyl siding. If I understand correctly the Stucco homes are built out of concrete block and the Vinyl Siding homes are stick built. I hear termites can be a problem in Florida. Any comments on the merits of these two options?

Don
do a search on stucco versus vinyl....there are many threads on this subject.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:43 PM
Platinum member

dfrey:

First of all, to TOTV, and TV.

I built in late 2004. To me, there was never any question: I'd go for the CBS (concrete block & stucco), even considering its somewhat higher price. Perhaps it's because I grew up in and then lived myself in a brick residence for some 60 years - and felt more comfortable (secure) in that construction.

When I built here, my designer was something like $3,000 more than its vinyl-sided twin. To me, at the time, that was a small price to pay for my sense of well-being. Were I to do it all over, I'd still do CBS.

'Tis true that termites can be a problem here, but that wasn't first in my mind. But, I was more concerned that "stick-built" homes might blow away in hurricanes or tornados! [Point of reference: I bought my lot three days after Hurricane Frances hit Florida over Labor Day, 2004].

Yes, termites can be a problem in Florida, but I'm inclined to think the weather is more to be considered!

Hope you make a decision soon and arrive in TV before summer!

SWR
Old 01-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Veteran member
Talking Andrew Survivor....

I agree with swrinfla

I was hunkered down in my 1926 built CBS home in Miami FL on Aug. 23, 1992 when Andrew blew over the area; therefore, any home I purchase in TV will definitely be CBS - for hurricane & tornado security and peace of mind!

P.S. It still needs to be treated for termites, though!
Old 01-11-2009, 09:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Just think of the story "Big Bad Wolf" and "Little Red Riding Hood" but honestly its more peace of mind what you think you and your family will be most comfortable and safe in. In that regard, Alot of CBS homes (and stick)got blown away in the Tornado of 2007 so nothing is fool proof. I also believe that weather is the biggest factor to consider in buying CBS vs stick and termites invade both types of homes..ie have a queen palm tree installed too close to your house and overhangs you roof allowing termites and other insects to enter through your roof.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:57 AM
Banned
Default building question

i think its a personal preference. Block stucco alot of people prefer but we love the look of siding and to tell you the truth after the tornado when we drove around all the homes had roofs off including the stucco. so we feel just as safe in our home as any other around. as far as termites that is why you hire a company to do annual termite inspections. we had termites back in NY so if you keep on top of inspections you'll be fine. Good luck in your decision.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Platinum member

As far as hurricanes/tornados go, the weak point is going to be the roof...in any type of home.
If the roof is securely anchored, then stucco, poured concrete, and stick built should be equal in extreme high winds.
Insulation R-factors and sound-deadening clearly favor the concrete.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 01-11-2009, 12:54 PM

Walls in stick built = R11 Stucco = R8
Old 01-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Platinum member

No reason you can't have a concrete block house with vinyl siding... then you don't have to worry about painting every so many years. Concrete block houses might hold up better in a tornado but with the current Florida building codes, as far as hurricanes go, damage to both will probably be pretty much equal. Again, as Kyacker said... the roof is the weak part... it'll be gone, all things being equal, whether it is on a concrete block wall or a stick built wall.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.