possible flooding

Closed Thread
Old 04-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Wink possible flooding

I'm looking at a home on Vermont between Lake Paradise to the east and south and what look like a rather large pond to the north. I'm wonder if this area is prone to flooding. I checked with the Villages people and they just said the property is on the flood plain.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Eternal Member

Lone Traveller - You can try putting your address into the page linked below, and fool around there. It will give you FEMA flood maps from a long time ago (at least it did for my address). Depending on how old the house is it may show you something relevant. You have to zoom around to the legend to see what the areas mean. "C" for instance means low likeliehood, A means higher. Elevation is also marked. It may make you feel a little better if say the area where the houses are is a higher elevation than the pond which is in the flood plain. I looked at Sumter, and the map was from 1982, and considering all of the building of houses and drainage infrastructure that's gone on, it's tough to tell if I'm OK. But it appears the area where my house sits is in a "C" zone.

http://msc.fema.gov/webapp/wcs/store...0001&langId=-1

Good Luck!
Old 04-24-2009, 02:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Isn't the whole state of Florida in a flood plain? Especially when the glaciers melt.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:44 PM
Platinum member

I may be wrong but in the 10 years I have had a house in TV, I don't remember hearing about any house that had been flooded... even during the 3 hurricanes that went thru a few years ago. I have seen golf courses, greens, and roads under water at times, but I don't recall any houses.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:27 AM
Eternal Member
Default Ten years is not long enough....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooper View Post
I may be wrong but in the 10 years I have had a house in TV, I don't remember hearing about any house that had been flooded... even during the 3 hurricanes that went thru a few years ago. I have seen golf courses, greens, and roads under water at times, but I don't recall any houses.
Ooper, the FEMA maps all reference the "100 year flood" possibility.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.