Visiting in the month of August

Closed Thread
Old 05-25-2015, 11:41 AM
Default Visiting in the month of August

In 2014 we began researching life in The Villages and made our first one week visit in January of this year. It was a very pleasant experience staying in St James Village. We are now considering coming for another week in August. Our thought is to experience the different seasons as we had heard a significant percentage of residents are indeed year round residents. We realize its hot and humid during the summer months, but then again its often hot and humid while cruising or relaxing on exotic coastal and island beaches.

We are also thinking that off-season may be a great opportunity to try our hands at learning both golf and pickle-ball (just heard that right here in Colorado they will be demonstrating pickle-ball).

Thus the purpose of this post is to ask for your comments about the following;

1. Whats the population during the summer
2. Will we see lots of grandkids and younger folks
3. Do all neighborhood and rec center pools remain open
4. How about the restaurants
5. Do the clubs welcome visitors
6. Are we right to assume most outdoor activities take place early morning and in the evenings
7. Is it worth it to rent a house with its own pool
8. Any other thoughts

Thanks for sharing about life in The Villages in August (and the summer)

Ralph
Colorado Springs, CO
Old 05-26-2015, 06:30 AM
Platinum member

Gosh, I am surprised no one offered input....

You will find August in The Villages has it's own special appeal.

There is not as much traffic- parking most anywhere is easy.
Everything is lush and green.

We run our errands early or late.... ( like at 7 a.m. or 7 p.m.) when there is a breeze and comfortable temperatures. The stores are peaceful and everything is stocked.

Golf car rides are very pleasant at these times, too.
Restaurants are a pleasure.

We do outdoor sports activities early in the day and keep the hottest part of the day for indoor activities.
Except for the Polo games and the Visual Arts Association group, I don't know of anything else that is closed during August.
Perhaps others will offer different info.

The Daily Sun Newspaper has a great pullout section every Thursday: Recreational News. In that section, you will find contact info for many of the week's activities- feel free to call and ask..... many clubs or group activities will welcome you to visit for a peek and/or participation.
(You may remember that you must have your Villages ID with you to join in)

If you like privacy/convenience, renting a place with a pool is swell. Not all home pools are equal, though. If you are a lap swimmer, for example, you may prefer using a sport pool.

You will see grandchildren here, but in almost every instance they are governed well and are a treat to have around.

We like it here in August- find it to be laid back and easy.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:23 AM
Gold member

It's hot and humid but life goes on as almost usual for us. We still play all our sports but do so prudently . We love it, no crowds and there are plenty of indoor activities to keep one busy. It will be a drastic change from Colorado in August. It does rain many afternoons but only for a short time usually.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

Regarding the weather, we grew up and experienced the "dog days" of summer in Ohio. Then we spent almost 12 years in the coastal Carolina area where unless you are on the beach under an umbrella it is very hot in the summer. We haven't found the summers here in Florida any hotter than our previous homes, summer and hot weather just lasts longer here.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:58 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post

1. Whats the population during the summer
2. Will we see lots of grandkids and younger folks
3. Do all neighborhood and rec center pools remain open
4. How about the restaurants
5. Do the clubs welcome visitors
6. Are we right to assume most outdoor activities take place early morning and in the evenings
7. Is it worth it to rent a house with its own pool
8. Any other thoughts
1. My guess, around 65,000
2. You will see grandkids throughout the summer and especially for Camp Villages (a summertime program for grandchildren and their grandparents)
3. Pools are open all summer
4. The restaurants are the same in and out of season
5. You may want to check with the clubs you are interested in (see the Thursday Rec News)
6. No, outdoor and indoor activities take place as normal (I play golf in the middle of the afternoon....I enjoy the heat...the humidity, not so much (but, you won't wilt)
7. It is worth it if you want a pool in your backyard
8. You will see lots of thunderstorms in the late afternoon
Old 05-26-2015, 08:21 AM
deestatham

I just finished 2 weeks in The Village of Chatham, trying out a house and it was great. In fact, we signed a 1 yr. lease beginning October. We plan to rent for a year before buying. You will get a guest pass to the swimming pools but the pass is only for you and your spouse, no guests of your own unless you purchase them. Had a chance to explore and get used to the roundabouts and golf carts. Looking forward to moving there in October. Our house is on the market now.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:23 AM

Hi. We have been here 15 years and still waiting for the other shoe to drop. If you experience it, you will know.

Happy Villager
Old 05-26-2015, 10:13 AM
Sage

My guess is more like 75,000 people in the summer.

Whatever you do, drink 8 to 10 - 8 oz glasses a water a day, to stay hydrated.

Last summer was the hottest in the last ten years, but still bearable. 3 and 4 PM is the hottest part of the day. Plan activities for early in the morning or later in the evening.

Have a great time.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 05-26-2015, 10:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I read somewhere that 60 to 70% of residents are full time. I don't know if that is accurate but feels about right. The activities and commercial business are year round. It is slower here in summer but is still an amazing, vibrant city. If you rent in TV you are considered a resident, not a visitor. Get out and walk in the mornings or evenings and you will meet many welcoming neighbors.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:58 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deestatham View Post
I just finished 2 weeks in The Village of Chatham, trying out a house and it was great. In fact, we signed a 1 yr. lease beginning October. We plan to rent for a year before buying. You will get a guest pass to the swimming pools but the pass is only for you and your spouse, no guests of your own unless you purchase them. Had a chance to explore and get used to the roundabouts and golf carts. Looking forward to moving there in October. Our house is on the market now.
Homeowners can apply for, but not buy guest passes. (certain rules apply) Guest passes are not for sale.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:04 PM

I love summer here. I, too, play golf in the afternoon. 2nbtv made an excellent point,"stay hydrated".
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.