Water Aerobics in Neighborhood Pools?

Closed Thread
Old 06-09-2014, 03:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post
It says holding classes or sports activities takes away from the intention for the neighborhood pools. It says while there is no current provision or policy to prohibit residents from doing this, residents are encouraged to move their sessions to the sport pools.

The last sentence- "We hope people are self- policing and self- enforcing." (Pam Henry- recreation manager for resident lifestyles)

Pam Henry "hopes" people will be self-policing and self-enforcing?
I hope to win $15 Million in a lottery.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:37 PM

I think the neighborhood pools are for the neighborhood to share. When I first bought my home I was trying out almost all the neighborhood pools! Once I just jumped in and joined a class and was made very welcome. The class I jumped in on was 1 hour (and appeared to be regularly scheduled). It seems that if you lived in the neighborhood you would know when the classes were held and schedule your own visits according to your own personal likes or dislikes (quiet time, busy time, good time to exercise, good time to nap) Flexibility & adaptability are required when you share anything!!
Old 06-09-2014, 04:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post
I was wondering that too - what's the worst that could happen if you just use it the way you want to and ignore the exercisers? Won't they need to walk around you?
Well for one thing, we saw in a post a week or so ago that people got mad at someone for trying to be in the pool signing to her deaf friend when they wanted to be in there walking. Some of these people just get downright nasty, and I could see where a pool full of 60 exercisers would gang up on the poor souls trying to get in there and relax. I sure wouldn't take them on!
Old 06-09-2014, 06:31 PM

The interesting thing is...The Daily Sun recently featured a woman who conducts a water aerobics class several days a week at the Hemingway Neighborhood Pool. Busted?
Old 06-09-2014, 06:39 PM

So, maybe I am missing something here. You want to use the pool to swim laps and get some excercise. The people in the pool want to use the pool for excercise. As many have said, common senese should be the order of the day. Just ask them to open up a lane for you. If they give you a hard time, then talk to the Rec Director
Old 06-09-2014, 07:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edjkoz View Post
So, maybe I am missing something here. You want to use the pool to swim laps and get some excercise. The people in the pool want to use the pool for excercise. As many have said, common senese should be the order of the day. Just ask them to open up a lane for you. If they give you a hard time, then talk to the Rec Director
Actually, not. Anyone wanting to swim laps should go to the sports pools. The neighborhood pools are not for exercising, and there should be no expectation of anyone opening up a lane for you, nor should there be exercise classes being conducted that effectively close off the pool for anyone trying to relax in it.

If it happens that nobody's in there and you want to swim laps, fine, but don't expect that you should be able to. They are for relaxing in, the family pools are for kids, and the sports pools are for exercise. I think it's a good design by TV.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Actually, not. Anyone wanting to swim laps should go to the sports pools. The neighborhood pools are not for exercising, and there should be no expectation of anyone opening up a lane for you, nor should there be exercise classes being conducted that effectively close off the pool for anyone trying to relax in it.

If it happens that nobody's in there and you want to swim laps, fine, but don't expect that you should be able to. They are for relaxing in, the family pools are for kids, and the sports pools are for exercise. I think it's a good design by TV.
Thank you!
Old 06-09-2014, 08:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post

Well said.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:33 PM

I did not mean to imply that there is any expectation but I believe that, as I said, common sense should dictate each person's behavior.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edjkoz View Post
I did not mean to imply that there is any expectation but I believe that, as I said, common sense should dictate each person's behavior.
Fair enough, Edjkoz. My guess is, though, that your last sentence in your first post will be the case, and people will end up having to go to the rec director.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:03 PM

You know, this is definitely THE problem in TV. I am not just talking about the pools, I am talking about everything. When people buy their houses here, they are very aware of the rules, regulations, or suggestions for all aspects of life here. They all agree to abide by these rules. But once they are moved in, things change, and everyone wants to interpret the rules to match their wants and needs. The powers in TV try not to make downright orders for everything, hopeing that people will do the right thing and abide by TV's rules or suggestions. The papers say "no saving seats", and the people say--"they don't mean me, or I'm going to do what I want" The papers say"no scooters on the MMP", and the people say "they don't mean me-I am going to do what I want". The pool rules say or suggest that all lap swimming, and organized classes should be done in the sports pools, and the people say----"they don't mean me, I am going to do what I want." I could go on, but that;s enough. There are 100K people here, and if everyone does what they think ok, then everyone starts stepping on the other people's rights. If that happens, the powers might have to get downright demanding, and impose restrictions none of us want, just to protect the rights of all. Just my opinion.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT2TV View Post
You know, this is definitely THE problem in TV. I am not just talking about the pools, I am talking about everything. When people buy their houses here, they are very aware of the rules, regulations, or suggestions for all aspects of life here. They all agree to abide by these rules. But once they are moved in, things change, and everyone wants to interpret the rules to match their wants and needs. The powers in TV try not to make downright orders for everything, hopeing that people will do the right thing and abide by TV's rules or suggestions. The papers say "no saving seats", and the people say--"they don't mean me, or I'm going to do what I want" The papers say"no scooters on the MMP", and the people say "they don't mean me-I am going to do what I want". The pool rules say or suggest that all lap swimming, and organized classes should be done in the sports pools, and the people say----"they don't mean me, I am going to do what I want." I could go on, but that;s enough. There are 100K people here, and if everyone does what they think ok, then everyone starts stepping on the other people's rights. If that happens, the powers might have to get downright demanding, and impose restrictions none of us want, just to protect the rights of all. Just my opinion.
I agree with you, but I also think at least half of the onus is on TV to enforce the rules it has set up to begin with. They want to keep everyone happy, but really, they are only keeping the rule breakers happy with their no-enforcement-without-loud-complaint policy.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT2TV View Post
This is a big problem in all of our society--"I'm entitled to do what I please, and the rest be damned." Kids are being raised on that disrespect for others.

Fortunately most people in TV were raised to have respect for other people and for rules that are meant to promote an orderly community.

When people hog the neighborhood pools to do group water walking, etc., they need to be told to clear out and go to the sport pools' open water areas (not lap swim lanes).

The Rec Dept. is in charge of keeping order at these pools. One resident cannot be expected to confront a group of bullies and give them the boot. Rec dept. employees need to step up and enforce the rules.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
This is a big problem in all of our society--"I'm entitled to do what I please, and the rest be damned." Kids are being raised on that disrespect for others.

Fortunately most people in TV were raised to have respect for other people and for rules that are meant to promote an orderly community.

When people hog the neighborhood pools to do group water walking, etc., they need to be told to clear out and go to the sport pools' open water areas (not lap swim lanes).

The Rec Dept. is in charge of keeping order at these pools. One resident cannot be expected to confront a group of bullies and give them the boot. Rec dept. employees need to step up and enforce the rules.

Hear hear.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
Isn't there a phone at every pool?
The Sports pools are for exercise classes.
The Adult pools are for swimming and relaxation.
Individuals shouldn't be expected to confront a group of walkers or exercisers that are monopolizing the Adult pool.
I'd think the pool phone would be a good way to contact the "powers that be", if people aren't willing to share the pool.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.