Water System recommendations

Closed Thread
Old 09-04-2015, 09:26 AM
Sage

Softwater is essentially 0 grains per gallon. This is what a water softener produces. The water in The Villages is actually quite hard at 12-13 grains per gallon. You cannot filter out the calcium and magnesium ions that causes hardwater unless you are talking about a Reverse Osmosis System and you would find a system capable of filtering all of the water in your house to be very costly. You need a water softener if you want softwater as it performs an ion exchange.

Here is a table to look at:

https://www.fcwa.org/water/hardness.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-flyer View Post
???? All of the hardness charts I've seen list soft water as <2gpg, and hard water at 7-10gpg. That said, does the filtration systems mentioned in this thread filter out the calcium/magnesium salts that cause the white deposits around your shower head nozzles?

Last edited by biker1; 09-04-2015 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
The water in The Villages is actually quite hard at 12-13 grains per gallon.
I'm going to disagree as I said the water company says it's 9.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-flyer View Post
???? All of the hardness charts I've seen list soft water as <2gpg, and hard water at 7-10gpg. That said, does the filtration systems mentioned in this thread filter out the calcium/magnesium salts that cause the white deposits around your shower head nozzles?
No, but not all those deposits are caused by calcium/magnesium the particulate matter found in the water is a contributing factor.

Folks have posted here and I see myself those deposits are reduced significantly.

I use CLR twice a year on the faucets/shower heads.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:40 AM
Sage

At my house it is 12-13 grains per gallon, the precision is +/- 1 grain per gallon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
I'm going to disagree as I said the water company says it's 9.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:21 AM
Veteran member

I have to tell you we have the Pegasus whole house water filtration system. Admittedly, it is pricier than what I've seen others quote on here, but I am on my 3rd year and have absolutely no regrets. I even had a washer repairman out that said its the best thing for the appliances also. My dishwasher still looks brand new, all my faucets are still clean and shiny, my tiles in the showers still look new, and I don't have to listen to my husband complain about the taste of EVERYTHING because of the water. My dishes are cleaner than ever, and I use less laundry detergent and softener. Know that I didn't want this system, my husband did. Water is water to me. We went away, a storm flipped the breaker and the unit wasn't on for a few days. When we came home he immediately realized the taste of the water was off, and that's how we found the flipped switch.Anyhow...if interested in even just getting a quote, call Robert Flink 352-748-7873.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:31 AM
Sage

I have a number of neighbors with those systems. They are a "hybrid water softener". This is a water softener with redox material to remove chlorine. So, you get softwater (0 grains per gallon) with the chlorine removed. I went a different route with a Water Boss system but the Pegasus systems look to be very effective and my neighbors like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovey2 View Post
I have to tell you we have the Pegasus whole house water filtration system. Admittedly, it is pricier than what I've seen others quote on here, but I am on my 3rd year and have absolutely no regrets. I even had a washer repairman out that said its the best thing for the appliances also. My dishwasher still looks brand new, all my faucets are still clean and shiny, my tiles in the showers still look new, and I don't have to listen to my husband complain about the taste of EVERYTHING because of the water. My dishes are cleaner than ever, and I use less laundry detergent and softener. Know that I didn't want this system, my husband did. Water is water to me. We went away, a storm flipped the breaker and the unit wasn't on for a few days. When we came home he immediately realized the taste of the water was off, and that's how we found the flipped switch.Anyhow...if interested in even just getting a quote, call Robert Flink 352-748-7873.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
No, but not all those deposits are caused by calcium/magnesium the particulate matter found in the water is a contributing factor.

Folks have posted here and I see myself those deposits are reduced significantly.

I use CLR twice a year on the faucets/shower heads.
Ditto on the CLR.
--
bc
Closed Thread

Tags
water, door, recommendations, system, solicited, shower, prefer, villages, kat, fellow, stains, input, person, wondering, filter, house, soften, sick, rust, minerals, remove, colored

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.