Weeds

Closed Thread
Old 07-29-2015, 03:50 PM
Default Weeds

I know this might not be the best place to write this, but I'm having terrible trouble with weeds, iv been to tractor supplies and got an industrial strength one but still doesn't work, the ones in Home Depot and lowes did nothing, if anyone knows of any product to kill weeds, could you pls help as I like doing my own yard...thanks
Old 07-30-2015, 07:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Round up kills everything except Bermuda Grass; use weed b gone; used it in KC with great results and have used it here also with great results.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:57 PM
Sage

It is a great question.

When I got back from my trip I was greeted with weeds. I tried an experiment. I pulled all the ones in the front including a lot of zoysiagrass. It took a long time but now it looks great.

On the side of the house I sprayed round-up in a couple of minutes. This was a few days ago and it doesn't look any better.

I'm anxious to learn about weeding too. It's fundamental down here.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:06 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Go to the John Deere dealership in Leesburg at 1201 Thomas Ave. Buy a quart bottle of a granular weed killer. Cost is just over $100 but it lasts forever as you only use .015 oz to a gallon of water. Also buy a bottle of blue dye to add to it so you can see which weeds you have sprayed. The weeds die after a couple of days never to return.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Go to the John Deere dealership in Leesburg at 1201 Thomas Ave. Buy a quart bottle of a granular weed killer. Cost is just over $100 but it lasts forever as you only use .015 oz to a gallon of water. Also buy a bottle of blue dye to add to it so you can see which weeds you have sprayed. The weeds die after a couple of days never to return.
A quart makes over 2,000 gallons? How do you measure .015 ounces?
Please know that I am not trying to be a smart alek. I'm sure they mostly sell to farmers so maybe that's not such a big amount but it sure sounds potent.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:24 PM
Sage

My recommendation would be to pull all of the weeds first then put down granular Preen. You can buy 16 lb. of it on Amazon.com for $26.00. It is a weed preventer not a weed killer. You can sprinkle it into your stones as well. If you are unsure about it go to Amazon and search for it then read some of the reviews at the bottom of the page.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
My recommendation would be to pull all of the weeds first then put down granular Preen. You can buy 16 lb. of it on Amazon.com for $26.00. It is a weed preventer not a weed killer. You can sprinkle it into your stones as well. If you are unsure about it go to Amazon and search for it then read some of the reviews at the bottom of the page.
16lbs Provides 2,560 sq. ft. of coverage

If my rough math is correct I think I could use this 8 times for my small designer. I only have a few bushes on the side and a bit more out front.

Does that seem right to you? I lent my friend my spreader. I think it can be set up to shoot to the side. Is that what you do?
Old 07-29-2015, 04:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
16lbs Provides 2,560 sq. ft. of coverage

If my rough math is correct I think I could use this 8 times for my small designer. I only have a few bushes on the side and a bit more out front.

Does that seem right to you? I lent my friend my spreader. I think it can be set up to shoot to the side. Is that what you do?
I don't think you put it in a spreader. The bottles of it come in a shaker like a salt shaker. You can buy a pretty big bottle of it for $12.99 if you don't need that much. If you'll read the reviews on Amazon you'll learn about it.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:00 PM
Veteran member

I spray my weeds with 1 gallon of white vinegar, 1/2 cup blue dawn detergent and 1/2 cup of Epsom salt. . This stuff kills anything you spray it on and it's non toxic to pets. During the rainey season I spray every other week, dry season once a month seems to work. We have a CYV so each spraying take about 30 minutes.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:03 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

There is a measuring device at the top of the bottle so pretty easy to do. This stuff works on weeds in your lawn as well because it doesn't kill grass. And by using the dye you can do a walk over on your lawn and see which weeds you have addressed. The dye washes off during the next rain. I bought a resale that had more weeds than grass on the lawn. By using this weed killer I have now got a decent lawn. I had to go over it a dozen times every three or 4 days just hitting the weeds. But it works and works very well.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:29 PM
Sage

I was under the impression PREEN is for beds not lawns - could be wrong.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
My recommendation for Preen was for beds. I know nothing about what to put on the lawn.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Preen has historically been for beds, but I think they recently came out with a product for lawns.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:37 PM
Platinum member
Default Celcius for warm weather weed control

One thing sold for warm weather weed control on lawns is a product called
Celcius. John Deer will have it and also any online lawn and pest control supplier. It is a granule you mix with water and spray. It is considered an agency item so you won't find it in home depot or lowes. This time of year you have to be careful because of the heat and make sure the weed spray is okay for grasses. You can buy most professional weed and pest control items through a company online in the Atlanta area with reasonable prices. Sorry but the name escapes me. Most local profession distributors like Forshaw and Univar require you to have a license to purchase.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:00 PM

Thank you sooooo much, I will try that ....
Closed Thread

Tags
weeds, depot, home, lowes, product, yard, pls, kill, write, terrible, trouble, place, strength, work, industrial, tractor, supplies

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.