West facing rear of house

Closed Thread
Old 07-19-2014, 06:42 AM
Veteran member

I installed the Cooleroos in the patio and had the windows tinted. Btw, those Cooleroos don't get dirty. I guess the rain keeps the dirt off them since they're porous.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:24 AM
Veteran member

I would think that a west facing lanai and back of the house would be the ideal setting if you have a pool or intend to install a pool. Shades, window tints are great solutions to make the very sunny times of the day more enjoyable.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:36 PM
Default West facing rear of house

We also have a west facing back. The sun is not too hot for me, but we put in a 25' long pool and the water is spectacular. The cage that we put in also keeps it a bit cooler and it prevents the terrible burn that you would get stepping outside. There are no regrets here. Also, the morning is spectacular as we'll and that is my husband's favorite time in the pool.

Last edited by greenhillsgirl; 07-19-2014 at 02:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-19-2014, 03:06 PM
Platinum member

Thank you, everyone!

We just looked at another home that has the same floor plan, pool and view, but the rear faces North. After reading all of your replies, I am feeling that the West rear would be the best. A good thing, because it is by far the prettiest home.
Funny how the same floor plan can look so entirely different than another of the same plan.

Haven't made the offer yet, but certainly getting closer.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:02 AM
Veteran member

Make sure your front yard plants can handle full sun for most of the day. I think east/west exposure is best for landscape.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:16 PM
Platinum member
Default Coolaroos

We had coolaroos installed this week and love them. We get the afternoon west sun and the coolaroos eliminate the extreme glare and provide some privacy as well as making it a little cooler. Along with the fan on medium, we are able to eat dinners on the lanai again.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

We have a big sun room which is all glass. We have all three exposures. East in the morning - which is great all year. North in the back - which is really cold in the winter, I have lost plants due to the cold. West during the late afternoon - and it is hot. I have had readings of 110 degrees on the patio. We have interior blinds and an exterior canvas blind on the West side which works extremely well. We find it is definitely too hot to cook outside on the West side. Several years ago we planted a White Natchez Crape Myrtle on the West side and it is now big enough to give us some good shade over the west side of the house.

I don't have a pool, but I would think that a pool on the north side of the home would be useless for several months of the year. But, whatever home you purchase you will find a way to live in comfort and you will absolutely love it here!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 07-20-2014, 04:49 PM
Sage

Years ago I had a pool home in Deerfield Beach, Fl. with the pool facing west. The afternoon sun kept the pool water temp. warm and most parties or get-togethers were in the afternoon when people looked forward to the sun. It was screened in which blocks I'm told 40% of the sun so it was nice to have the sun all afternoon to heat the pool which didn't have a heater. Otherwise we would have to wait a month or more to use the pool in the spring. I had an area of my pool deck under aluminum roof with a roll down blind to block the late afternoon sun if wanted. I wouldn't make a west facing pool a deal breaker.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:12 PM

We love our west facing lanai! Morning coffee all year round...we do have blinds for hot days... and are considering the shades Gracie has mentioned... so we can enjoy the lanai the warmer evenings... we have friends with east facing... and she prefers ours!
Old 07-22-2014, 02:33 PM

Regarding the cooleroo's. I googled them and noticed they are priced from the 60-250 dollar range! What's the difference, if you know? And do they make the room dark? Can you see through them from the inside? Thanks!!
Old 07-22-2014, 04:04 PM
Gold member

A few well placed trees could provide shade to allow use of the patio in the hotter months. It will be almost impossible to sit outside in the direct sun in the late afternoon without some sort of sun blocker.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:15 AM
Platinum member

Another thought….. Most lanai screening provides 20% shade- but there is replacement screening that will provide more, say 50%. We are going to do that overhead on our birdcage, perhaps one wall of your birdcage would benefit from that. I don't believe it will hurt the view of the sunsets.
I love the Coolaroo-type sun sail shades!
Triangles, rectangles, they are suspend overhead at the corners by cables, like a hammock would be.
I have seen some gorgeous applications, functional and highly decorative at the same time.

P.S. Wait until you are in the pool at sunset- and the water around you is the color of the sky- it will take your breath away.
Are you packed yet????? HA!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.