What to do if you see a dog with a yellow ribbon on its leash

Closed Thread
Old 11-26-2014, 08:32 PM
Default What to do if you see a dog with a yellow ribbon on its leash

Anyone who has ever had an unsocial or elderly dog is going to love The Yellow Dog Project, a global movement for parents of dogs that need space. The concept behind it is quite simple. If you see a dog with a yellow ribbon or other items tied to its leash, that signifies a dog who needs space and you should not attempt to pet the dog or bring your own dog over for a greeting.

The Yellow Dog Project has now made its mark in 45 countries and educational materials have been translated into 12 languages. Fans are calling it, “Brilliant” and “The best thing to happen since the invention of the leash!”
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	2982880.large.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	46299  
Old 11-26-2014, 08:42 PM
Veteran member

We did something similar at the greyhound events I used to attend, except we had the dogs that needed space wear a red bandana. Everyone knew it meant 'keep away, I need space" and it solved the problem nicely. Not every dog likes to make friends with other dogs or people. My dogs do like other dogs, but when I am walking them I don't appreciate people letting their dogs loose to come up and greet my dogs without asking. This has happened more times than you can imagine. I am walking my dogs on a leash and suddenly one or two unleashed small dogs will charge up to them (usually barking) and a clueless owner will say something like, "Oh, they just want to make friends" or something like that. My dogs are well trained and well behaved but it would be almost impossible for this not to cause some reaction from them. I could get behind putting a yellow ribbon on my dogs if it would help people think first.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:53 PM

My Winston will be the first in The Villages with a yellow ribbon. It is so funny how people think that he just wants to "say hi" to their dog even though he is growling, barking and acting as vicious possible.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I have some concern over this for we very often tie colored bags ( from yellow to red or blue etc) on the leash when we go for a walk...just in case.

Not certain it is widely known or moreso accepted that a yellow bow (bag) on the leash means something!! Been dog owners for a long time and first I heard of this!
Old 11-26-2014, 11:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARENNN View Post
My Winston will be the first in The Villages with a yellow ribbon.
Good for you Karen. I think it's a great idea and I hope the Daily Sun publicizes the idea.
I have a 14 year old dog who is deaf and has serious cataracts.
He certainly is not at all vicious, and he loves to go for walks.
But dogs and people can startle him because he can't hear them approach.
A yellow ribbon can be a good idea for many unique circumstances.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:29 AM
Veteran member
Default yellow ribbon

I saw this in the villages about 2 years ago. I asked the gentleman owner what it was for.
Since then my border collie Jake has worn a yellow bandana for his walks. He is a lovely old boy, but only likes his family. Luckily, everyone here knows what it means
Old 11-27-2014, 05:04 AM

I LOVE this! We have a dear old girl.. and would rather not have to explain to everyone that comes near us while we are walking that she really just loves her family.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:05 AM
Sage

I think it's a splendid idea. In my history of 7 dogs, there were two that would have worn the "badge" One was a dachshund who liked some other dogs but not many. The other was an elderly standard poodle who had gone blind and deaf and was easily startled. The other five were OK with everybody. You can't tell by looking at the dog!
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 11-27-2014, 07:20 AM
Sage

Call me crazy, but to me the need for the yellow ribbon would indicate the need for the owner to keep the critter away from situations that might involve social contact out of consideration for those that might not read TOTV. Common sense ??
Old 11-27-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Call me crazy, but to me the need for the yellow ribbon would indicate the need for the owner to keep the critter away from situations that might involve social contact out of consideration for those that might not read TOTV. Common sense ??
Short of moving to a deserted island, this is not always possible
Old 11-27-2014, 07:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Yellow Ribbon

Quote:
The problem is the people walking their dog on a flexi lead and let the lead out so their dog can greet my dogs. I have repeatedly told people my dogs do not like other dogs in their face. Their response is their dog is friendly.
The yellow ribbon is gaining popularity throughout the United States and other countries.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Good color too as how many people cannot see the color yellow? Color blindness does not seem to affect this color that much.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:55 AM

I think this is an excellent idea. My dog loves to meet other dogs but it would be very helpful to know in advance which dogs do not want interaction. My previous dog would have worn a bright yellow ribbon although she loved people and was fine off leash, but aggressive towards other dogs on leash. As far as the comment about "avoiding social situations" for a yellow ribbon dog, it's not easy when walking the dog in the neighborhood without seeing other people and dogs, so the yellow ribbon is an excellent solution.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Actually, "common sense" would be for people to ask permission from a dog's owner before approaching or letting their dog approach another strange dog. Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen. Just because a dog doesn't respond well to strange people/dogs suddenly getting "in their face", doesn't mean that the dogs shouldn't be allowed to take a walk. I think the yellow ribbon is a great idea. It is a visible reminder for people who might otherwise not remember to follow proper meet & greet etiquette.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

I have put something on my Facebook page about the yellow ribbon for dogs that need space. Looks like this is an idea started in Sweden?http://gulahund.se/
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.