What to do if you see a dog with a yellow ribbon on its leash

Closed Thread
Old 11-27-2014, 09:26 AM

Great idea, my little guy loves people, other animals not so much.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:40 AM
Platinum member

Sounds like a great idea for Service and Therapy dogs.
They certainly don't need distractions while working at assisting humans.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 11-27-2014, 10:02 AM

Gives new meaning to Old Yeller. . .

This is a great idea.

I always ask the owner if it is OK to pet the dog. But not everybody does that.

And, hey, grumpy and/or deaf dogs like walks, too, and not all dogs want to politely sniff butts with other dogs. (I am reminded of an old Far Side cartoon where a puppy is getting into trouble with the mama dog for having bad manners when he did not politely sniff butts when being introduced to his parents' friends.)
Old 11-27-2014, 10:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
.... to me the need for the yellow ribbon would indicate the need for the owner to keep the critter away from situations that might involve social contact out of consideration for those that might not read TOTV.
It's an international program, not just for readers of TOTV. I think it's a great idea.
As Tal pointed out, the program began in Sweden. Gulahund Yellowdog – SOME DOGS NEED SPACE. The ORIGINAL program's international website | Gulahund
Hopefully the idea will spread with more publicity.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:00 AM
Veteran member
Default yellow ribbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Call me crazy, but to me the need for the yellow ribbon would indicate the need for the owner to keep the critter away from situations that might involve social contact out of consideration for those that might not read TOTV. Common sense ??
Well, where do you suggest one exercises ones dogs??
I do not live in the villages, so am lucky to be able to walk my dogs along the beach, out of tourist season, or on the heathland near where I live or also in one of the many forests near where I live. But, never ever have I NOT seen any other people when we are out walking! We all respect each others space, and I do think it is good idea to give folks a heads up about a grumpy old dog, don't you??
Old 11-28-2014, 09:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

I like the yellow ribbon idea; it makes a lot of sense. May not be a bad idea for grumpy two leggers also. [emoji6]
Old 11-28-2014, 09:11 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
I like the yellow ribbon idea; it makes a lot of sense. May not be a bad idea for grumpy two leggers also. [emoji6]
Hey!
I have mornings like that.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 11-28-2014, 11:50 AM

This is a great idea. My dog is very friendly, except for when you put him on a leash. Then he becomes protective. I am always afraid a child will run up and want to pet him. So far, I have managed to block those attempts. I will be buying a yellow ribbon for Eli. My other dog, Angel, loves everything and everyone.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:12 PM
Veteran member

So if I put one on my yard light will they stay off my lawn?
Old 11-28-2014, 01:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruannB View Post
My dog is very friendly, except for when you put him on a leash. Then he becomes protective.

Yes, many dogs are like that when they are leashed. It has to do with the "flight or fight response" that naturally kicks in when they are startled or feel threatened. Since the leash takes away their "flight" options, the "fight" response may be their only (to them) choice. Not unlike being backed into a corner or feeling the need to stay and protect their humans, puppies, etc. It is quite common and it doesn't mean that the dog is mean or aggressive. It is just how some dogs react to stress or perceived threats when they are on leash.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:18 PM
Veteran member

Great idea.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:31 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsthosebigdogs View Post
We did something similar at the greyhound events I used to attend, except we had the dogs that needed space wear a red bandana. Everyone knew it meant 'keep away, I need space" and it solved the problem nicely. Not every dog likes to make friends with other dogs or people. My dogs do like other dogs, but when I am walking them I don't appreciate people letting their dogs loose to come up and greet my dogs without asking. This has happened more times than you can imagine. I am walking my dogs on a leash and suddenly one or two unleashed small dogs will charge up to them (usually barking) and a clueless owner will say something like, "Oh, they just want to make friends" or something like that. My dogs are well trained and well behaved but it would be almost impossible for this not to cause some reaction from them. I could get behind putting a yellow ribbon on my dogs if it would help people think first.
That's exactly why I wear a red bandana. What a coincidence
Old 11-28-2014, 05:29 PM
Sage

My dog is extremely friendly to people and other animals at all times. He obeys an invisible fence around our yard that he obeys at at all times. How do I keep him safe from the aggressive dogs on lead, especially those whose owners think our corner lot yard is wide open.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
My dog is extremely friendly to people and other animals at all times. He obeys an invisible fence around our yard that he obeys at at all times. How do I keep him safe from the aggressive dogs on lead, especially those whose owners think our corner lot yard is wide open.
I think the only thing you can do is not allow your dog to be outside for any amount of time by himself.

We have a situation in our neighborhood where a couple of small, very nasty dogs have attacked our big lug while we were out for a walk. Every time we see them. We don't walk that way anymore.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I think the only thing you can do is not allow your dog to be outside for any amount of time by himself.

We have a situation in our neighborhood where a couple of small, very nasty dogs have attacked our big lug while we were out for a walk. Every time we see them. We don't walk that way anymore.

Good advice. Thanks.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.