What do you like least about the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 04-15-2007, 09:18 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: What do you like least about the Villages

Sounds like they're using the politically correct approach, please don't offend anybody, please!!!!! I've worked at several golf courses and the players all respected the rangers/ambassadors efforts to keep the game moving. Nobody wants a 5 hour plus round because a group doesn't have any idea what the protocol is on a course. I once had a single golfer holding up a foursome! The offenders usually accept the request from the ranger to get moving because they know they're falling behind. For those who take offense to that, they don't belong on the course. The course management should much rather have one upset group than the twenty behind them. I'm very surprised that the Villages courses would take the tiptoe around them approach. Why flags? Talk to the offenders.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:36 AM

It took awhile, since there's very little not to like, but it dawned on me that something I've griped about ever since arriving is the lack of concern about recycling. We do recycle nearly everything, but it means frequent trips to the recycle center in Weirsdale (Marion County residents only). Phone books? Not even the recycle center will accept them. (This strikes me as ironic in that The Villages Daily Sun had a feature photo of a campaign to recycle phone books a month or so ago.)

Aluminum cans -- easy. Newspapers -- not too difficult. Glass, plastic, non-aluminum cans, non-newspaper paper -- it seems a crime to send it all off to landfill or wherever our trash goes.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:59 AM

Oh thanks for bringing that up, here's my chance to vent. Drivers of automobiles who are TOO LAZY TO RAISE OR LOWER THEIR HAND TO USE THEIR FLIPPIN TURN SIGNALS... DUH, IT REALLY DOESN'T REQUIRE EXCESS ENERGY. THANK YOU. :dontknow:
Old 04-16-2007, 10:19 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie
Oh thanks for bringing that up, here's my chance to vent. Drivers of automobiles who are TOO LAZY TO RAISE OR LOWER THEIR HAND TO USE THEIR FLIPPIN TURN SIGNALS... DUH, IT REALLY DOESN'T REQUIRE EXCESS ENERGY. THANK YOU. :dontknow:
Kathie,
You have hit the nail on the head. Not only are they lazy, but if they don't signal their intentions, they could kill somebody. I'm sure they don't want to do that.

JLK
Old 04-16-2007, 05:50 PM

I think the trash pickup, and lack of re-cycling here is a little disturbing. It seems so backwards, and behind-the-times. I am pretty sure that most of us were accustomed to putting our trash and different types of recyclable items into separate containers before moving here, for the past several years -- newspapers, cardboard, different types of plastic, etc, etc...

When I moved here, and attended orientation, I was told that our trash all gets taken to the prison, and is picked through and separated by the prisoners! I was pretty surprised, and of course always make sure I use my shredder diligently for anything that has my name or any type of ID or info that could be stolen and used by a prisoner, or sent to their friends on the outside! I've mentioned this to a few people here, and some of them weren't aware that this was where our trash goes. (I guess The Villages orientation isn't standardized!)

I think it is ridiculous to have prisoners do our recycling for us, when we could do it ourselves. They should have the prisoners do something more meaningful, useful, or more needed.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:28 PM

The circles and bad drivers.
People who insist in going aroound the circles in the inner lane and then cutting you off as they turn right in front of you while you are continuing around the circle in the outer lane. All in all the drivers of cars are terrible; and the cart drivers are generally worse.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:28 PM

I agree with the complaint about the drivers who refuse to use turn signals...I get the feeling that most of them are so dumb that they do not know what they are or what they are for....there would be a heck of a lot less accidents if these jerks would signal their intentions :dontknow:javascript:void(0);
Old 04-22-2007, 03:58 PM
Veteran member

Tomahawk: I wouldn't say dumb. I would say lazy....very lazy AND inconsiderate.
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 04-25-2007, 11:58 AM

The thing I like least about the Villages is the terrible condition of the cart paths on north side of 466. They are so cracked and bumpy and jarring. Also, they're too narrow.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Veteran member

gingersmom:

Sounds like what you need is one of those jacked-up "Hummer" golf carts I've seen. Opt for the nitrogen-shock absorbers, 15 inch wheels and...... don't forget about the "Rhino" cage for those "close-calls". Ahhhh but I agree.....the better solution would have The Villages invest a little on the forgotten north-side. Things have been going to seed a little bit.
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 04-29-2007, 03:47 PM

Kathleen:

I very much dislike renters. We live here, they don't and act like they are in a resort. Renters are usually accompanied by little forever "yipping" dogs. There are so many homes in the Villages that are rented. I am so happy to see the really hot weather come so that renters go away.
I also very much dislike loud, screaming kids in a pool. I thought we had moved to a retirement community not Disneyland.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:08 PM

We always go to the "Family Pools" because we enjoy seeing the young ones playing. We get really tired of seeing "flabby old farts" all the time. That's one of the things I dislike about The Villages...there's a lot of "old" people. Not that I'm any "spring chicken"...having just turned 60, but I really enjoy seeing the young people that are here visiting. The other thing I really dislike is the ranch houses neighborhoods...one of which I live in...all the houses look the same and there is no originality with any of them. I really think the developers could have opted for some different facades on the ranches...to give each neighborhood a more "distinct" look. I also have to agree with one of the other posts that the houses are just crammed in and that only adds to the "tackiness" of the neighborhoods. A lot of the streets remind me of a post WW II era housing development.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandt
If you were embarrassed, that would be totally your problem! One of the greatest things here is that people are able to pursue activities that they might not be able to elsewhere. What's wrong with giggles and shakes? Maybe it hits too close to home! Some activities, surely, are things I would not consider but that doesn't mean others should not, and it certainly doesn't embarrass me.

And by the way, some of us enjoy being kids -- at least at heart!
I agree whole heartedly!!! There are what??? 1500 clubs/organizations in the villages??? Something for EVERYONE!!! True I cannot see myself twirling a baton (although I did it in Highschool) or dressing in Red and Purple for a Red Hat event (not my colors) I do truly enjoy watching all the different groups perform. I'm not a clogger, but those ladies really step out!! Belly Dancing?? Not with this Belly!! :-) But I like to see those ladies having so much fun. And as for the giggles and Shakes...Bite your tongue!!! If you haven't participated, then you haven't a clue what the group is all about, and I bet a nickle you couldn't keep up! That is a great way to get out, have fun and get in shape and healthy. Embarrassed?? not on your life? and I bet your Naples frineds weren't either. If they were then shame on them too!
Old 05-15-2007, 04:29 PM

What did you expect from a retirement community,at 60 years old(my personal opinion is that you possibly think you are a youngster yourself) you are not a spring chicken,Secondly you saw the homes and the lay out at the Villages,if you did not like it ,you should have bought somewhere else,and the reason for the small lots are that elderly people do not want to be burdoned with cutting grass and other out door maintenance. We would rather spend our time playing golf and enjoying other activities. If you are so unhappy you should probably leave.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:53 PM

The lack of full-time jobs that will allow me to stay here! I'm not retired and it is expensive to live here. Most business act like it is a "privilege" for me to work for them and that I'm working for a hobby. It is demeaning to be offered 1982 wages for 25 years worth of experience. The Villages HR are dictatorial and rude most of the time. I feel jobs in the Villages should go to Villages residents first and outsiders second.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.