Direct TV and Phone Internet

Closed Thread
Old 08-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Default Direct TV and Phone Internet

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I understand from Direct Satellite TV they provide internet from Century link phone service. Can anyone comment on the internet quality/speed from Century phone service? Thanks need to make a decision soon.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Veteran member

I have century link for my internet and phone and just had direct tv installed and have no problems with either the phone, internet or tv. I find the internet quite fast.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:26 AM
Gold member
Default me, too

In Ohio, we have AT & T Uverse cable and internet (stepson pays for it since he lives here year-round), Directv and Century Link DSL for internet in TV. I don't notice any difference.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:31 AM

You need to check with CenturyLink - we signed up last year with DirecTV on a two-year contract as their package (at Best Buy) claimed they were linked with CenturyLink and we would get a bundled discount for internet, but when we went to CenturylLink to complete that part of the sign-up they said they had switched affiliation to Dish.

I complained to DirecTV and they credited me with the discount, but maybe only because the switch was recent.

CenturyLink has also more-than-doubled prices on us. Initially we paid around $16 per month for internet when we were here, and $3 on vacation plan. Now they charge $31 while here and $17 on vacation plan. It may be that we were receiving the wrong rates initially, but still a bit of a shock.

They also made it harder to go on and come off vacation. We used to just go on the website and click on a button. Now we have to call. Not a major gripe, but it all adds up.

For telephone we use MagicJack with which we are very pleased.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:47 AM
Gold member
Default Depends who you talk to

We have our internet on vacation for $0 from CenturyLink, and DirecTV for $0, about $16 for basic landline - it's only about $26 when not on vacation.

I think DirecTV just extends the 2 year contract, there was no problem putting on vacation.

At CenturyLink I was first told could only put the phone on vacation, not the internet. When I asked how much to reconnect if I just discontinued it, I was told $15 and transferred to the person who tries to keep your business.

I finally got the promised $5 bundled discount, but it wasn't easy. I kept being told it had to be done from the other end (either CenturyLink or DirecTV). Persistence paid off (I think - the bills are difficult to comprehend, probably on purpose). We just switched from Comcast to DirecTV last November.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I called Directv before we left Baltimore to tell them we were moving just like they tell you in their commercials. When I told them my new zip code they said we'll transfer you to the bundle department. Bundle said I would get $5 off my Directv, I thought I rather speak with Century Link directly when I arrive and declined the offer.

In July we went to Century Link on 441/27 by Longhorn Steaks. Told them I wanted internet and home phone and that I was getting Directv shortly. They said I would get $5 off my Directv bill, OK that's nice but not great. They said I could get internet 768 bps for $14.99 or 1.5 speed for $19.99 and my phone would be $39.98 with unlimited long distance, call waiting and caller ID. I said I have a cell phone and only wanted a basic phone with no long distance. I said in Maryland I had a basic Verizon phone for $21 a month. They said, if I did that then they would have to charge me more for the internet.

So I took the 1.5 internet and home phone with long distance and they said it would be $59.98 or about $75 a month with tax.

So far phone service and internet has been really good, Directv is no different than I had in Maryland except for the local channels. I have added NFL Sunday Ticket.

My first bill arrived last week and it was $202, I immediately called the customer service number when I noticed my basic plan was $77 and not $59. They said the first month has a lot of extra fees, installation charges and you're billed 1 plus months. I told him it was still too high and I had a plan that was suppose to be $59.99, he said they didn't have any plans for $59.99. He said, I'm in Orlando but I'll transfer you to the 'save desk' in Charlotte but you didn't hear that from me.

While this was going on I opened their website and saw a plan for $54.99 that had 3.0 speed and the same phone service. When I spoke to the guy in Charlotte, he said wait a minute, there are a lot of extras on here and he cut my first bill to $102. Then he said, you want the $54.99 plan, I said yes, he said I'll give you that and change your internet to 10.0 speed. On Monday my internet went up to 10.0, I haven't received my second bill but he said with the $7 subscriber line fee and tax it should be about $70.

That's my experience in the first month with Century Link. So be careful with what they tell you at the sales center and make sure your bill is what they say. However, in their defense they do make adjustments rather quickly.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:37 PM
Gold member

We have direct tv and century link for phone and internet. We got the $5 discount with no problems and we have the extra fast internet, which cost $10 more a month. We got great deal on direct tv for $34.99 for 200 something channels and 9 extra movie channels. HBO, SHowtime, Starz and Cinemax free for 3 months. Free NFL for one year. We have 4 hookups, 1 dvr box, 1 dvr receiver and 2 regular hd receivers. Free HD with autopay. We got this last month. It is for one or two years, don't remember. Our internet is faster then our satellite hookup was back home. We are very happy with the service.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
We have our internet on vacation for $0 from CenturyLink, and DirecTV for $0, about $16 for basic landline - it's only about $26 when not on vacation.
I went into CenturyLink at Rolling Acres today, posing as a potential new customer, and they quoted me $29.99 per month for the basic internet, increasing to $49.99 after one year.

Sounds like I need to telephone their Customer Service and negotiate a sweet deal by threatening to cancel my service.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydoc View Post
We have direct tv and century link for phone and internet. We got the $5 discount with no problems and we have the extra fast internet, which cost $10 more a month. We got great deal on direct tv for $34.99 for 200 something channels and 9 extra movie channels. HBO, SHowtime, Starz and Cinemax free for 3 months. Free NFL for one year. We have 4 hookups, 1 dvr box, 1 dvr receiver and 2 regular hd receivers. Free HD with autopay. We got this last month. It is for one or two years, don't remember. Our internet is faster then our satellite hookup was back home. We are very happy with the service.
Note to self;

Go to Ladydoc house for Sunday football...
Old 08-19-2011, 04:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermuda View Post
I went into CenturyLink at Rolling Acres today, posing as a potential new customer, and they quoted me $29.99 per month for the basic internet, increasing to $49.99 after one year. Sounds like I need to telephone their Customer Service and negotiate a sweet deal by threatening to cancel my service.
That's another point of contention. The guy in Charlotte told me my 10.0 internet and telephone for $54.99 a month was locked in for life, so I know that is negotiable.

Quote:
We have direct tv and century link for phone and internet. We got the $5 discount with no problems and we have the extra fast internet, which cost $10 more a month. We got great deal on direct tv for $34.99 for 200 something channels and 9 extra movie channels. HBO, SHowtime, Starz and Cinemax free for 3 months. Free NFL for one year. We have 4 hookups, 1 dvr box, 1 dvr receiver and 2 regular hd receivers...
For new customers they are giving away the moon. Also if you are moving and call ahead and take your equipment with you they will give you NFL Sunday Ticket for free. Unfortunately I've been with Directv since 2008 and finished my move just before the lockout ended. So I called and complained and said I've been a good customer. They gave me NFL Sunday Ticket $10 off a month and knocked another $10 a month off my whole bill for 12 months. Not a great deal but better than nothing, I found it pays to complain.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Veteran member

I read some where on the Directv website that if you get free NFL ticket you must buy it for the 2nd year...

I have had the Ticket since 2000 but now I'll be watching the games from NY via my $100 Vulkano at my son's house.... Was watching the Mets but I have given up
Old 08-21-2011, 02:41 PM
Default we just got prism

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3puttharry View Post
Sorry if this has been discussed before. I understand from Direct Satellite TV they provide internet from Century link phone service. Can anyone comment on the internet quality/speed from Century phone service? Thanks need to make a decision soon.
it is the same as att u-verse but from century link, it is IPTV (internet protocol tv) so far it has been great, and we bundled it with phone and internet
Old 08-22-2011, 02:44 AM
Default modem

Thanks for all the support. Can the modem and wifi I purchased for comcast internet work on century link? If not can you hv wifi on century link? Thank you
Old 08-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3puttharry View Post
Thanks for all the support. Can the modem and wifi I purchased for comcast internet work on century link? If not can you hv wifi on century link? Thank you
Your modem for Comcast is a cable modem. CenturyLink uses a DSL modem. They are not compatible. Your wifi router for your home network should work on a DSL modem.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Sage

I'm in Tamarind Grove and my Century Link is what they call 'fiber to the curb', I have no modem. I plug my router or computer straight to the wall jack via an enthernet cord. I guess that combined with my 10.0 speed means I have about the best home setup available.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.