What is the snake population like in TV?

Closed Thread
Old 08-21-2014, 06:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I am told that if the gecko's are on your screens instead of on the ground, there is a snake nearby.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:39 AM
Veteran member

All I know is that when I finally get to my house in Collier in January, if I see a snake near me or worse in the garage, you will hear me scream in Sumpter Landing, not kidding. At least you'll know I have arrived.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:50 AM
Veteran member

I absolutely do NOT like snakes and they freak me out! Having said that, every snake thread I saw here worried me. I moved into my house 2 months ago and saw my first snake yesterday. He was very skinny and about 18" long and slithering slowly in front of my car. To my surprise it didn't really bother me. I got in my car and he went his way and I went mine. He didn't try to fling himself into the air and wrap himself around my throat and kill me (LOL) and everything was fine. I think I am over my fear of snakes as long as they were as gentlemanly as this first encounter and not a 8" diameter, 25' long python which I know I won't see.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:52 AM

Have found 2 small snakes under lanai front door last few days. I want to identify them...both were the same color,light brown,with orange markings. Ideas please , as to where to look on I pad to identify snakes in any future sightings. Thanks not afraid just curious...I am one of the few woman who actually like reptiles!
Old 08-21-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Sweeny View Post
Have found 2 small snakes under lanai front door last few days. I want to identify them...both were the same color,light brown,with orange markings. Ideas please , as to where to look on I pad to identify snakes in any future sightings. Thanks not afraid just curious...I am one of the few woman who actually like reptiles!

Need a photo.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:11 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Photo gallery of common FL snakes.
Florida Snake Photo Picture Gallery
Suffering from TV envy
Old 08-21-2014, 10:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
If you actually see a snake it probably means you have something they like to eat and when they have eaten it they will move on. I don't particularly care for them and if I unexpectedly see one, then I jump, but they are really good at eating the nasty little things we have here.

Come to think of it, I had garter snakes in NH every summer, they used to get down under the mulch in my veggie garden and scare the h*** out of me. I have to believe every State in the Union has snakes.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 08-21-2014, 10:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsthosebigdogs View Post
I absolutely do NOT like snakes and they freak me out! Having said that, every snake thread I saw here worried me. I moved into my house 2 months ago and saw my first snake yesterday. He was very skinny and about 18" long and slithering slowly in front of my car. To my surprise it didn't really bother me. I got in my car and he went his way and I went mine. He didn't try to fling himself into the air and wrap himself around my throat and kill me (LOL) and everything was fine. I think I am over my fear of snakes as long as they were as gentlemanly as this first encounter and not a 8" diameter, 25' long python which I know I won't see.
Love your very descriptive and funny post!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 08-21-2014, 06:15 PM
Gold member

I've been here for almost 2 years now and I haven't seen any. I keep my eyes on the ground when walking on the grass...not for snakes but for fire ants! I'll take a harmless snake anytime over those things!
Old 08-21-2014, 06:26 PM
Veteran member

Many years ago, I was at a AAAS meeting. Ended up riding in an elevator with (among other folks) Margaret Mead who was carrying a snake stick. Someone asked her why she was carrying a snake stick in DC. She replied "Because there are a lot of snakes here."

Not all snakes are in the grass.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:15 PM

Today I was driving home from work in the little town of Ada, Ohio, and a young man was walking down the street toward my car. First I noticed his body was covered with tattoos. Then I noticed that he had about a 12 foot yellow snake wrapped around his shoulders. It was probably 8 inches wide. Life is never boring in little Ada, Ohio. Oh, new question...how much danger are my medium sized dogs going to be in with snakes in TV?
Old 08-21-2014, 09:12 PM
Veteran member

I'd worry more about the Black Widow Spiders then the snakes.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:47 PM

OK. With Black Widow Spiders around my husband is going to want to buy himself a plastic bubble to live in. Seriously?
Old 08-22-2014, 08:01 AM
Gold member

First of all, snakes give me the willies, venomous or not. We have lived in our courtyard villa for two years now, and never saw a snake - until last week. Our beagle, Bob, was standing at the sliding patio doors, growling and bobbing his head up and down when we noticed there was a 3' black snake outside the door bobbing his head up and down at the door seal, apparently looking for a way to get inside. I ran to the garage, got a rake, and went into the yard to chase it away. I was able to get it moving (wow do those black racers go fast), but it got up into a bushy plant where I couldn't see it, so I left it there. As far as I know, it's gone now. I'll give it one chance to vacate the yard, but if I see it out there again, it'll be history (if I can catch it). Snakes are beneficial, but I can't stand the thought of one living in my yard.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:45 AM
Default Snakes

We had a little baby one swimming in our pool. We fished it out with the skimmer and sent it on his way. Love snakes. Very beneficial.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.