what is up with the urge to plant palms?

Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2014, 03:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattywampus View Post
Have learned that I would NEVER have another Live Oak.
Never ill until moved to The Villages.
After over $3800 paid to Docs and many Allergy tests, found am EXTREMELY
allergic to Spanish Moss growing on Live Oak Trees.
The Villages (?) would not permit REMOVAL the Live Oak
because it had over 4 inch diameter trunk.
Our street now pays to have that NASTY Spanish Moss removed every year.
I was not the only one allergic to Spanish Moss.
BONUS
The Live Oaks attract SQUIRRELS. To get the Acorns.
Squirrels climb on Lanai and birdcage screens and tear the screens.
.so far just $ 2100 to replace screens ...at just one house.
ADDED BONUS
The squirrels sharpen their teeth on the lead flashing
protecting your vent stacks on your roof. This causes leaks in your roof.
The leaks follow your trusses to
your ceilings. Soon you discover your ceiling is discolored from the leak.
After more than $ 2000. for repairs to ceilings and more than $1200
in mold remediation in the attic
BONUS #3
next door neighbors Live Oak was planted
by The Villages landscape contractor DIRECTLY ABOVE the sewer pipe.
They had a major sewerage backups in 2 bathrooms.
This due to the Live Oak roots infiltrating
their sewer pipe to the street.
The repair costs EXCEEDED $ 10 GRAND.
This repaired the pipes and replaced tile and some furniture.
Nobody will ever convince me that Live Oaks are nice to have.

I NEVER want a home with or near a Live Oak--
Live oaks are magnificent trees but should be planted in the proper place.

I've never known anyone to be allergic to Spanish moss.
Did you all go to the same doctor for that diagnosis?

Most of my life I have lived in areas where squirrels lived.
What you are describing might happen to 1% of people.
Your description of the squirrel scenario is an exceptional rarity.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
Instead of complaining about the lack of grass under your oaks, take advantage of the shade they provide and plant shade-loving things underneath them.

If they are that close to your driveway, obviously, they weren't planted in the correct place. You might get an arborist to trim them properly, also, but not some unknowing lawn maintenance person who doesn't know what he's doing and hacks the tree to death.
As was mentioned before, most of us live on postage stamp size lots. If you plant an oak, it HAS to be near a driveway, roof, lanai or birdcage. Not in my yard...I think I'll pass. I'll enjoy the oaks planted elsewhere where they are not a problem.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:35 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
Interesting question. The closest I can come up with as an answer:

Definition

Although "tree" is a term of common parlance, there is no universally recognised precise definition of what a tree is, either botanically or in common language.[1] In its broadest sense, a tree is any plant with the general form of an elongated stem, or trunk, which supports the photosynthetic leaves or branches at some distance above the ground.[2] Trees are also typically defined by height,[3] with smaller plants from 0.5 to 10 m (1.6 to 32.8 ft) being called shrubs,[4] so the minimum height of a tree is only loosely defined.[3] Large herbaceous plants such as papaya and bananas are trees in this broad sense.[1][5]
A commonly applied narrower definition is that a tree has a woody trunk formed by secondary growth, meaning that the trunk thickens each year by growing outwards, in addition to the primary upwards growth from the growing tip.[3][6] Under such a definition, herbaceous plants such as palms, bananas and papayas are not considered trees regardless of their height, growth form or stem girth. Certain monocots may be considered trees under a slightly looser definition;[7] while the Joshua tree, bamboos and palms do not have secondary growth and never produce true wood with growth rings,[8][9] they may produce "pseudo-wood" by lignifying cells formed by primary growth.[10]
Aside from structural definitions, trees are commonly defined by use, for instance as those plants which yield lumber.[11]
I can't describe the definition of a tree but I know one when I see one.

if critters are attracted to palm trees for camouflage imagine the camouflage they garner from majestic oaks and its height advantage.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Personally, I don't understand the fascination with those ugly, dirty live oaks.
(and while we're at it, why are the called "live" oaks?)

Palm trees are beautiful and remind me that I live in a tropical climate.

Oaks are ugly with all that Spanish moss hanging down. The block too much sunlight and create a mess all of one's property. The moss falls off, the leaves come down, the roofs get mold all over them and it's near impossible to grow grass where there is an oak.

Why are these things worshipped like Gods around here? I say chop them all down.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:14 AM

We live on a lake, and there is a common area that surrounds the lake and separates everyone's yard from the edge of the lake. The developer planted various types of trees in this common area for each home, and we got a small (about 15 foot high) live oak. Since it is not on my property, I can't do anything about it, though I do love the look of live oaks.

How fast do these things grow? For now it is a good 25 or 30 feet from the back edge of our house.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:13 PM
Platinum member

we don't live in a tropical climate. Miami, maybe, but not us. There are many other trees that can be planted if one doesn't want oaks. Many native trees that don't drop leaves. Rodents like the palms that have the brown fronds hanging down because they provide warmth and shelter, a tree is fairly open and wouldn't be as inviting. still, everyone has a right to have what they want.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Personally, I don't understand the fascination with those ugly, dirty live oaks.

(and while we're at it, why are the called "live" oaks?)

Palm trees are beautiful and remind me that I live in a tropical climate.

Oaks are ugly with all that Spanish moss hanging down. The block too much sunlight and create a mess all of one's property. The moss falls off, the leaves come down, the roofs get mold all over them and it's near impossible to grow grass where there is an oak.

Why are these things worshipped like Gods around here? I say chop them all down.

To save words, just consider my post to be the exact opposite of Doc's.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:28 PM
Sage

I recall hearing that when the master plan was approved with cutting of existing oaks and other trees a requirement was that a oak was to be planted on each lot.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:35 PM
Veteran member

The state tree of Florida is a palm tree, the ca
Old 12-20-2014, 12:40 PM
Gold member

The live oaks are great in the pasture, along the roadsides like Buena Vista at Stillwater, and on the golf courses. All most of us are saying is that in a residential yard, it's a constant mess-maker, and we like palms a lot more (the right kind of Palm for this cooler climate zone north of Kissimmee.

And whose yard is it, anyway!?!?!
Old 12-20-2014, 12:44 PM
Platinum member

the Florida state tree is a sabal palm. not sure this is what people commonly have as they are very slow growing and most people want to see results.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:03 PM
Veteran member

The state tree of Florida is a palm tree, the Cabbage Palm or Sabal palmetto. Many Palm trees can grow very well here. Although not native, the Sylvester, Pindo, and European palms are examples of Palm trees that grow well here in central Florida. Palm trees add a wonderful exotic feel to our Villages' lots. I originally had planned to plant some oak trees on my corner lot but I loved the sunsets out of my windows so I didn't want to cover the sky so I planted Sylvester palms. I kept my crapemyrtle trees and my holly trees to add some variety in the landscape. Interesting to me, when I was doing some research on live oaks, is that the trees planted on Village lots may not be the standard live oak trees you see on the golf courses. if you look around at the shopping plazas you will see smaller oak trees that I believe may be clone cultivars of oaks that either have a smaller globe growth or a narrow upright growth. Two cultivars I have read about are the "Cathedral" and "High Rise" oak trees. I would imagine that most of the trees planted by The Villages landscapers planted around new homes are these two cultivars. They will never get as big as the standard live oaks. No one has ever educated new homeowners on this, so that is why they rip them out as they don't want a monster in their yard. Today I just saw a nice group of maples with red fall color up at Laurel Manor. We probably should diversify our tree planting more, but with small lots it is understandable that people gravitate to planting palm trees.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
In 20 years the little 5,000 sq.ft. lot and home will be overwhelmed by the giant beautiful oak. This will also greatly effect the neighbor. Love those trees just not in a small yard.
We have an oak that is no more than 5 feet from the house........this is a tree that gets to be gigantic in circumferance. Should have cut it down when it was a sapling.....no one would have noticed. Palms are more appropriate for a small space.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I can't describe the definition of a tree but I know one when I see one.

if critters are attracted to palm trees for camouflage imagine the camouflage they garner from majestic oaks and its height advantage.
Critters -- specifically cockroaches and rats -- are not attracted to palm trees for camouflage.

They are attracted to palms because they live in them.
Oak trees and most other trees, do not attact cockroaches and rats.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
We have an oak that is no more than 5 feet from the house........this is a tree that gets to be gigantic in circumferance. Should have cut it down when it was a sapling.....no one would have noticed. Palms are more appropriate for a small space.
There are many trees -- dwarf and otherwise -- that would qualify for being planted close to a house.

Palm trees are not a good choice for being planted that close to a dwelling because probably, you very well could end up with rats on your roof and ultimately, in your attic.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.