what is up with the urge to plant palms?

Closed Thread
Old 12-17-2014, 09:54 PM
Veteran member
Default what is up with the urge to plant palms?

I understand many of you are new to Fla when you move in but there is a reason you see hardwoods in the country and not palms. Leave the oaks on your property.....you be grateful in ten years. The bio diversity of your neighborhood will thank you too.

A humble Villager and native Floridian
Old 12-17-2014, 10:11 PM
Gold member
Default Or plant a palm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joldnol View Post
I understand many of you are new to Fla when you move in but there is a reason you see hardwoods in the country and not palms. Leave the oaks on your property.....you be grateful in ten years. The bio diversity of your neighborhood will thank you too.

if that is what you want. We have a live oak that came with the property and we'll leave it because it's native, but I do not look forward to raking the leaves if I live long enough to do so(it also makes grass growing a lot more difficult). There is plenty of plant diversity here in TV and if you want a palm to underscore the tropical ambiance I say go for it.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:00 AM
Default No leaves for me!

Quote:

We moved here 5 years ago and only have 2 trees that produce leaves that fall off in the FALL. My last house in Georgia was FULL of trees and in FALL the lawn was covered with leaves weekly. I am sick of Leaves! Less (or No) leaves was a "benefit" for us Moving to Florida. My 2 trees that produce leaves are scheduled to be cut down in January!

A Happy and soon to be "Leafless" Floridian!
Old 12-18-2014, 12:17 AM
Gold member

There is no filthier tree than the florida oak that drops bushels of leaves, tiny sticks, and tiny acorns that rot into brown, tarry goo on the driveway and on the grass, which the rotting oak leaves/acorns kill.

In the pastures, golf course roughs, and along roadsides, they're good to keep. But in a residential yard, they are a cleaning nightmare for 8 months, and a grass-killing menace!

Thank you to everyone who's planted palms!
Old 12-18-2014, 12:27 AM
Sage

Quote:

We've only been in TV for seven years. We are not native Floridians.
However we love our double Sylvester Palm. Love it!!
Old 12-18-2014, 01:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I've been in Florida over 30 years and by design, we do not have one palm on our property. I don't know what the problem is with the leaves falling in the fall. Most residents don't do their own lawns anyway, so it isn't a problem. For those that do, a mulching mower will take care of the problem and the leaves here or there can be blown off the planted areas. Regarding the dense shade that oaks and other shade trees provide, there are many solutions to the sparse grass growing underneath them and that is not an issue.

I happen to like the birds and wildlife that many flowering trees and oaks attract. On the other hand, palms attract cockroaches in particular and other insects, and rats choose to live in their canopy. Palms also require much more maintenance than trees, which translates into $$$.

Many residents have moved here from the north and west and want the so-called tropical look of palms. Trees provide personal shade and shade from the hot sun for your house. In turn, because of the shade they provide, they do help with your electric bill.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
I've been in Florida over 30 years and by design, we do not have one palm on our property. I don't know what the problem is with the leaves falling in the fall. Most residents don't do their own lawns anyway, so it isn't a problem. For those that do, a mulching mower will take care of the problem and the leaves here or there can be blown off the planted areas. Regarding the dense shade that oaks and other shade trees provide, there are many solutions to the sparse grass growing underneath them and that is not an issue.

I happen to like the birds and wildlife that many flowering trees and oaks attract. On the other hand, palms attract cockroaches in particular and other insects, and rats choose to live in their canopy. Palms also require much more maintenance than trees, which translates into $$$.

Many residents have moved here from the north and west and want the so-called tropical look of palms. Trees provide personal shade and shade from the hot sun for your house. In turn, because of the shade they provide, they do help with your electric bill.
I completely agree. If I want to see palms, all I need to do is look around. I do not want my own personal palms!
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 12-18-2014, 06:47 AM
Sage

Have no idea why someone would be worried or even care what kind of tree someone plants in their own yard.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:30 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
Have no idea why someone would be worried or even care what kind of tree someone plants in their own yard.
I couldn't agree more! It's your yard plant what you like and enjoy it! Everyone else
Old 12-18-2014, 07:34 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

In 20 years the little 5,000 sq.ft. lot and home will be overwhelmed by the giant beautiful oak. This will also greatly effect the neighbor. Love those trees just not in a small yard.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
It does get kind of silly........................
Old 12-18-2014, 07:43 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
…. palms attract cockroaches in particular and other insects, and rats choose to live in their canopy.
[/B]
Pruning keeps rodents away!

Palm trees with slumping, dead fronds CAN attract pests such as rats, roaches, bats and snakes. Rodents may nest and breed within THICK layers of dead fronds in untrimmed palm trees and have easy access to your roof and home, especially if the fronds hang near your roofline. Sensible plant location, careful, periodic palm tree trimming and removal of fruit will help prevent unwanted pests on your property.

Critters would much prefer 'brown' vegetation to nest or hide in as it (unlike green healthy fronds) doesn't move much and provides camouflage and shade.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:06 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Gotta admit that I loathe palms. Most Northern Californians do. The palms in SoCal have ten feet of root for every foot of tree. They've drained two aquifers in LA. I really don't get the desire to introduce non-native plants, especially palms, into an area but people are going to do what they like unless not permitted legally (and there are too many laws as it is). So, for those who want them, enjoy. For those who don't, just shrug your shoulders, wince as you go by them and keep on truckin.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-18-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:

I lived up north with eight huge oak trees on my little 1/3 acre. That was 20 years of raking leaves. Lots of leaves. We swore we'd never have oak trees again.

So, it's palm trees here in Florida. We bought new, and didn't have any big trees--oak or otherwise. We're very happy with our decision to have only palm trees. We love them.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:05 AM
Sage

We love our palms, have several varieties (about 12) that grow to different heights.

Altogether about 30 of them, the mule is our favorite.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.