What would be the correct expectation here?

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2014, 02:53 PM
Default What would be the correct expectation here?

I am selling items for my client who is remodeling here in The Villages. If someone says they are coming to see that an item does that mean the expectation is that they have "brought" that item? I have had no issues up until today; prior to this if an item sold I would contact others and let them know. Today another person came and purchased the item. I contacted the other person as soon as I found out apologized and said the item was no longer available. She was not happy and insisted the item was hers and I had no right to sell it.

Is it generally expected if someone is coming to look at item they are buying it? How would you have handled this? I am just glad my client didn't have to deal with being yelled at. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Nothing is ever sold until the check clears

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 10-21-2014, 03:06 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claricecolin View Post
I am selling items for my client who is remodeling here in The Villages. If someone says they are coming to see that an item does that mean the expectation is that they have "brought" that item? I have had no issues up until today; prior to this if an item sold I would contact others and let them know. Today another person came and purchased the item. I contacted the other person as soon as I found out apologized and said the item was no longer available. She was not happy and insisted the item was hers and I had no right to sell it.

Is it generally expected if someone is coming to look at item they are buying it? How would you have handled this? I am just glad my client didn't have to deal with being yelled at. Thanks.
What kind of nut job thinks they bought something before they gave you money for it??
Old 10-21-2014, 03:06 PM

If someone called and is coming over(within the hour) you shouldn't sell it out from under him/her. However, if he or she has seen it and not paid for it...NEXT
Old 10-21-2014, 03:14 PM
Platinum member

I agree with Loudell. I had a situation where someone came to see an appliance at my home up north. She liked it but wanted to think it over. I said great but the next person was coming in an hour and I would sell it to the first person with cash. She bought it.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:19 PM

You should inform the caller if you are selling "first come first served" or if you would be willing to hold for an agreed upon time. I have always held off selling until a person who called had time to come and see the item.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

If Sellers would use the classifieds properly, you would not have these issues.

Sellers should NOT verbally or in person close the transaction. Use the web site.

There is a way to message the seller if a buyer has a question.

If you want to buy the item, you click Buy Now. Period.

If someone wants to look see, then let them do so, but they must buy through the TOTV site.

The first person to click Buy Now gets the item. Once the Buy Now has been clicked, the item is gone from the site.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcuse View Post
You should inform the caller if you are selling "first come first served" or if you would be willing to hold for an agreed upon time. I have always held off selling until a person who called had time to come and see the item.

Thank you for the responses. I will have to be more explicit then just saying there are "X" number of people that want to see this item as so far no one has asked for the item to be held (I guess she assumed it was). I will also have to add this is "first come first served"
Old 10-21-2014, 05:10 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

I personally would not expect someone to hold an item until I got there if a willing buyer got there first and wanted to buy it. There was no commitment to buy by the person coming over.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.