What would you do?

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2016, 06:27 AM
Sage
Default What would you do?

Yesterday my wife was @ the St. James gate , the car in front of her waved 10 golf carts thru the gate, there was a back up of almost 15 cars thanx to this drivers actions. she honked her horn in frustration & he pulled over and gave her a nasty stare. The golf carts have a full stop sign @ that crossing.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Yesterday my wife was @ the St. James gate , the car in front of her waved 10 golf carts thru the gate, there was a back up of almost 15 cars thanx to this drivers actions. she honked her horn in frustration & he pulled over and gave her a nasty stare. The golf carts have a full stop sign @ that crossing.
Your wife is right. She deserves an award.
This practice is so dangerous. It's time for people to learn how to navigate through these gates. The golf cart driver should not proceed. He should insist the car go through the gate correctly. Come on people. PAY ATTENTION.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

All too many times (in automobiles and carts) people have tried to wave me through (opposing traffic stopping to let me make a left hand turn being a prime example), when they clearly had the right-of-way...and thought they were being nice.

All they were really doing was creating a major hazard.

Not to mention, if something were to happen...I would have been at fault.

In my example above, I don't think they understand that if they just went ahead and drove past...I could then easily make that left hand turn.

I like to be nice myself when the conditions warrant, but will refuse to stop and let cars by/through/in/turn...if I have the ROW and I will be creating a hazard.

It really comes down to knowing the laws and creating the least amount of potential problems/conflicts.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:05 AM

I was one of those carts. We had the same conversation about the driver raising lots of bp's
Old 10-21-2016, 07:19 AM

I always refuse the offer to "go ahead and cross". The reason is that if anything happens, it is the golf cart drivers fault for not stopping. They have the stop sign. The best thing you can do is get through the gate as fast as possible, to open up the crossing.

Not a place for Florida's Friendliest to be friendly.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member

One thing I have learned in my 60 plus years is people rarely appreciate a horn honk, even people who have bumper stickers that say to honk if you love Jesus.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:48 AM
Veteran member
Default safety tips

[QUOTE=jimnc;1308740]Your wife is right. She deserves an award.
This practice is so dangerous. It's time for people to learn how to navigate through these gates. The golf cart driver should not proceed. He should insist the car go through the gate correctly. Come on people. PAY ATTENTION.
Good item.
OK now suppose you are on a bicycle, at any crossing at any street some drivers are trying to be courteous and they may stop, when they are not supposed to. I will not go out in front of a stopped car, before they stop I vigorously wave them on. If they are stopped at a spot they are not required to stop, then, when I am crossing in front of them,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Wow. They can get rear ended, there can be a fire, the car can then be pushed into me walking across. I hope this makes sense, again, if the car coming is not required to stop, then they should not stop, this causes a major hazard. Out riding my bike, I do not want to see a major accident due to this. I hope this makes sense, safety first. At any such point, I vigorously wave people to go on without stopping,,,,,,,,,,, always. Safety first folks.
bbbbbb
Old 10-21-2016, 07:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
One thing I have learned in my 60 plus years is people rarely appreciate a horn honk, even people who have bumper stickers that say to honk if you love Jesus.
You are so right, Joyce.
That same goes for the bumper sticker that says
"How's my driving? Call 1-800 EAT S***!"

Last edited by Mrs. Robinson; 10-21-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:55 AM
Veteran member

I often say "Don't be a jerk, just do what you're suppose to do."

Being a "nice guy" often confuses the other driver because they did not expect you're actions.

They expect that if you have the right of way, you'll take it and get out of the way.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
I passionately agree with this. If you were born and raised in certain parts of the country, almost NOTHING warrants a horn honk, but a car horn is engaged just like the mouth in other areas.

Incoming............
Old 10-21-2016, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I would have ground my teeth down to the gums and just sat there waiting for the idiot to go, not much else you can do in the circumstances. I use the Polo Ridge Gate and sometimes we get someone entering the gate who will stop for the carts and we get backed up onto BV - now that is scary.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 10-21-2016, 08:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
I often say "Don't be a jerk, just do what you're suppose to do."

Being a "nice guy" often confuses the other driver because they did not expect you're actions.

They expect that if you have the right of way, you'll take it and get out of the way.

Tell that to my wife, she refuses to believe me [emoji53]
Old 10-21-2016, 09:49 AM
Platinum member

I will only wave a golf cart through if the gate is backed up so much that I can not get through it. Otherwise the golf cart must wait.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,923 Times in 2,449 Posts

The gates are there for reason. the gate drops stopping traffic golf cart goes, gate opens, car goes, gate drops golf cart goes.... IMO the real problem is where cars exit from roundabout with golf cart path like Glenview.

Now, where there are stop lights like Saddlebrook intersection the gate delayed and will stay open to allow Green light traffic to proceed through. So, you are stuck till traffic cleans and right hand turner turns fast with no blinker light on, then it Holly S***.
I'll waste my breath some more. Please use blinker lights if you not doing so already!

The some cars (majority IMO from my observation) won't us blinker light and or come off Blvd so fast that carts don't have time to get out of the way. Especially being they have the little dips (drainage ditch) you have to slowly go over or get bounced out of the cart.

Then, once you get to the center on the right the big sign that blocks exiting traffic to the Blvd. Really have to be on your toes and not hesitate or poke along in the intersection. That's all I got to say about that!
Old 10-21-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
The gates are there for reason. the gate drops stopping traffic golf cart goes, gate opens, car goes, gate drops golf cart goes....
This theory would work even better if the cars would wait until the gate dropped, before they used their card to open it up. Many car drivers swipe their card while the gate is still up, making it almost impossible for a golf cart to dash in front of them. This is especially true when a golf cart is sitting in the middle of the two lanes (exit and entrance).

When the gate is broken off and a stop sign is placed at an entrance. . . STOP PEOPLE! There is no way a golf cart can take their turn if you don't stop!.

You heard me guy who made a rolling stop while entering the St. Charles gate. You did not want to take the time to stop at the stop sign, but you slowed down enough to give me the finger and yell that you had the right away.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest! I'm better now.
Closed Thread

Tags
carts, golf, gate, pulled, actions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.