What would you do?

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2016, 11:35 AM
Default What would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I would have ground my teeth down to the gums and just sat there waiting for the idiot to go, not much else you can do in the circumstances. I use the Polo Ridge Gate and sometimes we get someone entering the gate who will stop for the carts and we get backed up onto BV - now that is scary.
That's exactly what happened to me at the Polo Ridge Gate. Gave him the horn (I'm from The Bronx, what do you expect) and got the finger from the driver and his wife. Wonder where they were from? LOL !
Old 10-21-2016, 12:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant View Post
That's exactly what happened to me at the Polo Ridge Gate. Gave him the horn (I'm from The Bronx, what do you expect) and got the finger from the driver and his wife. Wonder where they were from? LOL !

Like this ? [emoji1589]
Old 10-21-2016, 02:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnc View Post
Your wife is right. She deserves an award.
This practice is so dangerous. It's time for people to learn how to navigate through these gates. The golf cart driver should not proceed. He should insist the car go through the gate correctly. Come on people. PAY ATTENTION.
When the "right of way" is yours, take it. Other methods cause confusion.

If there are many cars and carts in opposing lines, the usual custom is for each line to allow one from the other line to pass.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:05 PM
Veteran member

I'm sorry, but I'm a firm believe in "the horn". It's the only way to communicate a warning, and in this situation, that's exactly what is needed - a warning. This is a dangerous practice and as many have pointed out, it something goes wrong, the golf cart driver will be at fault for not obeying the stop sign.

When I'm in this position as golf cart driver, I just sit there and refuse the offer to proceed. At many places, you really don't have a clear idea of what's coming the other way. And I'm certain the driver "waving you on" hasn't looked themselves to see what the oncoming traffic is like.

A finally, the person doing the waving is placing themselves at risk for a rear end collision. Not everyone is as aware as we are that people do this and may be suddenly surprised to see a car stop right in front of them for no apparent reason.

I say waiting a couple of minutes to make a safe crossing is well worth it.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:38 PM
Veteran member

Not to change the subject but someone mentioned left turns. There's a monkey see, monkey do situation that's developed over the last year or two where many drivers now think the approaching driver making a left turn at an intersection has the right a way over a driver approaching from the opposite direction making a right turn. I've experienced this at intersections crossing four lane divided roads, the light turns green and the driver in front of me just stands still awaiting left turn drivers making left turns even if the standing driver is going straight or making a right turn. Drives me crazy.......... This happens in many areas of the country, not just The Villages. It's as though the someone put their hand into the world and turned it inside out. There are other examples of this as..ss backwards behavior.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant View Post

Queens?
Old 10-21-2016, 03:59 PM
Eternal Member

Yeah, there is the safety issue here and the horn honking and even a middle finger once in a great while.

However, isn't it pretty great that is about the extent of the problems here in The Villages?

Basically a city of 100,000 pretty happy people getting along mighty good with each other.

I love it here!
Old 10-21-2016, 04:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGUY View Post
I will only wave a golf cart through if the gate is backed up so much that I can not get through it. Otherwise the golf cart must wait.
Why should you ever wave a cart thru when they have the stop sign and you do not?? You become the problem!
Old 10-21-2016, 04:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCsun View Post
This theory would work even better if the cars would wait until the gate dropped, before they used their card to open it up. Many car drivers swipe their card while the gate is still up, making it almost impossible for a golf cart to dash in front of them. This is especially true when a golf cart is sitting in the middle of the two lanes (exit and entrance).

When the gate is broken off and a stop sign is placed at an entrance. . . STOP PEOPLE! There is no way a golf cart can take their turn if you don't stop!.

You heard me guy who made a rolling stop while entering the St. Charles gate. You did not want to take the time to stop at the stop sign, but you slowed down enough to give me the finger and yell that you had the right away.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest! I'm better now.
How did the cart get in the middle??

Last edited by Bogie Shooter; 10-24-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
How did the car get in the middle??
Simple.

No cars were coming in the lane(s) they just crossed, they went to the middle and they're now waiting for the other lane(s) to clear.

What happens all too often though, is when someone follows them to that center lane queuing area and thinks there's room for more than one cart to queue... while waiting for the other lane to clear.

Now they have at least one lane blocked, because their cart is hanging out into the auto lane that they just came across.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasr View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm a firm believe in "the horn". It's the only way to communicate a warning, and in this situation, that's exactly what is needed - a warning. This is a dangerous practice and as many have pointed out, it something goes wrong, the golf cart driver will be at fault for not obeying the stop sign.

When I'm in this position as golf cart driver, I just sit there and refuse the offer to proceed. At many places, you really don't have a clear idea of what's coming the other way. And I'm certain the driver "waving you on" hasn't looked themselves to see what the oncoming traffic is like.

A finally, the person doing the waving is placing themselves at risk for a rear end collision. Not everyone is as aware as we are that people do this and may be suddenly surprised to see a car stop right in front of them for no apparent reason.

I say waiting a couple of minutes to make a safe crossing is well worth it.
The correct approach!!
Old 10-21-2016, 06:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I can't believe how many people don't know the rules of the road.

At an intersection the person that gets there first has the right of way. When two cars get there at the same time, the one on the right has the right of way. I can't tell you how many times I've arrived at an intersection and the car to my right got there slightly before me and waits for me to go.

Someone doing this kind of think thinks that they are being considerate but they don't think about the people behind them.

I would have beep the horn after three golf carts.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Yesterday my wife was @ the St. James gate , the car in front of her waved 10 golf carts thru the gate, there was a back up of almost 15 cars thanx to this drivers actions. she honked her horn in frustration & he pulled over and gave her a nasty stare. The golf carts have a full stop sign @ that crossing.
Cars have the right of way, I don't like when cars stop for me when I am in the cart, I just turn my head like I don't see them,and they go thru. Cars please stop just go thru you have the right of way.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Why should you ever wave a cart thru when they have the stop sign and you do not?? You become the problem!
So true.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Simple.

No cars were coming in the lane(s) they just crossed, they went to the middle and they're now waiting for the other lane(s) to clear.

What happens all too often though, is when someone follows them to that center lane queuing area and thinks there's room for more than one cart to queue... while waiting for the other lane to clear.

Now they have at least one lane blocked, because their cart is hanging out into the auto lane that they just came across.
And should have never moved to the middle........

Tags
carts, golf, gate, pulled, actions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.