What would you do?

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2016, 09:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
And should have never moved to the middle........
Baloney.

By getting across one lane and being able to safely wait for the other lane to clear, you have less of a backup...than you would waiting for both lanes to clear.

Or haven't you ever seen a pedestrian median, whereby you get across one side and then wait in the middle on the median...for a different walk light to get across the other lanes?

It's the exact same principle.

Just out of curiosity, do you drive a golf cart much?
Old 10-21-2016, 09:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Baloney.

By getting across one lane and being able to safely wait for the other lane to clear, you have less of a backup...than you would waiting for both lanes to clear.

Or haven't you ever seen a pedestrian median, whereby you get across one side and then wait in the middle on the median...for a different walk light to get across the other lanes?

It's the exact same principle.

Just out of curiosity, do you drive a golf cart much?
Problem is that when a cart moves to the middle, some car drivers feel more obligated to stop so the cart can proceed. It's sort of a damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
Problem is that when a cart moves to the middle, some car drivers feel more obligated to stop so the cart can proceed. It's sort of a damned if you do and damned if you don't.
I understand what you're saying, but it goes right back to auto drivers knowing what to do.

While I have had drivers stop while I was in the island, a much higher % keeps moving and then I can cross when only one lane is clear...instead of waiting for both lanes to clear.

In fact, I'll bet those islands were engineered specifically to queue a golf cart (one at a time)...so as to minimize cart backups on the MMP's.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Yesterday my wife was @ the St. James gate , the car in front of her waved 10 golf carts thru the gate, there was a back up of almost 15 cars thanx to this drivers actions. she honked her horn in frustration & he pulled over and gave her a nasty stare. The golf carts have a full stop sign @ that crossing.
I've always noticed that golf cart drivers seem to think they can go through intersections 2 at a time. Why? Maybe they think because they're smaller, they can double up. That's bad enough, but 10 is grounds for irate-ness from people who actually know how to drive as opposed to the idiot who apparently loves to watch a golf cart parade.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckscounty View Post
Cars have the right of way, I don't like when cars stop for me when I am in the cart, I just turn my head like I don't see them,and they go thru. Cars please stop just go thru you have the right of way.
This is simply not true. A golf cart on the road has the same status as a car. If a golf cart and a car come to an intersection the one that gets their first has the right of way. If they both arrive at the same time, the one on the right has the right of way.

Cars only have the right of way if the golf cart has a stop sign and the car does not.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:16 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung Dum View Post
I've always noticed that golf cart drivers seem to think they can go through intersections 2 at a time. Why? Maybe they think because they're smaller, they can double up. That's bad enough, but 10 is grounds for irate-ness from people who actually know how to drive as opposed to the idiot who apparently loves to watch a golf cart parade.
I know I've had them tailgate behind my cart when I'm trying to cross behind the gates and island and get ticked off because I slowed for the uneven pavement." No bonehead, I'm not speeding across the bump because you're to impatient".
Old 10-22-2016, 08:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
This is simply not true. A golf cart on the road has the same status as a car. If a golf cart and a car come to an intersection the one that gets their first has the right of way. If they both arrive at the same time, the one on the right has the right of way.

Cars only have the right of way if the golf cart has a stop sign and the car does not.
We need to differentiate between the roadway and the MMPs. The OP referred to car drivers stopping to let carts on the MMP cross the roadway. Carts do not have the same rights as autos in that situation. I've had carts pull out from the MMP in front of my car and stick their arm out telling me to stop! Now, when both are on the roadway, they have the same rights, and responsibilities, and must follow traffic laws.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdees View Post
Not to change the subject but someone mentioned left turns. There's a monkey see, monkey do situation that's developed over the last year or two where many drivers now think the approaching driver making a left turn at an intersection has the right a way over a driver approaching from the opposite direction making a right turn. I've experienced this at intersections crossing four lane divided roads, the light turns green and the driver in front of me just stands still awaiting left turn drivers making left turns even if the standing driver is going straight or making a right turn. Drives me crazy.......... This happens in many areas of the country, not just The Villages. It's as though the someone put their hand into the world and turned it inside out. There are other examples of this as..ss backwards behavior.
You are sooooo correct!
More and more, it seems that the driver making a left feels he has the right to race or compete to make his turn first. WRONG! I also don't care for those who make their left at the same time I'm making a right because there are 2 lanes. In NY, that is illegal, I don't know about Florida. In either case it is unsafe, since there are a lot of drivers here who can't manage to keep their cars in their own lane on a straightaway, much less a turn, and neither driver is sure of the other's intention. This is also true of those who make a right on red or turn out of a parking lot---you don't get to race, and the same is true even if there are 2 or more lanes. I've seen a lot of near misses on 466, 466A, 44, and 441 when someone pulls out of a street or parking lot because the oncoming traffic is in the left lane, only to find that oncoming car was in the process of changing lanes.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
We need to differentiate between the roadway and the MMPs. The OP referred to car drivers stopping to let carts on the MMP cross the roadway. Carts do not have the same rights as autos in that situation. I've had carts pull out from the MMP in front of my car and stick their arm out telling me to stop! Now, when both are on the roadway, they have the same rights, and responsibilities, and must follow traffic laws.
I think most of them are sticking their arm out as a hand signal indicating a left turn, not as a demand to "stop"
Old 10-22-2016, 09:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I think most of them are sticking their arm out as a hand signal indicating a left turn, not as a demand to "stop"
Could be, but in the instances I have encountered it was the full wrist bent, palm facing me like a traffic cop. Unmistakeable. I think some feel the cart crossing lanes are like a pedestrian crosswalk and carts are treated like pedestrians within that lane. Not many, but some.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Could be, but in the instances I have encountered it was the full wrist bent, palm facing me like a traffic cop. Unmistakeable. I think some feel the cart crossing lanes are like a pedestrian crosswalk and carts are treated like pedestrians within that lane. Not many, but some.
I've seen that one too. In the absence of being able to read their minds, and given the way they drive in general, I attributed it to wrist spasms
Old 10-22-2016, 10:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I've seen that one too. In the absence of being able to read their minds, and given the way they drive in general, I attributed it to wrist spasms
Carpal Tunnel relief...from previous life.

Old 10-22-2016, 03:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Carpal Tunnel relief...from previous life.

You're right! I can zero in and spot that inflammation immediately. I was gifted with Carpal Tunnel Vision.
Closed Thread

Tags
carts, golf, gate, pulled, actions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.