What's the problem with the shingles?

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2014, 08:35 AM
Sage
Default What's the problem with the shingles?

I believe the problem with the Owens Corning shingles started before we moved here. I have read many threads on this problem but never knew what the problem was with the shingles and why they needed to be replaced? I find that when it rains, the little black "beads" come off the roof. Is that what part of the problem was and should I be concerned?
Old 09-17-2014, 08:56 AM
Sage

Call the warranty department and they will let you know if your shingles were the defective type installed.

I may be wrong but I believe your house was built outside the time frame for the defective shingles. Couldn't hurt to check.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 09-17-2014, 09:13 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
I believe the problem with the Owens Corning shingles started before we moved here. I have read many threads on this problem but never knew what the problem was with the shingles and why they needed to be replaced? I find that when it rains, the little black "beads" come off the roof. Is that what part of the problem was and should I be concerned?
The problem with the shingles deemed defective is when they were manufactured the aggregate, or stones were not properly pressed into the matting.
This occurred in their Jacksonville Florida plant. The rollers were not adjusted correctly, resulting in the stones not fully adhering to the substrate. This has caused premature wear and stone loss.

Now understand that SOME stone loss is normal, especially on a new roof. Through the years more stone can and will detach and that is normal. On the defective shingles, this happens prematurely and at an increased rate. There is a certain look to them, and when walking on these defective shingles they feel different. You can see areas of sparse stone and small "pockmarks" where stone has come off. You can sometimes find copious amounts of loose stone in the gutters and at the end of the downspouts. The result is that a roof that is only about 3 years old will look like a roof that is 8-10 years old.

One of the problems here is that because SOME stone loss is normal, some folks are quick to assume that they have defective shingles, when they do not.

Hope that helps!

Respectfully, Frank
Old 09-17-2014, 11:59 AM
Sage

Just had my roof inspection done and the shingles are defective. My roof was installed in late '05/early '06. The shingle samples they took off had deteriorated to the point the fiberglass reinforcement was showing through. Now I have to wait for Owens-Corning to agree and authorize a new roof.

Earlier I had one gutter about half filled over its entire length with granules and granules were continually washing out the downspouts and into the landscaping.

I would advise any homeowner with the suspect model of these shingles to have the roof inspected.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:35 PM

I can say that I have been dealing with owen corning for well over a year just to get my shingles tested. I have a claim # and everytime I call I get promised to be placed on the fast track, because I have been waiting for them to respond to this for so long (lol, lol, lol) so far not one contact to check the shingles. don't know what recourse I have (if any at this point) these people just keep stringing me along and I have no way to hold them accountable. has anyone else had to deal with this situation and if so what is the resolution to the problem????
Old 10-27-2014, 06:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybadger#47 View Post
I can say that I have been dealing with owen corning for well over a year just to get my shingles tested. I have a claim # and everytime I call I get promised to be placed on the fast track, because I have been waiting for them to respond to this for so long (lol, lol, lol) so far not one contact to check the shingles. don't know what recourse I have (if any at this point) these people just keep stringing me along and I have no way to hold them accountable. has anyone else had to deal with this situation and if so what is the resolution to the problem????
We had a roofing company assist us in getting an inspection done (by them) and samples taken to send to Owens Corning with our claim number. OC sent us a claim form detailing all that was needed and we took that to the roofing company. About two weeks after the roofing company looked at our roof, OC sent someone out to look at it. BTW, OC says our roof is fine, despite the deteriorated shingles we sent in. We are appealing the decision.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts
Default Shingle failure

There is a lot of information on the POA website.
Property Owners, Association of Florida
Old 10-28-2014, 07:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Our roof was replaced after the tornado in 2007. We filed a claim a few months ago to be on the safe side. OC sent someone out to check the roof, and it turned out the shingles were defective. They are paying us full replacement costs for the roof - materials/shingles and labor. My understanding is that you only have to the end of this year to get your claim in.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:01 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

When I saw the title of the post, I thought my experience as a pharmacist might be helpful. Wrong shingles.....never mind.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:41 PM
Default Batterbee Roofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybadger#47 View Post
I just had my roof replaced by Batterbee Roofing. I filed a claim with Owens Corning at the end of May. Five of six of my immediate neighbors were approved for replacement, two have been completed and a seventh neighbor just started the process. After obtaining a claim number and awaiting a response from Owens, I found out that Batterbee will come out, inspect your roof and remove suspect shingles and submit the samples to Owens for $75.00. (I'm told I will get reimbursed). It is my understanding that the shingles are read by a machine to determine if they are defective. I witnessed the removal and my samples had numerous bare spots the size of dimes and quarters. My gutters would also have plenty of stones piled in them. Batterbee handled everything for me and I am very satisfied with them coordinating the process. The new shingles were supplied by Owens and a check was issued that I co-signed with Batterbee. I opted to pay for a fifty year shingle with a much better warranty for approximately $500.

The concern I have in all of this goes back to last year. When I saw all the roofs being replaced my neighbors and I contacted Warranty and we were told our shingles were not part of the problem. HOA and POA issued correspondence from Owens that the bad shingles were on homes built after January of 2007. Our homes were built in 2006. I called Warranty again in May and was again told that even though ours were the "defective" Oakridge shingles, they were not looking at homes built in 2006. I knew this was wrong because I knew people whose homes were built in 2006 that had already had their roofs replaced.

My other concern is for my one neighbor whose roof was deemed ok. Our seven homes were all built at the same time by the same builder and roofer using the same roofing shingles. His claim has been "closed" and we are all getting new roofs.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.