Wii Remote Problem

Closed Thread
Old 04-23-2015, 04:10 PM
Default Wii Remote Problem

I haven't used the Wii in quite a while. Yesterday signed up for Netflix hoping to stream shows through the Wii. The remote will not work. Tried new batteries (that do work in my TV remote), unplugged everything including the sensor bar , sync'd remote as booklet described, and for the life of me, I don't understand why the remote doesn't even light up. I did get the Wii screen with Netflix option, shopping, etc., but I also got a message "an error has occurred, refer to your operations manual" (no error code mentioned). Turned the whole thing off again and then got the Wii screen back, but still no remote control usage.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't mind paying someone to come and look at it.
Thank you in advance.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:26 PM
Gold member

Do you only have one hand held controller?
Old 04-24-2015, 09:40 PM
Sage

You can buy a new remote for around $15 on Amazon
Old 04-25-2015, 06:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Not knowing how long the remote has been idle....were the batteries taken out?
If not and left long enough the batteries will corrode or weep at the seems.
Be sure to clean the coil springs and the fixed contact at the other end.

If the remote is not lighting up first thought is bad remote. Do you know anybody else that has a Wii? Rec centers?
Take your remote to see if they or it works with another box. Or get a known good remote to see if the unit is OK?

This should at least help isolate where the problem might be.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:00 AM
Veteran member

It is a strange critter. To reboot the master unit you not only have to unplug from the outlet, you must unplug the power cord from the master unit. Try this, wait for about a minute then plug the power cord back into the master, then the other end into the wall outlet. Good luck!
Old 04-25-2015, 11:11 AM

Thank you so much for all the advice. I had not tried remote #2 because I had always used #1 and thought that's the only one you could use for say, Netflix. Remote #2 is working and I am now in business. Thanks again.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.