Wiring a dehumidistat

Closed Thread
Old 06-30-2009, 10:19 AM
Default Wiring a dehumidistat

Bought a dehumidistat---the same one that MUNN's uses (Honeywell H46C). I have the Carrier thermostat FY4A. I want the parallel wiring hook-up.. Does anyone have simple instructions on how to install the dehumidistat? (it's ONLY two wires) I can't make heads or tails out of the instructions that came with it....
Old 06-30-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditzyfitzy View Post
Bought a dehumidistat---the same one that MUNN's uses (Honeywell H46C). I have the Carrier thermostat FY4A. I want the parallel wiring hook-up.. Does anyone have simple instructions on how to install the dehumidistat? (it's ONLY two wires) I can't make heads or tails out of the instructions that came with it....
The thermostat probably has four wires: Red(low voltage line), Green (Fan relay), White (Heat relay) and Yellow (Cooling contactor). To wire in parallel, simple attach one of the dehumidistat wires under the yellow wire terminal(with the yellow wire) and one of the wires under the red wire terminal(with the red wire). Now your air conditioner will run if either the relative humidity rises above the setting you establish OR the temperature rises above the thermostat cooling setting (even if the relative humidity does not reach the setting you establish).

If you wire in series, you would disconnect the yellow wire and attach one of the dehumidistat wires to it with a wire nut and attach the of other dehumidistat wire to the terminal where the yellow wire was. In this situation, the air conditioner will run only if both the relative humidity rises above the setting you establish AND the temperature rises above the thermostat cooling setting. If the thermostat setting is not low enough, the air conditioner will stop running before the relative humidity desired is reached.

In either case, you probably need about 2 or 3 foot of 18/2 thermostat wire since the dehumidistat wires will not reach to the thermostat. Wire nut the thermostat wire to the dehumidistat wires to extend them to the tstat.

Check this site:

http://www.rancoetc.com/manuals/j10-809_wiring.pdf

It mentions things to consider when wiring in parallel and in series for a dehumidistat.

IN ALL CASES, MAKE SURE YOU TURN OFF THE BREAKER FOR THE AIR HANDLER before touching the thermostat wires. You do not have to turn off the compressor breaker.

Good luck.

BTW, I wired mine in series because I wanted the humidity to control the air conditioner and not the temperature when I am away.

Last edited by iaudit; 06-30-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:02 PM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=iaudit;212022]The thermostat probably has four wires: Red(low voltage line), Green (Fan relay), White (Heat relay) and Yellow (Cooling contactor). To wire in parallel, simple attach one of the dehumidistat wires under the yellow wire terminal(with the yellow wire) and one of the wires under the red wire terminal(with the red wire). Now your air conditioner will run if either the relative humidity rises above the setting you establish OR the temperature rises above the thermostat cooling setting (even if the relative humidity does not reach the setting you establish).

If you wire in series, you would disconnect the yellow wire and attach one of the dehumidistat wires to it with a wire nut and attach the of other dehumidistat wire to the terminal where the red wire was. In this situation, the air conditioner will run only if both the relative humidity rises above the setting you establish AND the temperature rises above the thermostat cooling setting. If the thermostat setting is not high enough, the air conditioner will stop running before the relative humidity desired is reached.

In either case, you probably need about 2 or 3 foot of 18/2 thermostat wire since the dehumidistat wires will not reach to the thermostat. Wire nut the thermostat wire to the dehumidistat wires to extend them to the tstat.

Check this site:

It mentions things to consider when wiring in parallel and in series for a dehumidistat.

IN ALL CASES, MAKE SURE YOU TURN OFF THE BREAKER FOR THE AIR HANDLER before touching the thermostat wires. You do not have to turn off the compressor breaker.

Good luck.

BTW, I wired mine in series because I wanted the humidity to control the air conditioner and not the temperature when I am away.[/QUOTE

Thank you for the site. I wired mine in parallel and didn't see the point of doing it in series. After reading the article I could see where both systems would work equally as good. I know John The Handiman wires these up and does a great job.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:19 PM
Veteran member
Default Time to call Handie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditzyfitzy View Post
Time to call Handie
Wanabee future TVer
Old 06-30-2009, 05:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaudit View Post
The thermostat probably has four wires: Red(low voltage line), Green (Fan relay), White (Heat relay) and Yellow (Cooling contactor). To wire in parallel, simple attach one of the dehumidistat wires under the yellow wire terminal(with the yellow wire) and one of the wires under the red wire terminal(with the red wire). Now your air conditioner will run if either the relative humidity rises above the setting you establish OR the temperature rises above the thermostat cooling setting (even if the relative humidity does not reach the setting you establish).

If you wire in series, you would disconnect the yellow wire and attach one of the dehumidistat wires to it with a wire nut and attach the of other dehumidistat wire to the terminal where the yellow wire was. In this situation, the air conditioner will run only if both the relative humidity rises above the setting you establish AND the temperature rises above the thermostat cooling setting. If the thermostat setting is not low enough, the air conditioner will stop running before the relative humidity desired is reached.

Check this site:

Good luck.

BTW, I wired mine in series because I wanted the humidity to control the air conditioner and not the temperature when I am away.
THANKS IAUDIT
THATS THE BEST EXPLANATION I'VE SEEN YET,,,,I PRINTED IT OFF AND INTEND TO USE IT .....

FUMAR ,,,,
Old 07-01-2009, 06:07 AM

What would be a safe relative humidity set point for the summer?
Thanks
Old 07-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Default humidistat setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricthemic View Post
What would be a safe relative humidity set point for the summer?
Thanks
Our is set to 60% while away in the summer.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaudit View Post

Check this site:

Good luck.

Excellent explanation of " how to". If all else fails I am.............
Handieman
Old 05-21-2012, 12:34 AM
Veteran member

Setting on dehumidistat should be set at 60. Mold cannot survive at that setting.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.